Bill Mayer review - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 14th, 2012, 11:22 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Bill Mayer review

New member here, bought a used ('08) K12GT last month, put a thousand miles on it so far. Just back from a Bill Mayers Saddle ride-in visit, thought I'd make my first post...
After a few days riding, I knew this bike needed a better seat to turn it into the asphalt-eater it is. I got lucky and ran into a K12GT owner at Alice's who let me try out his seat, and I then decided to give BMS a try. It was a 750 mile roundtrip from the SF Bay area to the Ojai shop. I left Tuesday, got a hotel room, and arrived at BMS at the pre-arranged 7am Wednesday morning arrival time. The shop had three ride-in customers for the morning session, I was the first to arrive, and was done and out the door by 11:30am. The guys in the shop work on several fittings at a time, and really know their stuff. Don't second guess them, answer what they're asking, and be specific. I had 4-5 fittings and two test rides before we agreed we had the design right. I just had the front seat done in a matching vinyl, and am highly pleased with the outcome. I knocked off the last 4 hours/ 250 miles non-stop on the way home with no issues. I'm an aggresive twisties rider, as well as a long distance tourer, and needed a seat that worked well for both. $450 well spent.
Here's my stats: 6'0", 31" inseam, 175#. I'm a forward, upright sitter. With a long torso, I have to reach for the bars even in the full back/up position, so I ride pretty close to the tank. For my height, the upper seat position worked better, but the lower/forward seat position put me in a preferred location. My problem was when sitting in the upper seat position and sitting on the front of the seat, the front of the seat pan dug into my legs, on top of the usual hot-spots created by the OE seat. So the solution was to built up the seat foam to the high height but but with the pan in the low/forward position, while adding some tractor-seat shaping for support. BMS has several different density foams, we went with the medium/firm for the "saddle", which is then covered by two other layers of thin "magic" foam (my words, not their's). The customer is actively involved from start to finish, and everyone is pleasant to deal with.
Rocky (Bill III) Mayer is familiar with the K12GT, as he has one in his current stable of bikes. It's currently for sale, and he says he'll throw in a custom re-fitting of the BMS seat on it for free ;-)
Two unexpected benefits - the ride harshness in the 'Sport' mode is gone, and the seat heat feels more evenly spread out instead of just burning your two seat-bone contact points.

Last edited by troyt; Nov 16th, 2012 at 11:30 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2012, 1:41 am
IBR# 366

The day I picked up my '07 K12GT, I rode to Bill's shop to get the seats done. They measured and fitted my wife that afternoon, then I came back the next morning to get mine done (I live 1/2 hour from him).

There were three GTs there that day, one of each color.

When it was finished, I rode to Sacramento, had the 600-mile service done the next morning, then rode on to Oregon that night.

That seat lasted 138K miles on the '07, 12K on the next GT, and 26K on the next. I did have it rebuilt every 50-60K miles or so, as the foam will eventually start to "settle", but I've done dozens of thousand-mile days on that seat in great comfort.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Last edited by Meese; Nov 15th, 2012 at 3:00 am.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2012, 9:14 am
Addict

So the heaters stilll work in both front and rear seats?
I thought aftermarket seats couldn't 're-use' the BMW heaters for some reason.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2012, 10:24 am
IBR# 366

The factory heaters work just fine in the rebuilt seats.

They carefully peel the heater element off the old padding and replace it on top of the new padding.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 15th, 2012, 6:27 pm

At first I was very pleased with my Mayer seat but after about 15,000 miles it feels rock hard and is not very comfortable anymore. I also was not happy with the fit when I first got it since in the low seat height it slid me into the gastank, I had to put it in the high seat location to be able to sit level. Over all it was a poor fit and now being rock hard after 15,000 miles it just is not for me anymore. I assume he would fix it (likely with some cost)but it means taking a day off work and riding down so I have not done it, looking into Airhawk or similar things for the long rides as the seat works fine for my daily ride to work.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 2012, 7:44 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyr
At first I was very pleased with my Mayer seat but after about 15,000 miles it feels rock hard and is not very comfortable anymore. I also was not happy with the fit when I first got it since in the low seat height it slid me into the gastank, I had to put it in the high seat location to be able to sit level. Over all it was a poor fit and now being rock hard after 15,000 miles it just is not for me anymore. I assume he would fix it (likely with some cost)but it means taking a day off work and riding down so I have not done it, looking into Airhawk or similar things for the long rides as the seat works fine for my daily ride to work.
You should have had it altered right away instead of suffering.

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 16th, 2012, 9:31 pm
Addict

thank god a set of bar risers worked for me..,good for 500 a day or so, i use to not even go 100 and the jewel's were not happy ,the risers @ about 150 installed put me upright enough to be able to bear the stock seat .Im at least good for another year then i'll prolly end up going with a g.s we'll see...

i've spent most my money on bike's boat's and broad's the rest i've wasted..
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 17th, 2012, 9:01 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyr
I have had good luck with airhawk cushions on bikes that provide an upright riding position but it didn't work on the K1200GT. I ended up going with a Russell Day-long saddle and never regretted it.

2013 Honda Goldwing F6B
1970 Norton Commando
820,000+ miles on 2 wheels in 39 years

Past experience: 2012 Victory Vision, 2011 Triumph Sprint GT, 2007 K1200GT 88,000 miles and rebuilt, 51 Vincent Special, 08 B-King, 07 Redneck Undresser, 06 K1200 S (final drive failure), 04 ST1300, 04 Hyabusa, 04 Aprilia Futura, 00 Softail, 98 Buell S3T, 98 Electra Glide, 97 Electra Glide, 94 Low Rider, 92 Fatboy, 91 FXRP, 90 Buell RS 1200, 83 Electra Glide, 83 XL Roadster, 74 XLCH, 74 Triumph TR5T plus 6 custom built Hard Tail Choppers!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 18th, 2012, 6:43 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

mikes, which bar-rsiers did you go with?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode