New Forum Member - Clutch and other related questions - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 2013, 7:24 am Thread Starter
Rookie

New Forum Member - Clutch and other related questions

Hi All!

I figured it was time to stop being a lurker and put a post up on the forum. I wanted to get some feedback, specifically around clutches and thought a post would be the best way to do it.

About me: I'm an IT guy with plenty of mechanical aptitude. I built custom cars in my spare time and grew up around cars and motorcycles. I have fabrication abilities since my father was a machinist when I was growing up and have always had a love for BMW bikes. Currently, I have a Triumph, Aprilia, and two BMW's in the stable on the motorcycle side.

Anyway, here's my story. I ran across a 2007 K1200GT with 23k for a deal I could not pass up. It needed work, but I decided to take the chance and jump on it. I've owned close to 10 BMW bikes in my lifetime and this one has been a challenge to say the least! I have done more research and spent more time getting this girl up to snuff more than any other machine, but I know in the end, I'll love it. I can't get over how light this thing is compared to some of the other Sport tourers I've owned!

Anyway, Here's a list of what i've done to date:

Replaced CCT with BMW hydraulic
Jump Guard - (I can't believe that the chain is that loose and the bottom guard just lays there!)
Tupperware replacement due to 0mph tip over
Right Inner Pannier mechanism replaced -(wow, what a complicated bag)
handlebars at headstock tightened - (probably towed the biked using bar tie downs)
Left heated grip inop - replaced
Battery replaced to odyssey - just because the old one was weak and BMW's and weak batteries don't go together
I have yet to replace the front wheel, but I have one ready to go - Front wheel is out of round (I couldn't believe this one) and rotors are warped -(going to have Tom in Michigan take a couple passes on my existing rotors just to be sure as well)

Anyway - onto the question:

I've put a whopping 50 miles on the bike yesterday after a month of fiddling and getting the bike up to snuff and coming home, I'm doing 65 in 6th gear and hammer it. Clutch is slipping. WTF - I couldn't believe it. Anyway, I get home (barely) and by the time I'm here the clutch is toast. I can push the bike in gear back and forth. WTF, 23k miles, clutch packs toast. I guess that's why when I got the bike the oil was black as hell. I come along, change it, remove any friction material left in the oil and boom. Anyway, I changed the oil again- there was a little bit of material on the plug and started it again. Even worse, so I know the packs are gone. (and no it's not the slave or master)

So my question is that I know a lot of you are replacing clutches in and out of warranty due to the chatter or 'squalk' on engagement, but how many of you have replaced the clutch due to wear or slipping? I really couldn't narrow that down after all my searching on the forums.

Also - It makes me wonder; if these clutches are wearing this fast and the CCT is hydraulic - What's keeping all the clutch material from going into the CCT (in theory) from damaging my new CCT again? (First one toast and I suspect due to friction material in oil)

Thanks guys - I think i'm going to enjoy this bike however, I'm not going to get rid of my 02 KRS with GT parts on it just yet ;-)

Last edited by PPlummer; Jan 8th, 2013 at 7:35 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 2013, 9:26 am
JCW
contributor

clutch replacement after 23K miles isn't unheard of depending on the way the previous owner rode. some people slip the clutch routinely. I agree that I have not heard of a lot of cases of early clutch wear on these bikes. Crazyczech had early clutch and clutch basket issues as I recall.

as far the clutch wear affecting the cct, i don't think i've ever heard of it. I would think it affects the bearing and small oil passages before something as mechanically simple as the hydraulic reservoir. But I'm not sure. Isn't it just soluble fibers that wear off the clutch?

Keep in mind that early k bikes 2005-2007 maybe had issues with clutch baskets wearing. This led to some snatchy clutch engagement. I have two clutches here that show early signs of the basket wear. I think they quietly fixed the problem over the years. there are several different part numbers for clutches

'06 K1200R- in pieces
'73 Honda CB500F- slow but fun.
'77 Yamaha XS 750 triple- kinda

Last edited by JCW; Jan 8th, 2013 at 10:14 am.
post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 2013, 10:20 am
Addict

'06GT here with 45k miles...original clutch.
Sometime squeel when start-up roll especially two-up.

Its the worst and best bike BMW ever made in my opinion. Designed right...engineered poorly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 2013, 3:38 pm
Telepathetic

I have an '06 with 77K on my original clutch. Makes a bit of noise in 1st when starting out but I don't dwell on it.

Darrel
'06 GT - Blue
85K on the clock
_'07 GS - Yeller
post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 2013, 3:59 pm

Still had the original clutch in mine when I sold it @ 89,000 miles. The dealer replaced the basket at 88,000 to see if it was setting off the knock sensor. (Didn't work) But the clutch plates still looked great. It just depends on how you ride.

2013 Honda Goldwing F6B
1970 Norton Commando
820,000+ miles on 2 wheels in 39 years

Past experience: 2012 Victory Vision, 2011 Triumph Sprint GT, 2007 K1200GT 88,000 miles and rebuilt, 51 Vincent Special, 08 B-King, 07 Redneck Undresser, 06 K1200 S (final drive failure), 04 ST1300, 04 Hyabusa, 04 Aprilia Futura, 00 Softail, 98 Buell S3T, 98 Electra Glide, 97 Electra Glide, 94 Low Rider, 92 Fatboy, 91 FXRP, 90 Buell RS 1200, 83 Electra Glide, 83 XL Roadster, 74 XLCH, 74 Triumph TR5T plus 6 custom built Hard Tail Choppers!
post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old Jan 8th, 2013, 8:08 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Well I removed the clutch today. Not an easy process but not that bad either. The biggest issue was getting the basket out due to the offset gears. My oil pump chain is loose and need to adjust that as well but it was adjusted at 18k and it seems that there is little adjust left on the rail so for 11 bucks I just ordered a new one. My basket is in near perfect condition with little / no signs of wear or ridges, so I will reuse the basket. My clutch plates were certainly worn. The plates closer towards the engine were worn more than the ones towards the outside. The steelies looked fine too. No purple or discoloration. So my conclusion is plain and simple wear. Bizarre but not uncommon.

I took a chance and ordered the Barnett clutch kit. I spoke to the tech there and he said they put a carbon fiber package on the friction plates versus the organic material that the oem uses and it should last longer. I see on ebay etc that there are a bunch sold (4 remaining,10 ordered) on various vendors for example but I don't see any feedback on these forums from people who have used them.

It seems that clutch wear at 25k not uncommon. We share the same clutch as the k12s from 06-up and the r's if you look at the fiche, and they are burning them up I suspect it has to do with abuse.
post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 2013, 10:43 am
JCW
contributor

The barnet plates are really the only option other than purchasing the entire "lamellar" package from bmw which includes the brand new inner hub for something like $800.

Please post up your review of the new clutch plates. I'm interested as I have not heard much about them in this application.

Preloading the clutch gear to reinstall is a little bit of a pain if you don't use the "special" locking pin and crankshaft locking pin.

'06 K1200R- in pieces
'73 Honda CB500F- slow but fun.
'77 Yamaha XS 750 triple- kinda
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 2013, 3:05 pm
Noob

Clutch experiences

Sounds like you are doing better than I did - I got an 08 K12GT in Kentucky in October - only 5020 miles - drove it home to CA and was concerned about clutch noise and roughness of shifts. By 7800 miles could not get into neutral if the bike was not moving. My whole clutch, breaks and hub were toast and the whole system was replaced by the redesigned K1300 redesigned unit, which I have heard, and hope, is much better. I have been riding 42 years and have never worn out a clutch and can only think that the first owner burned it up in 5K miles. Wow! How do you do that?? The bike runs like a champ with the new clutch. Love it. Good luck with it. I think you are involuntarily on the BMW weight reduction program, which starts with losses in the area of your wallet.
post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 2013, 4:48 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCW
The barnet plates are really the only option other than purchasing the entire "lamellar" package from bmw which includes the brand new inner hub for something like $800.

Please post up your review of the new clutch plates. I'm interested as I have not heard much about them in this application.

Preloading the clutch gear to reinstall is a little bit of a pain if you don't use the "special" locking pin and crankshaft locking pin.
Sure, I can post up some pics. Clutch pack will be here early next week. Sicne I really can't find anybody who's used one, I'm going to measure out the disks and steels first before I do anything to ensure I'm happy with the tolerances. In the meatime, I changed the front wheel last night and sent out the rotors. Bad repair on front rim. I'm not really interested on riding on a poorly repaired rim on a bike that can hit 160 thanks.

If anybody has a lightly or new friction disk that they could measure for me and send me the thickness for comparison, that would be great just to double check.

I spoke to my buddy who's a BMW tech about the gear - I'll try a screwdriver gently and I think I have a punch that's about the size of that hole. Once I get the new rail installed for the oil pump, I'll put the basket back in. Guess I should have located the hole and put it in first. Oh well, not the end of the world.
post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old Jan 9th, 2013, 4:52 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicortiz
Sounds like you are doing better than I did - I got an 08 K12GT in Kentucky in October - only 5020 miles - drove it home to CA and was concerned about clutch noise and roughness of shifts. By 7800 miles could not get into neutral if the bike was not moving. My whole clutch, breaks and hub were toast and the whole system was replaced by the redesigned K1300 redesigned unit, which I have heard, and hope, is much better. I have been riding 42 years and have never worn out a clutch and can only think that the first owner burned it up in 5K miles. Wow! How do you do that?? The bike runs like a champ with the new clutch. Love it. Good luck with it. I think you are involuntarily on the BMW weight reduction program, which starts with losses in the area of your wallet.

Well you and I are in the same boat. 25 years of riding and I've never done a clutch either. Ever, and since I've been riding street bikes, I average 10-20k miles per year. Heck, I've never even done a dry clutch on any of my previous BMW's!!! and I've owned bikes with upwards of 70k on the original clutch! To think that this is a wet clutch and it's toast certainly makes me think it's either abuse or inconsistent build quality of the assemblies.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode