Cam Chain Guard Recall Now Here - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 2012, 2:33 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Cam Chain Guard Recall Now Here

Well it was painless and quick took my 08 GT 1200 in today to my dealer in Ventura for the installation of the Guard (plastic) and back out the door in 1 hour. My guess is that a lot of the dealers are are going to be pretty busy as the word gets out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 2012, 4:02 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martybmw
Well it was painless and quick took my 08 GT 1200 in today to my dealer in Ventura for the installation of the Guard (plastic) and back out the door in 1 hour. My guess is that a lot of the dealers are are going to be pretty busy as the word gets out.
They should recall the cam chains, gears and tensioners. They must have a lot of faith in that piece of plastic!

2013 Honda Goldwing F6B
1970 Norton Commando
820,000+ miles on 2 wheels in 39 years

Past experience: 2012 Victory Vision, 2011 Triumph Sprint GT, 2007 K1200GT 88,000 miles and rebuilt, 51 Vincent Special, 08 B-King, 07 Redneck Undresser, 06 K1200 S (final drive failure), 04 ST1300, 04 Hyabusa, 04 Aprilia Futura, 00 Softail, 98 Buell S3T, 98 Electra Glide, 97 Electra Glide, 94 Low Rider, 92 Fatboy, 91 FXRP, 90 Buell RS 1200, 83 Electra Glide, 83 XL Roadster, 74 XLCH, 74 Triumph TR5T plus 6 custom built Hard Tail Choppers!
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 2012, 4:17 pm
Veteran

So is there an official notice? Link please. If for no other reason than to say "neener neener I told you so you F'ing A'holes" I'd love to send it to a few people at BMWNA that made my life such a living hell back then. My chances of recouping any $$ are slim to none but it still might feel good to tell a few folks to blow and provide them proof and acknowledgement of a problem from their own company. (No...I'm not still bitter at all.)

And I seriously doubt it matters too much any more. Dealers won't be swamped with bikes. There just aren't enough left out there that aren't fixed. If it hasn't been done by now then the bike must never be ridden and sitting in some ones garage with 1000 miles on it not being paid any attention.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 2012, 5:03 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1951vbs
They should recall the cam chains, gears and tensioners. They must have a lot of faith in that piece of plastic!
at the very least call for it when serviced at 36-k

i've spent most my money on bike's boat's and broad's the rest i've wasted..
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 2012, 5:05 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_W
So is there an official notice? Link please. If for no other reason than to say "neener neener I told you so you F'ing A'holes" I'd love to send it to a few people at BMWNA that made my life such a living hell back then. My chances of recouping any $$ are slim to none but it still might feel good to tell a few folks to blow and provide them proof and acknowledgement of a problem from their own company. (No...I'm not still bitter at all.)

And I seriously doubt it matters too much any more. Dealers won't be swamped with bikes. There just aren't enough left out there that aren't fixed. If it hasn't been done by now then the bike must never be ridden and sitting in some ones garage with 1000 miles on it not being paid any attention.

WORD!
I guess being poor has its benefits ....Although I guess I could have purchased a Beemer new if I sweet-talked the wife enough...I'm glad I'm a used (BMW) bike buyer. It gives you poor guys a chance to fully uncover and enjoy all the failures of the new machine and go through the "goat rope" of dealing with the dealer and BMWNA. I much rather buy a bike that comes with a list of what is going to crap out...at least I know where I stand and what I'm in for

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Message sent from my Radio Shack TRS-80 using a keyboard and electricity.
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old Dec 11th, 2012, 8:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by moymurfs
WORD!
I guess being poor has its benefits ....Although I guess I could have purchased a Beemer new if I sweet-talked the wife enough...I'm glad I'm a used (BMW) bike buyer. It gives you poor guys a chance to fully uncover and enjoy all the failures of the new machine and go through the "goat rope" of dealing with the dealer and BMWNA. I much rather buy a bike that comes with a list of what is going to crap out...at least I know where I stand and what I'm in for
As an original Beta tester I hear ya. However I bought into the "durability" and superior engineering of BMW and was so let down I will not purchase one of their products new (or used) for a long, long time. If they would have stepped up and admitted or at least suggested that the cam chain components needed an upgrade I would cut them some slack. Fortunately there are a lot of brands with a much better track record.

2013 Honda Goldwing F6B
1970 Norton Commando

Past experience: 2012 Victory Vision, 2011 Triumph Sprint GT, 2007 K1200GT 88,000 miles and rebuilt, 51 Vincent Special, 08 B-King, 07 Redneck Undresser, 06 K1200 S (final drive failure), 04 ST1300, 04 Hyabusa, 04 Aprilia Futura, 00 Softail, 98 Buell S3T, 98 Electra Glide, 97 Electra Glide, 94 Low Rider, 92 Fatboy, 91 FXRP, 90 Buell RS 1200, 83 Electra Glide, 83 XL Roadster, 74 XLCH, 74 Triumph TR5T plus 6 custom built Hard Tail Choppers!

Last edited by 1951vbs; Dec 12th, 2012 at 1:21 pm. Reason: grammer
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old Dec 12th, 2012, 5:59 pm
Addict

Quote:

Rob Check here:
http://www.bmwmoa.org/forum/showthread.php?t=64396
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 2012, 11:07 am
Veteran

Guess all of us who paid for these things, their blown-up bikes, and new sprockets and chains are subsidizing this recall. Fantastic recall methodology!

I did mine myself so I guess I'm out around $100 for the gasket (didn't use), plastic piece, and overpriced screws. DIY'ers don't get refunds so I pass my payments off to those who get it.

I still think the mechanical one is the better setup though over the plastic thing which still deals with the sloppy chain mess.

Mack
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old Dec 13th, 2012, 11:46 am
Veteran

So it's not officially a "Recall". Instead they call it a "Technical Campaign". Probably because Recall implies a measure of wrong doing and responsibility.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old Dec 14th, 2012, 6:28 pm

Quote:
So it's not officially a "Recall". Instead they call it a "Technical Campaign". Probably because Recall implies a measure of wrong doing and responsibility.
Only 6 years after they knew there was a problem. Best damn bike ever!

2013 Honda Goldwing F6B
1970 Norton Commando

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode