New Member From the UK. - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2013, 5:44 am Thread Starter
Noob

New Member From the UK.

Hi All,

I'm Steve from the UK. I've had my 1200GT (07) for 5 months now, and I love it!

Had an R1200S for the weekends and an R1150RT for work (the best bike I've ever owned IMHO, but it was very unreliable ) before, but wanted just one do everything bike. So I got the K!

The clutch sucks when it gets hot, but otherwise it's an excellent all round bike.

It's been slogged through the British winter to work and back, and only just had its first 200mile day this weekend. The screen is good but loud (not an issue with ear plugs in), the seat is a bit hard (but I can live with it), and it seems to create alot of pressure on my arms while cruising at 70/80 ish. Has anyone tried the wunderlich fairing extenders? do they help?

Cheers,
Steve.

Steve.
------
Kawasaki BN125 - Died
Honda CR125 - Sold
KTM 200EXC - Sold
Honda XL125 Varadero - PX
Honda CB500 - Died
Suzuki Gladius - PX
BMW R1200S - PX
MZ ETZ250 - Sold
Bmw R1150RT - PX
BMW K1200GT SE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2013, 8:00 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve1200S
Hi All,

I'm Steve from the UK. I've had my 1200GT (07) for 5 months now, and I love it!

Had an R1200S for the weekends and an R1150RT for work (the best bike I've ever owned IMHO, but it was very unreliable ) before, but wanted just one do everything bike. So I got the K!

The clutch sucks when it gets hot, but otherwise it's an excellent all round bike.

It's been slogged through the British winter to work and back, and only just had its first 200mile day this weekend. The screen is good but loud (not an issue with ear plugs in), the seat is a bit hard (but I can live with it), and it seems to create alot of pressure on my arms while cruising at 70/80 ish. Has anyone tried the wunderlich fairing extenders? do they help?

Cheers,
Steve.

I just took delivery of a set of Aeroguards http://aeroflowscreens.com/K1300GT_K...GTProducts.htm
I probably won't install them until late fall as I want more air in the summer. They seem to have more coverage than the Wunderlichs. I have only heard good things about the Aeroguards . I don't know of anyone who has the Wunderlichs.
You might want to consider a different screen and kill 2 birds with one stone. You can get quieter AND more coverage with all the choices out there...just something to consider.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Message sent from my Radio Shack TRS-80 using a keyboard and electricity.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2013, 11:08 am
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Hi Steve, welcome to K-Bikes! I have the same bike, and I love it. It does everything I've ever wanted a bike to do, and my plan now is to keep it until I'm too old to ride it and then give it to my son. I've not experienced anything bad with the clutch, but I admit I'm a "mild" rider... I have the Wunderlich hand guards and I don't think they have a dramatic affect aerodynamically, but I like the look so I keep them on. I don't feel any pressure on my arms at ANY speed. As I recall, the bike came originally with the buyer's choice of a high or a low windshield, and I took the high one. As for the seat, that model went through two or three iterations of seats. You may have the first version, which was indeed very hard. I changed out seats at the dealership I go to, and the last version is much better. Best of luck, and welcome aboard!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2013, 5:51 pm
Addict

Yes welcome...the BEST and WORST BMW they ever made IMHO.

Make sure you follow all the advice concerning the proper maintenance and upgrades your bike needs to keep it in the BEST catagory.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old May 8th, 2013, 7:23 pm
Addict

^^^^what he said !!!and welcome..

i've spent most my money on bike's boat's and broad's the rest i've wasted..
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2013, 2:20 am Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks All.

It is an amazing bike, the stories of it breaking do worry me, but I try to ignore them and just enjoy it. I'm on extended warranty so everything will get fixed if it breaks.......

Steve.
------
Kawasaki BN125 - Died
Honda CR125 - Sold
KTM 200EXC - Sold
Honda XL125 Varadero - PX
Honda CB500 - Died
Suzuki Gladius - PX
BMW R1200S - PX
MZ ETZ250 - Sold
Bmw R1150RT - PX
BMW K1200GT SE
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2013, 5:51 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Thanks All.

It is an amazing bike, the stories of it breaking do worry me, but I try to ignore them and just enjoy it. I'm on extended warranty so everything will get fixed if it breaks.......
Where the fun starts is when you 3 years down the road,spent a grand on warranty and then your left thinking where does one draw the line,like the rest of us do in the Uk.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2013, 12:36 pm
Addict

Quote:
Thanks All.

I'd advise against waiting for break...be pro-active and at least do the little things....lube rear diff, cam chain guard,

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode