K1300GT Highway Pegs AT LAST!!!! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2013, 9:03 am Thread Starter
Noob

K1300GT Highway Pegs AT LAST!!!!

I have few regrets after moving from a V Star 1100 classic cruiser to a K1300GT. The BMW is more powerful, has much better torque and the accessories (cruise control, heated seats, adjustable windscreen etc.) are fantastic. The only problem is that owning a discontinued model, especially one that had a short production run, means limited aftermarket add-ons. One thing I miss is the highway pegs that I had on my V Star. After a few hours on my K13, I wished for a second position for my feet.

Thankfully, one of our own has come to the rescue. A fellow K1300GT rider, Ken Estrada from New Mexico, has designed a great set of highway pegs just for the K1300GT. They are machined out of aluminum, easy to install and work great! If you are interested in learning more about these wonderful additions to the K13 or ordering a set, contact Ken at [email protected] – you’ll be glad you did.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2013, 9:05 am

If you get a chance post some photos please!

"CAN YOU SEE ME NOW?"
Jeff Guntert - Schenectady, NY
2008 K1200GT
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old May 11th, 2013, 9:34 am
Enthusiast

IF these are the ones you are referring to they have been out for a while.. He advertised them on another site. A little pricey..but that's what happens when you produce a specialty item.

http://www.i-bmw.com/classifieds/sho...way-pegs&cat=6

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Message sent from my Radio Shack TRS-80 using a keyboard and electricity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2013, 5:39 am Thread Starter
Noob

Yes, this is the same item. Ken has been able to reduce his costs, so the price has gone down. If you are interested, you should contact Ken directly.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2013, 9:40 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by moymurfs
.... A little pricey..but that's what happens when you produce a specialty item.

Yowza....a "little" pricey? $425.00

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2013, 2:05 am

Do they fold up? If so, are there pics?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old May 14th, 2013, 9:27 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by robday
Do they fold up? If so, are there pics?

again...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Message sent from my Radio Shack TRS-80 using a keyboard and electricity.

Last edited by Meese; May 14th, 2013 at 9:36 am. Reason: fixed url
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old May 15th, 2013, 10:53 am

Yeah, thanks. None of those pics show them folded.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 2013, 11:20 am
Noob

K1300gt/1200gt highway Roto-Pegs

Quote:
Originally Posted by robday
Yeah, thanks. None of those pics show them folded.
Hello fellow riders!
I am the guy who designed these pegs. The following is my story as to how and why they came to be. I might add that I have now developed a different technique that polished the refined aluminum and is now available in a matte finish that much more resembles the existing frame.
I originally purchased my bike and rode out to South Dakota for the rally. It is an 800 mile ride from home and we usually cut it up into two legs. The amount of discomfort I felt on the ride up was unbelievable. I was having knee and leg cramping, the seat was uncomfortable, and I was all around miserable. When I got to the rally, I had my seat modified and tried to find some type of highway peg that I could use for the ride home. The seat helped a little, but I didn't find anything I could use for highway pegs. I believed that the problem was the seat, being that it was too narrow and did not support my backside properly. When I arrived home, I spent alot of time trying to redesign my seat, and even though it helped, the leg and knee pain, on long rides, continued. I realized that the pain I was feeling, was a combination of two things. The seat, and the position of my legs. When you sit on this bike, your legs are in a crouched riding position, as you know. Blood flow to the lower part of your legs is diminished in this position and causes the fatigue you feel. I searched the internet the world over in search of some highway pegs for this bike, and as you probably know, there aren't any. I was literally going to sell the bike, because of this issue. As much as I love the way it handles, accelerates, and feels like you are on a much lighter bike, I could not handle the discomfort I had while touring. My last ditch effort was to try and make some type of peg that would be ergonomically correct, look good, be innovative, and actually work to alleviate the pain I felt. I have worked with the machinist that I currently use before, and started the design process. The result after 20 to 30 hours of design actually looked nothing like what we have now. The prototype basically positioned the pegs where they are now, but the brackets were different on each side. I tested the original prototype on the next long ride out to Sturgis and the difference was incredible. The ability to move your feet to a new position that allowed for better blood flow to your lower legs is one of the corrections to the leg and knee discomfort. The new radical Roto-Peg is also a revolutionary new design, where the peg deploys not by folding out, but by rotating and clicking into place. I have also purchased a Corbin seat which gives the support that is lacking of the original seat. The only problem that I had after installing the Corbin is that the seat height was like the original seat in the high position. I am 5'7" and it was difficult to back the bike up when I am on my tip toes. I have now installed a lowering kit from Lust Racing and am back to having my feet flat on the ground while on the bike. I came close to selling this great sport tourer, but the peg fix was the savior. I figured that I could help a few riders who had experienced the same problem that I had and was suprised to find how many riders out there were in the same boat. I have started manufacturing these pegs and by mid June, I should have about 20 more sets in stock and ready to ship. As of this email, four sets have been paid for, and reserved for other riders across the country. I am selling them on a first come first serve basis and will ship as soon as they have been assembled and tested. The price is $350 a set plus $15.30 priority mail (about 3 days from ship date to delivery) in the lower 48. International rates are different and will be quoted with a confirmed shipping address. I can send an invoice via paypal if you are interested. Pictures are available at, Estrada Design Ventures facebook page.
https://www.facebook.com/EstradaDesignVentures
Ken

Last edited by gargoyle345; Jun 3rd, 2013 at 5:30 pm.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Jun 3rd, 2013, 2:57 pm

Bad link to the Facebook page needs to be corrected, but it looks cool.

Scott

Un-used mirror hole mounting posts AVAILABLE

Check it out here!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode