Oil change and tires while you wait? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 2013, 4:29 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Oil change and tires while you wait?

Conceptually could you get an oil change, final drive oil and new tires put on an '07 K12GT while you wait? Say if you were on a cross country trip and rolled into a dealer to have this service, assuming a bay was open, could it be done while you wait? It's what, two hours of work?

I just called up my local dealer to schedule this service to be done the week of April 9. I said I'd drop the bike off on 4/9 and I'd pick it up on 4/13. The dealer said they can't guarantee it will be done because that's getting into the busy season. That's why I called a month ahead of time!

I am leaving on a 5,000 trip the following week. So I have to have the bike back and I have to have service. I can't (don't want to) bring it in earlier b/c it simply won't be ready for service yet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 2013, 6:07 pm
Veteran

20 years ago you could count on just about any dealer doing tires and oil with little to no notice and welcome your business. Especially when on the road. No more. This has become one of my major pet peeves with BMW dealers. They want to carry the logo...but unless you bought the bike from them...and even then some times they don't give a shit...you're going to wait weeks. There are many dealers and too long a list that I wouldn't even bother with just because of this attitude. I've had the dealers in Reno, Salt Lake, Las Vegas, Austin, Denver, Spokane, and more all tell me no way. Can't get you in for 3 or 4 weeks. Sometimes longer. Any that can't fit you in on the road with a few days notice for tires and oil isn't worth giving business to IMO. F'em.

The following 3 are the ones that I know will take care of you and I go out of my way to give business to. They've become my go to dealers for on the road service and cover strategic parts of the country. Just plan accordingly and try to give them a few days heads up. Make sure they have the tires you want too.

A&S in Sacramento...Always treat me well with just a few days notice no matter what time of year.

Big Sky in Missoula...great guys but give them as much notice as possible. Smaller shop but they will take care of you.

Gina's in Iowa City...call if you want tires and oil on Saturday. Any other day ride in Tues - Fri.

There are others and some of the other guys here might chime in. I've heard good things about though never used...Ozzie's in Chico, the guys down in Albuquerque, and the folks up in Tigard, OR.

Good luck.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

Last edited by Robert_W; Mar 5th, 2013 at 6:12 pm.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 2013, 7:37 pm
Addict

here in san diego both both dealers would accomodate as it's riding season year round here ,plus they do mine in that amount of time ,i usually go test ride a bike or 2 to kill the time

i've spent most my money on bike's boat's and broad's the rest i've wasted..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 2013, 9:14 pm

BMW-Ducati Charlotte: Drop it off on the way to work, take a loaner bike to work and pick it up on the way home. I'll bet I put 6000 miles on the loaner for warranty work!

2013 Honda Goldwing F6B
1970 Norton Commando
820,000+ miles on 2 wheels in 39 years

Past experience: 2012 Victory Vision, 2011 Triumph Sprint GT, 2007 K1200GT 88,000 miles and rebuilt, 51 Vincent Special, 08 B-King, 07 Redneck Undresser, 06 K1200 S (final drive failure), 04 ST1300, 04 Hyabusa, 04 Aprilia Futura, 00 Softail, 98 Buell S3T, 98 Electra Glide, 97 Electra Glide, 94 Low Rider, 92 Fatboy, 91 FXRP, 90 Buell RS 1200, 83 Electra Glide, 83 XL Roadster, 74 XLCH, 74 Triumph TR5T plus 6 custom built Hard Tail Choppers!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 2013, 9:15 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1951vbs
BMW-Ducati Charlotte: Drop it off on the way to work, take a loaner bike to work and pick it up on the way home. I'll bet I put 6000 miles on the loaner for warranty work!
That's the way it should be done!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 2013, 10:12 pm
IBR# 366

I've had great luck with my local dealer, BMW Ventura in SoCal, as have many travelers. They do what it takes to get you in and back on the road quickly. Also the dealers in Tigard (Portland), Oregon and Marietta (Atlanta), GA have treated me very well.

I've also changed engine and final drive oil in a WalMart or AutoZone parking lot, so I can grab any accessories I need and recycle the old oil right there.

And I carry everything I need to remove both wheels so any local bike or accessories shop can mount & balance the tires.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 2013, 10:42 am
Enthusiast

Karl - Call Joe at Max - they might be slowing down a bit. he might be able to fit you in & remember free pick up & drop off 7 no tax - good luck hope to catch up soon with you - be safe on your trip - are you heading home down South to NO

'91 K75S
'06 K1200S
'05 R1200GS
BMWMOA # 119240
Yankee Beemer # 153
NRA # 154764753
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2013, 8:40 am
Noob

Max BMW will do tires while you wait. Price is right too. Right at Internet tire prices. Did that for me with a day notice April 2012 for a front on a 2007 GT. that gives you three locations NH, CT and NY. Probably will do oil too. I had Asheville NC dealer do oil change with a call day before. I said 2pm was when I could get there heading north from south GA. I was out by 4 with a couple of recommendations for interesting ride route to Knoxville . Both dealers are very good.

Eat dessert first.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Mar 31st, 2013, 10:35 am
Enthusiast

Took my bike in Yesterday morning for 30K service and Jump Guard. The dealer lent me a new C600 Scooter which was a bit of laugh. I went back 3 hours later but they were having some issues with the gasket sealing so asked If I would mind taking another bike for a spin for an hour and promptly handed me the keys to a brand new K1300S sport, back an hour later all done.

The Loaner

My Bike today, not looking too shabby for 30K

Tim
------------------

2011 K1300GT

Last edited by Special-K; Mar 31st, 2013 at 11:38 am.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Apr 2nd, 2013, 5:23 pm

my dealer does oil and tires while I wait, no problems.

I do give him the luxury of a making a apt. since I ride in on Saturday mornings but I am always on the road by lunch time. If I could get there during the week, I would not even bother with the appt.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode