Next Gen K1200 GT Seat Options - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 2012, 6:42 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Next Gen K1200 GT Seat Options

Well I hate to bring this subject up again, but I wondered if anyone had recommendations about an aftermarket seat for a 2008 K1200 GT? I have tried and sent back what Sargent had to offer. Any suggestions?
Antknee

2008 K1200 GT
1986 K75C
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 2012, 7:15 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by antknee321
Well I hate to bring this subject up again, but I wondered if anyone had recommendations about an aftermarket seat for a 2008 K1200 GT? I have tried and sent back what Sargent had to offer. Any suggestions?
Antknee
The stock seat is so terrible for a long day I also bought a Sargent and found it a little better but not much so I had it reworked and it still was lacking so I sold it on ebay. I then went all in on a Russell Day-Long and it was the most comfortable seat I ever had. The guy who bought my bike got a good deal. I also had them build a seat for my Suzuki Bking that I toured on and that seat was as brilliant! My Victory Vision stock seat is better than any stock seat I have ever had but I am still contemplating a Russell for it. They are not cheap and I only need it for 10-15 800+ mile days a year so we will see....

2013 Honda Goldwing F6B
1970 Norton Commando
820,000+ miles on 2 wheels in 39 years

Past experience: 2012 Victory Vision, 2011 Triumph Sprint GT, 2007 K1200GT 88,000 miles and rebuilt, 51 Vincent Special, 08 B-King, 07 Redneck Undresser, 06 K1200 S (final drive failure), 04 ST1300, 04 Hyabusa, 04 Aprilia Futura, 00 Softail, 98 Buell S3T, 98 Electra Glide, 97 Electra Glide, 94 Low Rider, 92 Fatboy, 91 FXRP, 90 Buell RS 1200, 83 Electra Glide, 83 XL Roadster, 74 XLCH, 74 Triumph TR5T plus 6 custom built Hard Tail Choppers!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 2012, 8:25 pm
IBR# 366

Ah yes, the recurring seat thread . . .

First, you have to decide whether you want a one-size-fits-all replacement seat (made on its own seat pan), or if you want a true custom seat (made on your existing seat pan to your measurements). The advantage of a replacement seat is that you can keep (or sell) your old seat, but if the new seat doesn't work for you then you're stuck with it. The disadvantage of a custom seat is that you lose your old seat (and lose riding time while it's being made), but it's made to fit you specifically, and if it doesn't work for you then you can send it back for a rework.

For replacement seats, you basically have three options:

Sargent (Jacksonville, FL) seats work fine for some folks, and not for others, as you found out. I've never used one myself.

Corbin (Hollister, CA) seats are rock-hard and take a long time to break in. Some folks do like them, but way too many folks complain about the comfort, the quality, and the customer support for me to ever give them any of my money.

Bagster (France) is based in Europe, although they do have a US distributor. I hear good things about them from European riders, but haven't tried them myself.

Then you have the custom seat manufacturers:

Russell Day-Long (Shasta Lake, CA) consistently gets great reviews for comfort, quality and customer service. Besides adding a bit of height (as expected with any custom seat designed more for comfort than looks), I don't think I've ever heard a single serious complaint about them. They also use an internal leaf-spring system (developed by the senior Mayer father) that works very well, especially for larger/heavier riders. And they have a removable backrest option that no one else offers. I have 34K on my current Russell.

Bill (Rocky) Mayer (Ojai, CA) makes a quality seat and generally folks are very happy with his work. He uses a pre-formed foam base, made in different densities to suit a rider's weight and riding style, and molds that to your measurements. I have ~175K miles on his seats across three Beemers.

Rick Mayer (Anderson, CA) also makes a great seat and his customers remain very loyal. He's a Registered Nurse, and his method uses different density foams in different areas of the seat to spread out the rider's weight. He does occasionally get some complaints about customer service (mostly a lack of communication), but he's basically a one-man shop. But everyone who gets one of his seats raves about it.

Cee Bailey's (Montebello, CA) (yes, the windshield folks) is also doing custom seats. I don't know anyone who's used them though.

Kontour (Tucson, AZ) uses many foam layers of varying density and a unique "airflow" mesh top covering. I've heard good things about his seat, but haven't tried one myself.

Mr Ed's Moto (Albany, OR) is a small provider with a good following.

Rich's (Kingston, WA) is another small provider. The few folks I know that have them do like them.

Any of these options should run around $500-$600, although custom fabrics/leathers and other options can obviously add to that cost.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 2012, 8:28 pm
Addict

meese your the man!!! they need to "sticky" your post!!!

i've spent most my money on bike's boat's and broad's the rest i've wasted..
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 2012, 8:36 pm
IBR# 366

Oh, and don't forget your riding gear, either. Jeans are cool for everyday wear, but just don't cut it for long rides. Personally, I like Aerostitch Darien Light Pants (waterproof, comfortable, and no seams to sit on) and LDComfort Undergarments (breathable, wicking, comfortable, and no seams to sit on). That's all I wear on any ride over 2 hours or 100 miles (well, that and something on top, as well ).

That covers me from 16F (with a heated jacket and sometimes pants) to 118F (with jacket vents opened and 2 gallons of water/tea on board).

I have run countless thousand-mile days that way in all weather, and quite a few 1,500-1,600-mile days in comfort. Can't ask for much more than that.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 2012, 10:25 pm
Veteran

A little time on your hands Ken? The seat thread wiki.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 28th, 2012, 11:48 pm
IBR# 366

When you start pushing multiple bikes past 100K miles, you tend to get a bit of seat time in.

Besides, it's mostly cut & paste from previous seat threads (wouldn't it be amazing if folks learned to search the site for common questions?).

I do give it a quick update & polish every time I post it, which is why I don't usually just link to older threads.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 2012, 12:04 am
Enthusiast

Cee Bailey's (Montebello, CA) (yes, the windshield folks) is also doing custom seats. I don't know anyone who's used them though.

One came on my bike, its wider and softer than stock but I'm looking for something different.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Message sent from my Radio Shack TRS-80 using a keyboard and electricity.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 2012, 2:00 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks All!

2008 K1200 GT
1986 K75C

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode