Canbus charger error light - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 2013, 12:03 pm Thread Starter
Addict-oholic

Canbus charger error light

My foo foo BMW Canbus charger is giving me a redlight error . This is the red light on the power supply side with the green light that indicates power.
None of the lights on the other side even glow a bit. No red or ywllow or green lights occur at all.
I follow the directions of turning the bike on, plugging in both sides of the charger and then shutting the bike dow as in the past.Ii also have done the 3 times off/on procedure.
Nope, nothing.
Is this an error saying that the charger is No good.?
Is it time to buy a new charger? This one is 5 years old. All my other battery tenders seem to be working normally on my other batteries.

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 2013, 1:32 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrykay
My foo foo BMW Canbus charger is giving me a redlight error . This is the red light on the power supply side with the green light that indicates power.
None of the lights on the other side even glow a bit. No red or ywllow or green lights occur at all.
I follow the directions of turning the bike on, plugging in both sides of the charger and then shutting the bike dow as in the past.Ii also have done the 3 times off/on procedure.
Nope, nothing.
Is this an error saying that the charger is No good.?
Is it time to buy a new charger? This one is 5 years old. All my other battery tenders seem to be working normally on my other batteries.

It sounds like it's shot. If it's not giving you ANY reading on the battery (charging/charged/faulty)..
Save yourself the headaches and get a Battery Tender for that bike also. Wire a socket directly to the battery and be done with it...No cycling of the ignition, no waiting, You can choose if you want to use a BMW "powerlet" socket in one of the spare knockouts (which is what I did) or use the supplied SAE harness coming out from atop the gas tank.. Both would be wired directly to the battery bypassing the CanBus system.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Message sent from my Radio Shack TRS-80 using a keyboard and electricity.

Last edited by moymurfs; Feb 26th, 2013 at 1:38 pm.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 2013, 4:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by moymurfs
It sounds like it's shot. If it's not giving you ANY reading on the battery (charging/charged/faulty)..
Save yourself the headaches and get a Battery Tender for that bike also. Wire a socket directly to the battery and be done with it...No cycling of the ignition, no waiting, You can choose if you want to use a BMW "powerlet" socket in one of the spare knockouts (which is what I did) or use the supplied SAE harness coming out from atop the gas tank.. Both would be wired directly to the battery bypassing the CanBus system.
I just went through the same thing with my "foo foo" BMW CANBUS charger (6 years old) with getting either false readings or none at all. I installed a quick connect harness directly to the battery and routed it at the top of the tank and triple clamp then hook it up to a Battery Tender. Problem solved.

Regards,
Randy
'02 RT nacht black
'05 Ducati ST3 black
'06 K12S bumble bee
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 2013, 10:43 pm
Noob

I bought the Optimate 4 with Canbus adaptor from my local dealer last October (he matched Amazon's price too) - it's been great so far - cycles between trickle charge and voltage check after the initial read and charge. Nice unit, no turning the ignition on and off, and half the price of the BMW unit. Well recommended!

Cheers, KB

2010 K1300GT - Apple Red
1982 Suzuki GS450 (completed project & garage balancer - sold under duress from 'er indoors to a youth who does not know what he's got...)
1993 Yamaha TDM850 (sold)
2 x 1977 Suzuki GT185's (1 crashed, 1 sold)
1975 Yamaha FS1E (stolen and returned in a cardboard box)
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Mar 8th, 2013, 11:24 am

The red warning light comes on when the charger is not able to charge your bike.

This may be a faulty charger, or it may be something with your bike that makes the bikes onboard electronics shut down the power outlet.

To make sure the charger is ok, try to hook it up to a disconnected battery and see if it works.

The outlet will shut off if you have connected something to the 'Garmin' plug on your bike.
In order for the BMW charger to work you have to disconnect whatever is hooked up to this plug.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode