Feds investigating gas leaks. - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 2012, 10:49 am Thread Starter
Veteran

Feds investigating gas leaks.

Detroit News article.

Checking the NHTSA site NHSTA website reveals this. Under QUICK SEARCH, type PE12036 in the NHTSA Action Number box and click Search. The resulting page gives a summary. At the bottom of that page click on Document Search to open another window with documents related to the investigation.

Oddly, when I checked, no K bikes were shown at all, just the R bikes.

My K1200GT cracked early on doing the metal quick-disconnect thing to the tank-side (Not recommended!) and I did the epoxy & clamp fix since mine soaked the fiberglass mat (which came debonded from the bottom of the tank and stained the left side of the black engine a yellowish color from fuel spraying out there as well.). I see BeemerBoneyard sells a clamp to address those brittle cracking fittings now (Cost to replace is the entire pump unit at $500 or so). I suspect the gas/ethanol is washing out the plasticizers and making them very brittle and prone to cracking.

Mack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 21st, 2012, 5:19 pm
Addict

I noticed that as well (no mention of K bikes in the recall.) I have been noticing a fuel smell after stopping (nothing visible though, yet.) From what read the most common fuel leak problem with the K seems to be related to the quick-disconnects vs. the mounting boss cracking (unless the user has installed metal quick-disconnects, which seems to be a very easy way to induce the boss-cracking problem.) But then again AFAIK the fuel pump on the K is essentially the same part as on the R so I would think it should be subject to the same problem.

I'm wondering... how many K owners (who have not installed metal fittings) have had boss-cracking problems? Is it as common as on the R bikes?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 2012, 8:00 am
Enthusiast

Well I don't know how common it is, but mine cracked in 4 places and started leaking. As luck would have it I was several months and many miles outside of the BMW warranty period. I was going to use my extended warranty to cover the replacement cost, but BMW stepped in and replaced it under goodwill.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 2012, 1:51 pm
Addict

Well there's at least one data point. Oh well the repair clamp is sitting in the drawer should I need it.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Nov 24th, 2012, 3:50 pm
Enthusiast

Seth - mine started as an on and off fuel smell. I found the leak by pulling the tank back while shining a flashlight down between the tank and the air box.. It was a tiny mist of a leak.

If I were you, I'd renew the quick disconnect o rings and see if the fuel smell persists. If it does you'll need to save up for a fuel pump assembly. Fun, eh?

By the way, the bike is in for ball joints--upper and lower failed.

Still, I do love this bike. Must be a nut.....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode