Transmission issue - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 2013, 11:26 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Unhappy Transmission issue

Hi Gang...I have a 06 K1200GT with 45K miles on it and I'm fairly certain my transmission is toast. Problem started about 6 months ago when in second gear, at RPMs above 5K (high torque), the bike momentary seems to drop out of gear than re-engages….almost like a pulsing …it feels like you momentarily hit the Rev limiter. If I come off the gas, all is well. Now the problem has propagated into third gear as well only worst...happens around 4000 RPM. Don't think it's the clutch since it only happens in those two gears. Talked to our local BMW shop (not Dealer) and he says he has seen this before on my model bike...it's a design issue with the bike and I need a new transmission. Does BMW stand behind their product and fix these things …at least provide a replacement unit at cost? Can one get the transmission rebuilt? Any suggestions?
Bucky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 2013, 1:55 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsbuchwald
Does BMW stand behind their product and fix these things …at least provide a replacement unit at cost?
Uhhh NO

Any suggestions?
K-Y Jelly or Astroglide as they are both water soluable and make for easier cleanup.

Seriously, the least expensive route is to find one out of a wrecked bike (if you can). Expect no help from BMW especially for a 7 year old bike.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Message sent from my Radio Shack TRS-80 using a keyboard and electricity.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 1st, 2013, 7:25 am
Addict

Quote:
Hi Gang...I have a 06 K1200GT with 45K miles on it and I'm fairly certain my transmission is toast. Problem started about 6 months ago when in second gear, at RPMs above 5K (high torque), the bike momentary seems to drop out of gear than re-engages….almost like a pulsing …it feels like you momentarily hit the Rev limiter. If I come off the gas, all is well. Now the problem has propagated into third gear as well only worst...happens around 4000 RPM. Don't think it's the clutch since it only happens in those two gears. Talked to our local BMW shop (not Dealer) and he says he has seen this before on my model bike...it's a design issue with the bike and I need a new transmission. Does BMW stand behind their product and fix these things …at least provide a replacement unit at cost? Can one get the transmission rebuilt? Any suggestions?
Bucky
are you the original owner have you maintained the bike and performed all the service 's also there are only 2 dealers in san diego and i am familular with both ,and both are great shops ,there is a independant bmw authorized mechanic but never have used his service's .. good luck and keep us posted on the outcome...

i've spent most my money on bike's boat's and broad's the rest i've wasted..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 2nd, 2013, 9:02 pm

Trans Problem?

I would recommend a call to Dave Campbell in Santee. He is an expert in all things BMW. He was my mechanic at Brattin before opening his own shop. He will give you straight advice and minimal costs. Good luck and let us know your outcome.
EJ
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 2013, 9:03 am
Veteran

Quote:
.. Does BMW stand behind their product and fix these things …at least provide a replacement unit at cost? ....
You guys know I'm just dy'in here!

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 2013, 9:44 am
Enthusiast

Was wondering when you were going to chime in..

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Message sent from my Radio Shack TRS-80 using a keyboard and electricity.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 2013, 9:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by moymurfs
Was wondering when you were going to chime in..
Can't resist. How many years has BMW been manufacturing transmissions for motorcycles?
As long as it makes it 36 months or 36,000 miles BMW is out. Good luck if they even acknowledge your request. Keep us posted.

2013 Honda Goldwing F6B
1970 Norton Commando
820,000+ miles on 2 wheels in 39 years

Past experience: 2012 Victory Vision, 2011 Triumph Sprint GT, 2007 K1200GT 88,000 miles and rebuilt, 51 Vincent Special, 08 B-King, 07 Redneck Undresser, 06 K1200 S (final drive failure), 04 ST1300, 04 Hyabusa, 04 Aprilia Futura, 00 Softail, 98 Buell S3T, 98 Electra Glide, 97 Electra Glide, 94 Low Rider, 92 Fatboy, 91 FXRP, 90 Buell RS 1200, 83 Electra Glide, 83 XL Roadster, 74 XLCH, 74 Triumph TR5T plus 6 custom built Hard Tail Choppers!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 2013, 11:58 pm
Noob

Definative Answer to the skipping transmission issue

Several months back I posted a question about my 2007 skipping/studdering in 2nd gear under load. I recieved some good direction from a few of the lead people from the forum and proceeded to send my trans out to R&D Motorsports in Florida who specialize in the repair of this issue with the 2006 - 2008 KGTs. I can now say that after a few months of testing the transmission is rock solid. It actually operates better than it ever has in all aspects (Quieter, Smoother, no sudden loss of power in 2nd) I highly recommend R&D Motorsports for anyone with this issue. The entire job including shipping back and forth between Vancouver and Florida $2000 , which is still better than $3600 for a new trans alone.
Regards, Monty

Just Dig My 07 GT
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 2013, 7:18 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1951vbs
Can't resist. How many years has BMW been manufacturing transmissions for motorcycles?
As long as it makes it 36 months or 36,000 miles BMW is out. Good luck if they even acknowledge your request. Keep us posted.
not any mfgr will back up a 6 year old bike ,again this has nothing to do with bmw and again my tranny is fine so why did they get mine correct!!!!

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 2013, 7:34 am
Addict

harley davidson warranty is for 2 years ..see here
http://www.harleyofmasoncity.com/miscpage_010.asp

and bmw give's you 3 years ..see here
http://bmwwarranty.net/bmw-motorcycl...ty-information

and the japanese bike's only come with a 1 year see here
http://www.ehow.com/facts_7679900_ya...formation.html

seems to me that compared to most all other mfgr Bmw has the best most complete warranty .

sounds pretty good to me

SHOW ME ANY MFGR THAT WILL WORK FOR FREE ON A 6 YR OLD BIKE UNLESS IT HAS THE EXTENDED WHICH THEY ALL OFFER !!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode