ADVICE NEEDED: Idle Surging and PowerFRK - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2013, 3:28 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

ADVICE NEEDED: Idle Surging and PowerFRK

Sorry I have been gone for some time. My 2007 K1200GT has been sitting for a long time at the dealer after my accident. The dealer claims that they have been starting it weekly and keeping the battery charged.

When they had the tank out many months ago, I asked them to plug in a PowerFRK that I had bought in 2009 but never used. My goal was to smooth out throttle response at low speeds, such as in a parking lot.

Now that it is ready, the dealer tells me that the bike is not stable at idle. It surges up and down, up to 2000 RPM, down to below 700 RPM, and has stalled twice on idle. The tried flashing the ROM on the bike, but it did not make a difference. (The airbox was replaced under the recall in 2008.) Of course, the dealer wants to blame the PowerFRK.

I called Robert at PowerFRK USA, and he swears that the problem is not and could not be the PowerFRK. He says that the dealer should check the oxygen sensor. If it not the sensor, then he says that the ECU has been flashed one too many times. (I told him that it has not been done much, but he says that the dealers often flash the ECU without telling customers, just to make sure they are up to date.) Robert claims that there is a "silent recall" on the ECUs that have been over-flashed, saying that they repeated "hunt" (RPM not stable).

Robert says that if the O2 sensor is good, then I should send him the ECU along with a few hundred dollars. He says that he will wipe the ECU and flash it correctly, not only solving the problem but also mapping the engine for superior power and performance. He says that his work will not interfere with my GS911.

The dealer is waiting for an answer from me. What would you recommend?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old May 12th, 2013, 5:15 pm
Enthusiast

Garage
I have had a Powerfrk on my GT since 2009, I installed a new O2 sensor with the Powerfrk, as that was suggested to do this with the install.

You could have the dealer remove the Powerfrk, and install a new O2 sensor. Of course they will want to install the BMW sensor which lists at $240. I would insist that only if it was successful in fixing the problem would I pay for the work.

A Bosch unit (5730005) from Advance auto parts (15178) $48 works, you do have to cut and solder wires. (connectors don't match) There probably is an generic automotive unit that is a direct replacement in the $50 range, but it doesn't say BMW

'07 K1200GT Crystal Gray Metalic
'00 Ducati 900 Monster
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2013, 9:12 am
Addict

I don't think there's much you can do but remove the PowerFRK and see what happens, else all you will get is finger-pointing. If the problem persists (and it probably will) then you (or the dealer) will have to troubleshoot it. I'd be leery of just throwing parts at it (i.e., replace the O2 sensor, etc.) without some diagnosis as a lot of O2 sensors get replaced for no reason. The first thing anyone should do is look for any existing fault codes and at real-time data to see if anything obvious is amiss. Sounds like you have a GS911 so I'd give that a go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2013, 9:37 am
Veteran

Before anything get out and ride it. Even after airbox replacement, ECU flash blah blah blah...mine has occasionally had a hiccup and slight surge when sitting at idle. I've just sort of learned to live with it. No big deal really. Runs great other wise. Ditto the GS-911 and look for fault codes. Then get the generic O2 sensor if needed.

I don't buy the ECU over flash thing. Sounds like

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2013, 9:37 am Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller
I don't think there's much you can do but remove the PowerFRK and see what happens, else all you will get is finger-pointing. If the problem persists (and it probably will) then you (or the dealer) will have to troubleshoot it. I'd be leery of just throwing parts at it (i.e., replace the O2 sensor, etc.) without some diagnosis as a lot of O2 sensors get replaced for no reason. The first thing anyone should do is look for any existing fault codes and at real-time data to see if anything obvious is amiss. Sounds like you have a GS911 so I'd give that a go.
Helpful advice. The problem is that the bike is still at the dealer. I hate to pay for them to remove the PowerFRK, and yet I hate the thought of getting the bike home to face the same thing. The dealer has already soaked me for more money than the bike is worth.

Does anyone have similar symptoms that they could trace directly to installing a PowerFRK?
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2013, 11:50 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
The problem is that the bike is still at the dealer. I hate to pay for them to remove the PowerFRK, and yet I hate the thought of getting the bike home to face the same thing.
Are you planning on having the dealer fix the problem or are you going to tackle it? If the dealer then I'd think you'd pretty much have to let them do what they think is best to diagnose the problem. If you plan on working on it then you're probably going to have the bike apart again anyway so you can deal with it then.

This is the first I've ever heard of the 'too many flashes' thing and I'd be pretty skeptical about that. But that said I would also tend to think the cause is other than the PowerFRK since all it really does is spoof IAT and I'm not sure how that could cause the problem. I would (again, in addition to what the GS911 might tell you) look at whether something was left disconnected when the bike was put back together (not at all unlikely) or perhaps the fuel system is gummed up from all the cold starts (in terms of storage care, starting and running an engine for short periods is worse than doing nothing at all.)
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2013, 4:28 pm
Veteran

I'd put money on that airbox and idle plunger thing sticking. I've had 3 airboxes and at least one or two of the solenoid plungers. They just warp and stick, or the solenoid plunger shaft carbons up too. I do have the PwrFrk in it as well, but it only helped for the 3,200RPM stumble. If it were the O2, you should see it walk out of tolerance range on the GS-911.

I did put a manual cam chain adjuster in mine just because I have zero faith in the chain-slappy hydraulic thing of BMW. I put one in the S1000RR too and it smoothed it down on idle as well (Most of the race guys dumped that hydraulic thing fast!). Helps a lot with the very slow speed idle around in a parking lot and takes some herky-jerky out of the slow 1250-1000RPM range. Their higher RPM is more the solenoid part acting up.

Some have reported injector cleaning, but that seems more constant than sporadic like a sticking idle plunger. I haven't had the sticking hihg RPM throttle issue on the S100RR yet, but it has 8 injectors too over the K's four. I do dump in some of that Lucas Fuel Cleaner/Conditioner stuff from CarQuest at times in both bikes.

Mack
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old May 13th, 2013, 9:52 pm

You say your bike has been sitting for some time at the dealer. Not sure if you have considered this, but bad gas, sitting around for some time will give you issues. I would suggest getting it out of the stealers grip and ride it. Buy the best gas you can and run through a couple of tanks....never know...

good luck.. keep us posted

kbikeinbc
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2013, 7:32 am Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbikeinbc
You say your bike has been sitting for some time at the dealer. Not sure if you have considered this, but bad gas, sitting around for some time will give you issues. I would suggest getting it out of the stealers grip and ride it. Buy the best gas you can and run through a couple of tanks....never know...

good luck.. keep us posted

kbikeinbc
That was the answer. The manager at the dealer put some fresh fuel in the tank along with the BMW Techron fuel additive, then he took the bike home and back on a normal 20 mile commute. Problem solved.

I rode the bike home yesterday. It felt good to be riding again. Thank you to everyone for their helpful advice.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old May 18th, 2013, 11:32 am
Addict

That's great, glad it turned out to be something simple!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode