taking her in - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 2013, 7:14 pm Thread Starter
Addict

taking her in

well since she's (my k1200gt07)has been running smooth and keeping me warm in the early morning's and after my dealer highly reccomends it I'm changing the timing chain and sprocket aswell as the new upgraded jump gaurd on friday ,the bike has 37-k and the tech said during his 36k service on the bike noticed some slack and said it was highly reccomended to change so i am doing so ,I'm keeping this baby for awhile and this should insure me some more years of great k-bike enjoyment and yes i do think its the best f'n motorcycle around so thought i'de share ,she'll be tighter than a bulls ass in fly season come friday!!!! enjoy...

i've spent most my money on bike's boat's and broad's the rest i've wasted..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 16th, 2013, 11:08 pm
Veteran

Geez between "taking her in" and " tighter than a bulls ass in fly season" I almost thought I had clicked on the wrong forum!

You'll be fine. Now you don't have to worry about it. (as much).

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 2013, 5:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes-ss
well since she's (my k1200gt07)has been running smooth and keeping me warm in the early morning's and after my dealer highly reccomends it I'm changing the timing chain and sprocket aswell as the new upgraded jump gaurd on friday ,the bike has 37-k and the tech said during his 36k service on the bike noticed some slack and said it was highly reccomended to change so i am doing so ,I'm keeping this baby for awhile and this should insure me some more years of great k-bike enjoyment and yes i do think its the best f'n motorcycle around so thought i'de share ,she'll be tighter than a bulls ass in fly season come friday!!!! enjoy...
36,000 is about right. How much is that service going to run? Do you have to do it again at 72,000? Seems like a $20,000+ best f'n motorcycle would last a little longer before a major service. Make sure to change your final drive fluid while your at it.

2013 Honda Goldwing F6B
1970 Norton Commando
820,000+ miles on 2 wheels in 39 years

Past experience: 2012 Victory Vision, 2011 Triumph Sprint GT, 2007 K1200GT 88,000 miles and rebuilt, 51 Vincent Special, 08 B-King, 07 Redneck Undresser, 06 K1200 S (final drive failure), 04 ST1300, 04 Hyabusa, 04 Aprilia Futura, 00 Softail, 98 Buell S3T, 98 Electra Glide, 97 Electra Glide, 94 Low Rider, 92 Fatboy, 91 FXRP, 90 Buell RS 1200, 83 Electra Glide, 83 XL Roadster, 74 XLCH, 74 Triumph TR5T plus 6 custom built Hard Tail Choppers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 2013, 7:28 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1951vbs
36,000 is about right. How much is that service going to run? Do you have to do it again at 72,000? Seems like a $20,000+ best f'n motorcycle would last a little longer before a major service. Make sure to change your final drive fluid while your at it.
600 bucks and their are alot of expensive highly engineered machine's aswell as cheap ass machine's require timing chain replacement ya know plus it will take a couple of years for me to do another 36 k so who know's by then !!!i do drive line every 10-k

post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 2013, 10:06 am

Quote:
600 bucks and their are alot of expensive highly engineered machine's aswell as cheap ass machine's require timing chain replacement ya know plus it will take a couple of years for me to do another 36 k so who know's by then !!!i do drive line every 10-k
$600 is cheap insurance. Good idea on the the final drive fluid change as well. I can't think of any other bikes (or cars) that need cam chain and gears at 36,000 (not even Ducati and certainly not the big Jap 4) but I could be wrong. Maybe that is why BMW has a 36,000 warranty, my dealer said BMWNA could care less as long as it makes it out of the warranty period! I guess if you buy a new BMW you are only supposed to put 5-10,000 on it a year that way it will last a few years. I guess it was my fault that I bought the wrong bike if I was actually planning on riding it.

2013 Honda Goldwing F6B
1970 Norton Commando

Past experience: 2012 Victory Vision, 2011 Triumph Sprint GT, 2007 K1200GT 88,000 miles and rebuilt, 51 Vincent Special, 08 B-King, 07 Redneck Undresser, 06 K1200 S (final drive failure), 04 ST1300, 04 Hyabusa, 04 Aprilia Futura, 00 Softail, 98 Buell S3T, 98 Electra Glide, 97 Electra Glide, 94 Low Rider, 92 Fatboy, 91 FXRP, 90 Buell RS 1200, 83 Electra Glide, 83 XL Roadster, 74 XLCH, 74 Triumph TR5T plus 6 custom built Hard Tail Choppers!
post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 2013, 5:11 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1951vbs
$600 is cheap insurance. Good idea on the the final drive fluid change as well. I can't think of any other bikes (or cars) that need cam chain and gears at 36,000 (not even Ducati and certainly not the big Jap 4) but I could be wrong. Maybe that is why BMW has a 36,000 warranty, my dealer said BMWNA could care less as long as it makes it out of the warranty period! I guess if you buy a new BMW you are only supposed to put 5-10,000 on it a year that way it will last a few years. I guess it was my fault that I bought the wrong bike if I was actually planning on riding it.
again i'm alway's bummed for your loss but i ride with 4 other gt owners with 2 of which are in the 70-80-k range and the guy's ride the shit out of them with no complaint's aswell as my self!! may have just gotta lemon ,i will tell you that they are probably the most expensive to own for sure i mean with rear tire's and brake pads and fliud change's i could'nt afford this bike if i had to use it daily thats for sure..

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 18th, 2013, 9:25 pm

Quote:
again i'm alway's bummed for your loss but i ride with 4 other gt owners with 2 of which are in the 70-80-k range and the guy's ride the shit out of them with no complaint's aswell as my self!! may have just gotta lemon ,i will tell you that they are probably the most expensive to own for sure i mean with rear tire's and brake pads and fliud change's i could'nt afford this bike if i had to use it daily thats for sure..
I don't own a 4 wheel vehicle so my bike is my car and the BMW legacy (hype?) was that you could get 200,000 miles on them if you kept up on maintenance. When I got my GT, (because my K12S was out of warranty at 48,000 miles and 10 months and needed a final drive) I was putting on 60,000 miles a year. I don't think I had a lemon. The main problem was stalling at will from 36,000 miles to about 80,000 miles. Quite aggravating trying to get that rectified but I did put 88,000 on it before the cam chain jumped and bent the valves and wrecked the head. My real issue (other than the 51 weeks it took to get it fixed) was that BMW knew they had a cam chain problem and did not disclose it! Oh I wish I would have been told to replace it at 36,000 miles (even though no other internal combustion engine requires it). Irresponsible and piss poor engineering on their part and IMO no way it is even close to the best F'N motorcycle ever. I have put over 100,000 miles on quite a few bikes and the ONLY ones that let me down were Beemers!

2013 Honda Goldwing F6B
1970 Norton Commando

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 2013, 7:12 am Thread Starter
Addict

well i hardly see any jap bike's with over 40-k and if it doe's it's done and needs a new motor and not just a chain they are worn out!! and harley's cant make it to 2o -k without a series of issue's and if you have one that's not than you are rare so the only bike's i see with many mile's traveling world wide they are on beemers ,and it still cracks me up that you put 88=k which is alot of mile's especially in a short time .like i have replied on many of your threads anything with that many mile's is a piece of shit, bike or car shits gonna break its a machine !!and like i said jap bike's are worthless at 40=k harley's are pcs of shit and triumph in my opinion have not proved themselve's yet which leave's me rite back to bmw the best f' motorcycle out there!!

Last edited by mikes-ss; Jan 19th, 2013 at 8:40 am.
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 2013, 8:51 am Thread Starter
Addict

the other thing is that i did look at an "fjr" and my gt at the same time!! the differance in the handeling, option's overall integrity of the bike including function and re-sale value not too mention the overall styling was like night and day for me ,both bike's had about the same milage and were the same year but the gt was a couple grand more and was worth every penny and the only thing the 'fjr" did equally to the gt was keep up so ya yamaha make's a good motor but after 5 years the bike's are worn and tired compared to my gt!! were everyone still think's my 5 yr old bike is brand new, and the re-sale value at least here in so-cal seem's way better than the asian bike's so these are my reason's not to mention and as i have said before i like the brand and what they stand for ..

post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old Jan 19th, 2013, 9:50 am

Quote:
the other thing is that i did look at an "fjr" and my gt at the same time!! the differance in the handeling, option's overall integrity of the bike including function and re-sale value not too mention the overall styling was like night and day for me ,both bike's had about the same milage and were the same year but the gt was a couple grand more and was worth every penny and the only thing the 'fjr" did equally to the gt was keep up so ya yamaha make's a good motor but after 5 years the bike's are worn and tired compared to my gt!! were everyone still think's my 5 yr old bike is brand new, and the re-sale value at least here in so-cal seem's way better than the asian bike's so these are my reason's not to mention and as i have said before i like the brand and what they stand for ..
You made a good decision to buy used. If I calculate what my GT cost per mile it doesn't look good.
I am glad you love your bike but think your brand loyalty is blind. I do have to tell you that you are way off on your claims about other brands reliability. I have had 2 Electra-Glides's that had over 100,000 trouble free miles and one that had 80,000 plus a FXRP with 65,000 that were going strong when I sold/traded them. I also had 120,000 on my ST1300 when I traded it on my K12S and it was trouble free as well. We only had 30,000 on the wife's Hyabusa when traded but they have a reputation of being flogged, drag raced and still being reuilt over and over and it doesn't take 51 weeks. I also have many friends with HD's, Goldwings, even BMW's and one Victory that are well over 100,000. There is a reason many IBA riders have switched to other brands or bring spare final drives with them. Also you might search some of the issues BMW was/is having with the 650's and 800's. I just can't figure out why you think bikes are disposable with just 88,000 miles. See you latter, time to go ride!

2013 Honda Goldwing F6B
1970 Norton Commando

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode