The BMW Myth - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2013, 3:35 pm Thread Starter
Addict

The BMW Myth

So I was perusing the web looking at bikes and came across Bob's BMW...and their description of the K1600GT
http://www.bobsbmw.com/new-motorcycl...roducts_id=416

"The in-line 6-cylinder engines by BMW are legendary. A myth which has been realized once more in the K 1600 GT "

One of Webster's definitions of myth: an unfounded or false notion

Mmmm maybe they need a proof reader.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2013, 4:12 pm

Not so much. In my dictionary, one definition of "to realize" is "to bring out or make real." So the K16 makes "false notions" about the in-line 6 a reality. Assuming these notions are positive, it sounds pretty good.

For the in-line 6 bikes, that is. Not necessarily for the cars.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2013, 11:03 pm
IBR# 366

Dealer websites are all about the marketing blitz. It's what sells bikes . . .

I've run two K1200GTs for 150K miles, a K1300GT for 26K miles, and now a K1600GTL for 35K miles. So I'm pretty familiar with how these bikes have evolved.

The naturally balanced Slant/6 is an excellent motor, with basically the same HP as the Slant/4, but a whopping 30% more torque, most of which is available just off idle. That engine simply pulls hard in any gear, at any rpms . . .

The weight is up from the Slant/4 GT, but the increased torque, lower CoG, and better overall balance means it is just as easy to ride hard as the lighter Slant/4 bikes. And everything else on the K16 is advanced and improved as well.

The K1200GT is a fine bike, especially at current prices. That is, if your fueling is steady and your final drive and valve train hold together.

The K1300GT is that much better than the K1200GT in so many small yet important ways, and it's still a hell of a lot of fun to ride.

And the K1600GT/L is a generation ahead.

No bike is perfect, especially a BMW. But they are making serious strides on every newer model, and it shows when you ride them back-to-back.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Last edited by Meese; Apr 8th, 2013 at 11:13 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2013, 9:11 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese
No bike is perfect, especially a BMW. But they are making serious strides on every newer model, and it shows when you ride them back-to-back.
That is exactly what was said about the slant-K when it first came out.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2013, 9:29 am Thread Starter
Addict

I'm not knocking the new GT. No reason to. I'd actually like one, one day. I just thought it a strange choice of wording for a marketing statement even though the word myth can be defined different ways. An advertising person you would think would stay away from such wording.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2013, 10:28 am
IBR# 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller
That is exactly what was said about the slant-K when it first came out.
And they were right. The Slant/4 bikes are a generation ahead of the old Flying Brick bikes in many ways.

The fueling issues (which were solved in the K13 bikes), and final drive and valve train failures (which were solved with quality control and updated parts) remain a cause for concern on many of these now-used bikes that haven't received all the latest updates. More so on the 1200's than the 1300's.

But through forums like this one, these issues and their fixes are well known, so a rider can make a well-informed decision when contemplating the purchase of one of these machines.

Sure, I think that BMW could've handled these issues much better. But as a manufacturing engineer, I understand why they handled things the way they did. Not that I always agree with their actions (hence my avatar), but I'm not terribly surprised, either.

BMW has a reputation for pursuing leading-edge technologies, but sometimes, they overlook something so glaringly obvious that it puts an unsightly blemish on an otherwise beautiful machine. And on BMW's vaunted reputation for engineering excellence, and deservedly so.

An informed rider will either accept that and work with it, or sell the bike in disgust and leave the brand altogether.

The question then becomes, where do you and your bike fall?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2013, 10:32 am
IBR# 366

Marketing people often make strange choices in the search for something unique and eye-or-ear-catching to make their brand stand out from the crowd. Sometimes it works, and sometimes not so much . . .

There was a sports show company that named their latest show Succubus, because it sounded cool. They actually printed up all the boxes and marketing materials before someone finally said "Hey, guys, do you actually know what that word means?"

Yeah . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2013, 12:14 pm
Addict

Quote:
BMW has a reputation for pursuing leading-edge technologies, but sometimes, they overlook something so glaringly obvious that it puts an unsightly blemish on an otherwise beautiful machine. And on BMW's vaunted reputation for engineering excellence, and deservedly so.

An informed rider will either accept that and work with it, or sell the bike in disgust and leave the brand altogether.
Wow, that sums about 1,000 threads in just a few sentences. Well said.

Unfortunately, their corporate culture seems to facilitate those oversights. Hopefully they will get a handle on that someday, but cultures are hard to change.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2013, 6:25 pm
Addict

MEESE!!!you alway's have away of putting it together nicely and directly when it come's to those type of statements ..i could'nt agree more by the way aswell
i think marketing is for the general populaition those of us who have become familuar with the product decide for ourselve's based on expireance not marketing..
for example i have never purchased a bike based on reliability or resale ,i buy because it works for me...

i've spent most my money on bike's boat's and broad's the rest i've wasted..
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2013, 9:45 pm
Veteran

Quote:

Sure, I think that BMW could've handled these issues much better.
Issues? These bikes have issues?

BTW...I just finished a 6000 mile trip on my GSA and RARELY thought about my GT the whole time.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode