New C650GT Scooters Are In!!! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2012, 10:14 pm Thread Starter
Noob

New C650GT Scooters Are In!!!

Just traded my 2007 K1200GT in on a black 2013 C650GT on Friday. Probably won't get a chance to ride it until I move to AZ at the end of Nov, beginning of Dec. Until then I'm letting the dealer keep it in his showroom.

I told the dealer at least 15 years ago that if BMW ever got serious about scooters I'd buy the first one. And the new scooters are VERY serious. Seems I'm a man of my word.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2012, 12:50 am
JCW
contributor

Hard for me to get excited about a scooter.

but, different strokes...

'06 K1200R- in pieces
'73 Honda CB500F- slow but fun.
'77 Yamaha XS 750 triple- kinda
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2012, 8:09 am
Addict

as i agree to each his own how do you go from an awesome powerful machine like the k12gt to a scooter please explain

i've spent most my money on bike's boat's and broad's the rest i've wasted..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2012, 8:27 am Thread Starter
Noob

Scooter Purchase Explained

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes-ss
as i agree to each his own how do you go from an awesome powerful machine like the k12gt to a scooter please explain
I've had everything in my lifetime including 1, 2, 3, 4 and even 6cyl bikes (1979 & 1981 Honda CBX). I even had a turbo-charged Honda CX500T. I was also the Sales Manager of a dealership which sold all 4 Japanese makes in the days before this modern era of motorcycles by BMW. So I had demo's or chances to ride every hot new model there was. For me, I don't think it's necessary to have an incredible amount of power in order to have a good time on 2 wheels.

I believe this bike and yes I referring to it as a bike, will be comfortable, versatile, convenient and have all the power needed to have a good time. Think about it, how many of you long time BMW owners rode countless miles on what today would be called incredibly underpowered airhead bikes? Whether I'm out putting around on a day trip or if I decide to, "Head out on highways, looking for adventure, in whatever comes my way..." I feel this new BMW will be great fun.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2012, 10:43 am
Veteran

I have the S1000RR next to the K1200GT. I refer to it as a "scooter" at times, even though it will blow the doors off anything around it should I crack the throttle on it.

Nothing like a 350 pound 200HP "Rascal" scooter against some overweight 650-950 pound bike. Less weight is very nice in sticky situations where the KGT gets a bit heavy and crashes to the ground costing a few thousand dollars in damages. Been there. Done that. Tired of that too.

Have fun with the new garage toy!

Mack
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2012, 11:31 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsPhilD
I've had everything in my lifetime including 1, 2, 3, 4 and even 6cyl bikes (1979 & 1981 Honda CBX). I even had a turbo-charged Honda CX500T. I was also the Sales Manager of a dealership which sold all 4 Japanese makes in the days before this modern era of motorcycles by BMW. So I had demo's or chances to ride every hot new model there was. For me, I don't think it's necessary to have an incredible amount of power in order to have a good time on 2 wheels.

I believe this bike and yes I referring to it as a bike, will be comfortable, versatile, convenient and have all the power needed to have a good time. Think about it, how many of you long time BMW owners rode countless miles on what today would be called incredibly underpowered airhead bikes? Whether I'm out putting around on a day trip or if I decide to, "Head out on highways, looking for adventure, in whatever comes my way..." I feel this new BMW will be great fun.

thank you and i can see your point as i have not been flourished with so many differant type of bike's i do like the scooter just not for me ....yet anyway.lol!! cant wait for your review's

i've spent most my money on bike's boat's and broad's the rest i've wasted..
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2012, 2:53 pm
Veteran

Well I might as well chime in, it looks like I am going to do exactly the same thing.
It has been an awesome ride for the last 4 yrs, but I am getting a scooter too.

Mainly, the 1200GT is like "way" overboard for what I use it for. It's so wickedly fast, yet at work and home it's a bit of an ox.

The rep it has as a "problem child" of BMW lore is not wasted on me and I am getting out before something breaks, like I almost had with the rear shock refusing to adjust. I don't think I need to go over all the other disaster potentials.

To it's credit it is "the real deal", not a cheap copy, I have never been sorry I bought it instead of a Japanese imitator.

YES I will miss the power and thrill of driving it.

I rode a C650GT yesterday and really liked it, very solid feel and good amount of power.

Mainly I commute (again a wedge 4 is bit of an overkill for this work), but if the bug bites ans I want a long weekend trip or longer, this "scooter" will handle it fine.

It looks like I will be taking the 1200GT to the dealer tomorrow, my trade will be my deposit on the new scooter. Getting a very good trade-in on the 1200GT, I will owe a little to get the new scooter, not much at all.

"No problem is so big or so complicated that it can't be run away from"

Dark Graphite: Making bikes faster for over 40 years.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 28th, 2012, 3:20 pm
Veteran

Oh, plus I've had the cop lights flashed at me at least twice this year alone, and more in the previous 3 yrs as well :-P

"No problem is so big or so complicated that it can't be run away from"

Dark Graphite: Making bikes faster for over 40 years.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2012, 12:02 pm
Addict

Your decision. If ya don't need it...why ride it....the GT of course is what I'm talking about.

Like people driving pick-up trucks that never haul or 4 wheelers that never go off-road.
A big bike isn't needed to ride around town. Unless you're the HD type riding 5 blocks to the coffee shop and then stare at the bike.

My bike...for better or worse mainly sits waiting for my next weekend trip or long distance two up trip. And let me say I don't take these rides every weekend. But when I do ride it...I ride it.

If I had a need for a bike for a shorter distance I'd get a scooter or maybe a Royal Enfield .
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Oct 29th, 2012, 1:47 pm
Addict-oholic

Actually, A scooter parked next to my 1300Gt I am more crazy then she does already.

I started on scooters, in 1956, buying a Vespa in Milan, riding it across the Alps to Paris and then shipped it home. The scooter could only do 30mph on a hill and 45 to 50mph on the flat.
BTW, that is a Bermuda Bell underneath the floorboard.

I kept it just a few years before I started buying bikes that could go faster for the next 50 plus years.

I am planning a test ride next week, just for fun.............stay tuned
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	larry on vespa.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	197.0 KB
ID:	13959  

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode