Comprehensive recall & technical campaign list? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2013, 12:14 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Comprehensive recall & technical campaign list?

Hello all,

I'm interested in a k12/13gt as my next bike (currently riding a VFR800). I've been reading a bunch on this site and feeling like I starting to get a sense of what I'd be getting into...thank you all for sharing your experience and expertise!

What I can't find is a comprehensive list of recalls or "technical campaigns" that apply to the Next Gen K12/13GT. Does such an animal exist?

I'd love to be able to reference something like this against the service history of any bike I'm considering.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2013, 10:06 am
Noob

The recalls will be done free by the dealer if they have not already been done.

The problem are the non recall items... I have been shocked by the lack of BMW support for failure items that would be an instant recall if this was a car. I am glad Ducati has been acquired and will likely look to perhaps compete in perhaps higher volume segments. BMW will have a very rude awakening and may not get any sympathy as a result. To be honest, I will never buy a BMW again but will stick with my bike as I am invested in it. When all problems are dealt with, it is a lovely bike...but only within warranty!

1) Key ring sensor.
It senses the chip inside your ignition key. Mine failed out of warranty on a long trip and the bike would thus not start. BMW dealer said that it is only a recall if your bike is in warranty. Atrocious. Depending on the year of the bike you are looking at, replace it if it has not been done already. If you do mechanical work yourself, it is very easy to do.

2) ABS
In certain models the motor brushes can stick causing the unit not to work and the warning light to be on. The brakes will still work, but with no ABS and no proportioning to the rear brakes when the front is activated. Mine failed out of warranty and I was quoted about $4000 to fix by the dealer. I did it myself for a few hundred dollars. If the model year you are looking at is prone to ABS failure and has not had the ABS replaced, best to consider not buying that bike as the ABS seems to have no pattern as to when it will fail. It is a sudden bill out of proportion to the price of the bike unless you do the work yourself.

3) Fuel sensor strip.
Certain models have a sensor strip in the gas tank instead of a float. Again this seems to fail with no pattern. Mine just did with the bike 6 years old and 18,000 kms on it. Vancouver Dealer quoted me $285 for the part and two plus hours. Regretfully it cannot be done by home mechanic as the sensor strip must be calibrated by the dealer computer. I will not be paying the dealer to do it at this time and may just refill the gas tank based on odometer reading.

4) Chain tensioner and chain guard.
I replaced these last year based on the great advice of the Forum, but of course shortly after it seems BMW has made it a recall.

5) General Maintenance.
Depending on the age and the mileage, it is good to know if the following has been done
Valve adjustment
Coolant change
Rear Axle fluid change
Air filter, etc
Brake fluid change

Dennis
2007 K1200GT
Vancouver
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2013, 11:00 am
Veteran

Don't forget the:

Air Box, ICV plunger thingy
Brake Lines
Suspension Wishbone
Rear Brake Sensor

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old May 20th, 2013, 11:13 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks guys!

Which model years are prone to the ABS failure?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2013, 2:49 am
Enthusiast

I wouldn't bother too much about the pro's and con's of the recalls,more about is it the bike for you,I had 30 odd years of Jap bikes and I'd had enough and wanted away from bland,BUT if you think that you'll have an easy life like your VFR,well you might do but the odds are you won't,and it's all down to how much you want to be different.

The complication!! when you ride one they are quick which kind of gloss's over some straight thinking ,just be aware of what you are getting into.

Last edited by chriscanning; May 21st, 2013 at 3:29 pm.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old May 21st, 2013, 8:41 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbenthin
Thanks guys!

Which model years are prone to the ABS failure?

I don't think it was any specific year...they all used (and are still using) the same motor/module. IF the manufacturer was secretly told to address the issue there would be little to no way to find out if and when they did. But, I haven't heard of any 1300 abs failures I have heard of 07 08 failures....mine is a 08..it crapped out at 12k miles.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Message sent from my Radio Shack TRS-80 using a keyboard and electricity.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode