K1200GT power up issue - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2013, 2:02 pm Thread Starter

Garage
K1200GT power up issue

My K occasionally exhibits a powering on problem. The dealership tell me it's a faulty ignition switch, and that it's not covered under the extended warranty.

I'm 99.9999999% sure they're wrong as it always powers up perfectly when I use it daily, however at some undeterminded period in excess of say a week of being parked in the garage it will fail to power on when the ignition switch is turned on.

I've tried disarming the alarm via the remote first and that doesn't seem to make any difference.

The battery is in excellent condition being an Odyssey that's on a BMW maintenance charger.

Once it's in "sulk" mode it sits there totally unresponsive to turning the key, no lights no powering up sequence nothing, zilch.

Then if you leave it .... again for an undermined time but lets say 20 minutes it springs to life on the next application of the key as if nothing happened......

This is why I side more with it being a canbus/computer/alarm/ews issue rather than a simple failed or failing switch as I reason a failing switch would not discriminate with being used daily or infrequently.

Anyone have any experience of such an issue?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old May 9th, 2013, 7:43 pm
Addict

It doesn't seem like a switch problem but then again you can be surprised sometimes, I had a problem with the kill switch that I just swore couldn't be the switch due to the symptoms, but in the end replacing the switch cured the problem.

Why isn't the ignition switch covered under the extended warranty?
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old May 10th, 2013, 9:25 am
Veteran

Yeah ditto the why not covered question?

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2014, 1:08 pm
Noob

Need HELP!!

Hi there! I've got a similar issue:

My k1200gt (2007) does not react to the key. When I turn the key nothing happens. When I connect the battery the dash-board lights up for a few seconds and then the light goes off.

What kind of problem can it be? I need to sort it out myself, as there are no BMW service centers anywhere around.

Thanx!
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2014, 9:23 pm

Have you "jumped" with a known good battery? Electronics don't like low voltages .
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 20th, 2014, 11:17 pm
Rookie

I had a similar problem on my 08 GT and it was two lose wires in the ignition switch. With the key turned on try moving the wire to see if you get power worked for me.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 2015, 7:05 am Thread Starter

Garage
In the end I replaced the switch and it's now all working, so looks like the dealers where right

Oh and no switches are covered under the extended warranty, only control modules such as the ABS computer etc

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode