Cam Jump Guard now official recall( UK anyway) - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 2012, 11:49 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Cam Jump Guard now official recall( UK anyway)

Popped into Dick Lovetts Motorrad in Bristol today and just mentioned that my bike still occasionally makes the clatter at start-up, after Mike assuring me that it is pretty normal for most, he got the mechanic out to chat who then said he'd just seen an update from BMW on the system, so after a quick look they found the update and printed it out and it seems that either yesterday or the day before BMW have finally released a recall to fit the jump guard under a warranty recall to 1300 and 1200 bikes, my bike is now booked in, yippee.

PS: Whether BM actively contacts owners remains to be seen.

Tim
------------------

2011 K1300GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 2012, 2:58 pm
Enthusiast

Nice, but I gather there's no way in firery hell BMW will address the fact that many owners had out of pocket expenses due to the failure of the component(s) that led them to take the plunge and install a $7 part . Maybe it will hit the states in another 3 years....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Message sent from my Radio Shack TRS-80 using a keyboard and electricity.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 2012, 3:35 pm
Noob

interesting, I wonder if it will also encompass Canadian bikes..
I'll have to do some checking.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 2012, 4:56 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by moymurfs
Nice, but I gather there's no way in firery hell BMW will address the fact that many owners had out of pocket expenses due to the failure of the component(s) that led them to take the plunge and install a $7 part . Maybe it will hit the states in another 3 years....
Can I get a Hallelujah Brother!

Ain't no way they'll ever go back and make things right. I would like to see the actual service bulletin / recall though. Would like to make a copy of it and send corporate a bill for $8600 just for the hell of it.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 2012, 6:57 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_W
a bill for $8600 just for the hell of it.

OUCH!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Message sent from my Radio Shack TRS-80 using a keyboard and electricity.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 2012, 7:07 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by moymurfs
OUCH!
Mine was over $13,000! Do you think they will send a check to the extended warranty company?

2013 Honda Goldwing F6B
1970 Norton Commando
820,000+ miles on 2 wheels in 39 years

Past experience: 2012 Victory Vision, 2011 Triumph Sprint GT, 2007 K1200GT 88,000 miles and rebuilt, 51 Vincent Special, 08 B-King, 07 Redneck Undresser, 06 K1200 S (final drive failure), 04 ST1300, 04 Hyabusa, 04 Aprilia Futura, 00 Softail, 98 Buell S3T, 98 Electra Glide, 97 Electra Glide, 94 Low Rider, 92 Fatboy, 91 FXRP, 90 Buell RS 1200, 83 Electra Glide, 83 XL Roadster, 74 XLCH, 74 Triumph TR5T plus 6 custom built Hard Tail Choppers!
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 2012, 11:51 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special-K
PS: Whether BM actively contacts owners remains to be seen.
As does whether we will ever see something like this in North America.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 2012, 10:39 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1951vbs
Mine was over $13,000! Do you think they will send a check to the extended warranty company?
No but they'll be happy to sell you a bike at full cost and then throw in $1200 bucks of "accessories". You know...crap you would have bought anyway.

Cause they value your business SOOO much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller
As does whether we will ever see something like this in North America.
Eh...maybe not. But at this point with so many bikes either being upgraded or dead or just faded into memory it's probably not a big deal for them to do it.

If they do I bet I won't see a notice in the mail!

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 24th, 2012, 4:14 pm
Noob

@OP
Can you tell us what the recall number is on the update you have printed?
I'm going to try and chase this through..
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 2012, 1:28 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtownbiomed
@OP
Can you tell us what the recall number is on the update you have printed?
I'm going to try and chase this through..

Sorry no, the dealer printed it out but didnt hand it over, I will see if I can get the number when I go back for the job

Tim
------------------

2011 K1300GT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode