Can you say BMW = "Highway Robbery" - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2012, 6:24 pm Thread Starter
jsh
Noob

Can you say BMW = "Highway Robbery"

So I posted some time ago about fuel smell on the bike and not quite being able to locate same. It progressively got worse over the summer to the point that the fumes from the bike made me feel ill when riding. Ah, the lure of the open road and the smell of continual gas fumes.........

Well last weekend I decided I would get to the bottom of the issue since I am a little concerned about my garage blowing up if a spark were to happen out there.

So plastics off, tank out. Still no sign of any leakage and I had replaced the male elbow that goes into the female connector at the fuel pump @ month ago. Inspecting the fuel line it felt a little soft so I thought what the hell may as well replace it. So out comes the battery and air box. Don't get me started on removing that shit. So I locate where the fuel line goes into the support that is attached to the fuel rails. Using my tin snips to remove the wonderful proprietary clamp and I hear a snap. Well it was the plastic tit piece that comes out of the support. So I am like "oh crud!" (nice play on words). Well I proceed to remove the support from the fuel rails (Don't get me started on removing those pieces either). Well I finally get the support out and call the local Ride West BMW Stealership inquiring about replacing the part. They say we have some bad news - BMW no longer just sells that part number 13537671548 for $6.90. They now sell the entire unit which runs $301.00. I'm like nice, a 4 year old bike and they no longer sell the individual piece anymore. So moral of story - do not break that little plastic piece otherwise it is going to cost you an arm and a leg. Also, if any of you guys have an extra support or know of anyone that has one laying around please let me know.

I still cannot believe that BMW can get away with jacking the world, no wonder they have one of the best economies.

Seriously considering going back to a non BMW bike after this little fiasco.........fix it and dump it......

And just to make matters even worse did I tell you I quit smoking 5 weeks ago.

Thanks for listening to me vent,

J
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	001 (320x240).jpg
Views:	96
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	13950   Click image for larger version

Name:	002 (320x240).jpg
Views:	66
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	13951   Click image for larger version

Name:	003 (320x240).jpg
Views:	74
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	13952   Click image for larger version

Name:	004 (320x240).jpg
Views:	91
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	13953  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2012, 6:39 pm
Noob

Fuel pump replacement

Several weeks ago I posted about leak coming from my bike. I took it to dealer to find location of leak. They said a piece on fuel pump broke which could not be sold separately so I ended up getting fuel pump 540, O Ring 9, 90 degree fuel connection 19 and grommet 2 dollars respectively. I contacted BMW of North America for help as I felt it was a dangerous situation with fuel leaking on hot engine. They weren't concerned as bike was more then 3 months out from end of warranty. I have thus filed a complaint with the National Transportation and Safety Board. I'm not a happy camper after this fiasco.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2012, 7:32 pm
Veteran

It may be plastic but it's not CHEAP plastic!

Congrats on giving up tobaccy, I been off the tit for a year now, feels great!

"No problem is so big or so complicated that it can't be run away from"

Dark Graphite: Making bikes faster for over 40 years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2012, 11:13 am Thread Starter
jsh
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24unc
Several weeks ago I posted about leak coming from my bike. I took it to dealer to find location of leak. They said a piece on fuel pump broke which could not be sold separately so I ended up getting fuel pump 540, O Ring 9, 90 degree fuel connection 19 and grommet 2 dollars respectively. I contacted BMW of North America for help as I felt it was a dangerous situation with fuel leaking on hot engine. They weren't concerned as bike was more then 3 months out from end of warranty. I have thus filed a complaint with the National Transportation and Safety Board. I'm not a happy camper after this fiasco.
I feel your pain, my $6.00/$301.00 plastic part is now sounding quite a bit cheaper after hearing your story. Although I will say I do not think the fuel smell was coming from the fuel line after going through all of this..........
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2012, 11:17 am Thread Starter
jsh
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillyWI
Congrats on giving up tobaccy, I been off the tit for a year now, feels great!
Thanks Gilly - I have to say it was a good test when that part broke, the first thing I wanted was a cig. Just to help me think the issue through. It is not easy, taking it minute by minute - cold turkey...........after 40 years..........
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2012, 1:53 pm
Enthusiast

Hmmmm, I have never smoked, but seriously considering taking it up from time to time when encountering issues with the GT. Fortunately, riding it stops the urge.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Message sent from my Radio Shack TRS-80 using a keyboard and electricity.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2012, 3:42 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsh
And just to make matters even worse did I tell you I quit smoking 5 weeks ago.

Thanks for listening to me vent,

J
Venting is good for you. BMW may provide for that many times over.

Congrats on the tobacco break-off too. My ex stopped cold turkey after 25 years and never went back She turned into a crazy cat lady hoarder after that.

I stopped all alcohol a year ago, even beer, since a husband and wife I knew from work both died within a month of each other from esophageal cancer. Guess it washed off the mucus lining and their acid reflux kicked in and then it went off into throat cancer. Decided it might not be the best stuff then at their funerals as they were always the "beer after work, and wine with dinner weekender" types. Then I saw it being placed on the known carcinogen list this year along with tobacco. Figured something was up with it long before that announcement made by the feds this year.

Mack
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2012, 5:32 pm

jsh said:
"I still cannot believe that BMW can get away with jacking the world, no wonder they have one of the best economies.

Seriously considering going back to a non BMW bike after this little fiasco.........fix it and dump it......"

I sold my GT and don't miss it one bit! I like to visit this forum as it continually reinforces my decision.

2013 Honda Goldwing F6B
1970 Norton Commando
820,000+ miles on 2 wheels in 39 years

Past experience: 2012 Victory Vision, 2011 Triumph Sprint GT, 2007 K1200GT 88,000 miles and rebuilt, 51 Vincent Special, 08 B-King, 07 Redneck Undresser, 06 K1200 S (final drive failure), 04 ST1300, 04 Hyabusa, 04 Aprilia Futura, 00 Softail, 98 Buell S3T, 98 Electra Glide, 97 Electra Glide, 94 Low Rider, 92 Fatboy, 91 FXRP, 90 Buell RS 1200, 83 Electra Glide, 83 XL Roadster, 74 XLCH, 74 Triumph TR5T plus 6 custom built Hard Tail Choppers!
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 2012, 10:55 am

I feel your pain.
I installed the pc-v last week.
I had those parts out no less than 5 times ..(.because I am a silly silly man).
I wish I would have read your post earlier that is if you posted before you broke that piece off.
I got very good at removing the whole fuel line without taking it apart..injectors and all come our as one piece.
So before you put it all back together as separate peises and struggle to get them together then find that you never seated one side right. Then when you start it up you fill the garage floor with gas before you notice, and then have to take it all apart again...um ok thats what happened to me.
Cut all the zip ties on the big wire main feed. push it up and out of the way. put the fuel tube with injectors and fuel line together. You should have room with out the main harness in the way to slip it in behind the throttle bodies, find the injector holes and slide it right in. Once you get the angle it goes in easy. A little push to seat them, and then just rout the fuel line in place, put new zip times on main harness and you should be done.

I broke the the drain hose on the air box...BMW uses crap plastics, no wander we all have issues.
I also used large hose clamps in the throttle bodies, you just have to make sure they do not interfere with linkage.
One last thought on this...would it be possible to find a small threaded fitting that you might be able to use instead of buying a whole new peice. Tap the fuel (head) then screw in the threaded fitting...that is what I did for my drain whole in the airbox. you may be able to find one at a factory supply store or other fitting place.

Hope this help once you get you new pieces for the insall.
Kevin

Last edited by KGK1200GT; Oct 30th, 2012 at 11:01 am.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 2012, 1:39 pm
Enthusiast

similar but different

I had the reverse message told me when my clutch was leaking (slightly) on the handlebar. I was told it was the piston. Then i was told the bike isn't old enough for them to make just the piston yet, you need to buy the whole assembly for $400. I was not a happy camper. Feelin' your pain.

2006 GT
2002 RT sold
1985 Maxim X sold

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode