Tires - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2013, 3:24 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Tires/Clutch

Hello everyone. I am new to K forum although I have been riding K bikes for about 10 yrs. I trusted my dealer to give me the truth regarding my bikes so never did research on my own - more familiar with wood than machines. But alas, he has moved on leaving me with a new group to deal with, so I start to educate myself.

2 Issues - the clutch - My 07 K12GT is in for chain warranty fix (53,000 km) and I have asked them to once again answer my perennial question regarding the clutch squeal, slip and clunks.Seems like it needs to be replaced (my expense) and forum members recommend the K1300 parts instead. Is that still the general view?

Tires. I have been running Metzelers on all my bikes but they don't last long, especially 2 up with load (Wife loves to ride and shop). I am debating between Michelin PR3 and Dunlop RoadSmart 2. Any LD/IB riders with something to suggest?

Last edited by Bullpen; Jan 15th, 2013 at 3:36 pm. Reason: Title change
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2013, 5:13 pm
Rookie

Tires For 2 Up

I have the K1300GT and ride with my wife. We have covered some 26 000 miles over the last year and a half. I switched to PR3 and never regretted the choice. Great in the rain, good mileage 8 000 plus miles and all around superb handling over the metzlers. Be sure to have a mix of riding. If you do too much straight riding a ridge will occur. Just mix in the curves to your trips.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 15th, 2013, 8:00 pm
Rookie

I have a 1300GT with a bit over 18 k miles . Third set of tires. Original Metz's, PR2' and now the PR3's. I never ride hard enough to know the difference between tires. So far they have all stuck to the road. What I do notice and like is how a new tire rolls edge to edge so easy. That is the best part of the new tires. I managed to get a bit over 8 k on each of the first two sets. I usually change the tires before hitting the wear bars but rode the PR2's down to the bars and managed to wear out the edges as well as center. Got my use out of that set.

McWideglide
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 2013, 11:14 am
Addict

We all have our 'druthers' concerning tires but I suggest checking out Meese and posts of his concerning his experience with tires.

Also be aware that there is a rear tire designation now (B) that is designed as a two-up tire
(Michelin Road Pilot 3 Rear 180/55ZR-17 B).
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 2013, 11:35 am
IBR# 366

Did somebody say tires? With 175K on various GTs, I've been through a few tires . . .

This is my experience with GT tires, with the latest update here.

My short answer is that the Z6's felt good but didn't last, the BT021's slipped a bit in the wet, the PR2's lasted but wore badly, and the Roadsmarts didn't last and wore badly.

The newer PR3's give excellent wet and dry traction, with good life and decent wear patterns, and the Storms give the best balance of wet & dry traction, handling for the life of the tire, and decent mileage. The Storms and PR3's really complement the sport-touring aspect of the GT.

Most of these tires have been "updated" since my original comparison, but based on many other rider's reports, the balance between the various brands remains pretty consistent.

In the end, you have to go with what you're happy with on your bike. And sometimes, that means simply trying out a bunch of different tires on your bike under your preferred riding conditions to see what works best for you . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 2013, 1:37 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese
In the end, you have to go with what you're happy with on your bike. And sometimes, that means simply trying out a bunch of different tires on your bike under your preferred riding conditions to see what works best for you . . .

And that can sometimes mean just gettng the best deal.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 2013, 10:27 am
Rookie

Thumbs up tires

while I may never match brother Meese's mileage, I do a fair amount of riding (12-14,000/year) and mostly 2or 4 lane riding -long distance. have gone through the Metzler's and others and now have Avons-- really nice tire - I only have about 3000 miles on them so far but they are great up here in the PNW rainy roads, and excellent cruising tires down the road. Might give them a look.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 2013, 11:04 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlander123
while I may never match brother Meese's mileage, I do a fair amount of riding (12-14,000/year) and mostly 2or 4 lane riding -long distance. have gone through the Metzler's and others and now have Avons-- really nice tire - I only have about 3000 miles on them so far but they are great up here in the PNW rainy roads, and excellent cruising tires down the road. Might give them a look.
After the OE tires (which didn't last real long) I went with 2 sets of Avon's which worked very well, and then I tried a set of Metzlers (which were so bad in the rain I changed them early) and then a few sets EACH of Michelin PR2's and 3's. Even though I have always liked Avon's the PR3's are the best I found for the GT IMO.

2013 Honda Goldwing F6B
1970 Norton Commando
820,000+ miles on 2 wheels in 39 years

Past experience: 2012 Victory Vision, 2011 Triumph Sprint GT, 2007 K1200GT 88,000 miles and rebuilt, 51 Vincent Special, 08 B-King, 07 Redneck Undresser, 06 K1200 S (final drive failure), 04 ST1300, 04 Hyabusa, 04 Aprilia Futura, 00 Softail, 98 Buell S3T, 98 Electra Glide, 97 Electra Glide, 94 Low Rider, 92 Fatboy, 91 FXRP, 90 Buell RS 1200, 83 Electra Glide, 83 XL Roadster, 74 XLCH, 74 Triumph TR5T plus 6 custom built Hard Tail Choppers!
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 2013, 8:09 pm
Rookie

Another 'thumbs up' for the PR3s, best sport-touring tire I've ever used. Good traction wet and dry, excellent feel on side-to-side transitions at fast and slow speeds, and getting 6K+ miles out of them as well.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Jan 21st, 2013, 9:28 pm
Rookie

+1 for PR3's but I'm also partial to roadsmarts. I typically get 6k on rear and 9-12k on a front on all my sport tourers. I run about 38 in the rear and 36 up front but do vary pressures to keep them wearing even at times. Bridgestone 21 and 023 are nice too. If you mount your own tires and do it by hand, the PR3 is the easiest to mount.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode