New Shocks... - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 2013, 2:22 pm Thread Starter

Unhappy New Shocks...

Hey all...

Just trying to get a feel for new shocks. I know very little about them and not sure which way to go. My bike is a '10 K1300GT with 72K miles on it. I've put all the miles on it so I know how it was ridden (if that part matters). Dealer just told me that it's time to start thinking about replacing BOTH!! There's a chunk of change for ya

Soooo - what kind of shocks do I go with? Ohlins? Wilbers? Works?

Any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated.

TIA
Tina

2010 K1300GT My beloved ROCKET!!
IBA #37898
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 2013, 3:07 pm
Enthusiast

I have always been an Ohlins fan myself. But you are right...it will be a chunk of change...especially if they are ESA. Although, once you take the plunge they can be rebuilt for a fraction of the cost.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Message sent from my Radio Shack TRS-80 using a keyboard and electricity.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 2013, 3:31 pm
Enthusiast

Whether this applies to the US or not I dont know.

In the UK if you want a Wilbers you give the dealer your weight, riding style, two up or not, luggage etc etc, then the shock is built at the factory in Germany to those specs.

With Ohlins you get a shock, and then its up to the supplying dealer to tune it/ change the spring etc.

But what you need to watch is the Wilbers come in various flavours, the cheaper ones with combined rebound/compression damping and remote preload is another option. With all the bells and whistles the Wilbers is not far off an Ohlins price wise, but purely for the custom build I'd probably lean towards Wilbers.

You have other options over there.

One thing is for sure, whatever you go with as long as its set up right, you'll wonder how BM got away with fitting the bed springs that the bike came with.

Tim
------------------

2011 K1300GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 2013, 3:46 pm
Noob

Plus side of the Wilbers there come with a 5 year warranty,something Ohlins don't offer,take a guess which I have.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 2013, 3:54 pm
IBR# 366

Öhlins always gets great reviews.

But if you want to retain the ESA feature, you either pony up for stock BMW shocks or you go with Wilbers or Works .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 2013, 4:43 pm
Enthusiast

Wilbers do ESA replacements for GS's so I guess they'll do them for a K as well.

But 72,000 out a set of shocks!!!! WOW.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 2013, 7:33 pm

I know they wear out but I never noticed any degradation of handling in the 89,000 miles I put on my K12GT. Are you sure they need to be replaced?

2013 Honda Goldwing F6B
1970 Norton Commando
820,000+ miles on 2 wheels in 39 years

Past experience: 2012 Victory Vision, 2011 Triumph Sprint GT, 2007 K1200GT 88,000 miles and rebuilt, 51 Vincent Special, 08 B-King, 07 Redneck Undresser, 06 K1200 S (final drive failure), 04 ST1300, 04 Hyabusa, 04 Aprilia Futura, 00 Softail, 98 Buell S3T, 98 Electra Glide, 97 Electra Glide, 94 Low Rider, 92 Fatboy, 91 FXRP, 90 Buell RS 1200, 83 Electra Glide, 83 XL Roadster, 74 XLCH, 74 Triumph TR5T plus 6 custom built Hard Tail Choppers!
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 2013, 9:08 pm
Rookie

Thumbs up replacing esa shocks

Hello bmw girl,
I have a 2007 k1200gt and replaced the esa shocks with non esa ohlins. If they are set up properly for your weight and riding style you won't need the ajustment.(my opinion only) i purchased my shocks from Kyle racing in California.The bike feels planted in the corners and the shocks glide over the road with just the right amount of feedback.
You will pay big bucks for any kind of esa but unless you really feel you need esa you can save a lot of cash and get a great ride. i could never get my esa shocks to feel right. I have a set of esa shocks from my 2007 k1200 gt with only 24000miles on them if anyone is interested but i am very pleased with the ohlins shocks.
The key is to set them up properly by the dealer or someone in the know..sag..weight..single..two up ect. Once set..my ride is now perfect with non esa and i would not spend the money on esa. But you need to do what is right for you..i am happy with my ohlins..
Hope this helps ..just another option you might want to explore..Up here in the great white north we still have to wait til mid march to ride...Good luck in your quest and keep riding!
Vic
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 2013, 10:02 pm Thread Starter

I'm going to play the "GIRL" card just this once!!! I have a hard time understanding how to adjust the shocks. I had a R1200ST that I put Ohlins on and turning the clicks so many times to the left or right was just annoying. I use my ESA's VERY OFTEN!!! I either load the bike down for trips or running around short weekend trips - I'm always adjusting them.

Yeah, at 72K you would think I would notice and I guess I had but it's so gradual that I wasn't sure what it was. The dealer looked at them and said it was time - they are warn and starting to leak. I'll probably replace them in March, just need to figure out which ones. I'll make some calls this week and see what I can come up with.

I appreciate the comments and suggestions - Now I have an idea of where to start with my questions.

Thanks again!!
Tina

2010 K1300GT My beloved ROCKET!!
IBA #37898
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 2013, 2:13 pm
Noob

I'd call Ted Porter at the bemer shop in California. He'll answer your questions. I just bought two sets of shocks from him and very happy.

Ted Porter, BeemerShop, 831-438-1100

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode