replacing outer baggage / pannier cover w/ carbon fiber - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2013, 12:19 pm Thread Starter
Noob

replacing outer baggage / pannier cover w/ carbon fiber

Hello all-a little introduction first. I've been lurking since last summer, soaking up good vibes from fellow bike owners. I have a 2007 K1200GT I picked up last May which was in near perfect condition with 5,000.

Since then, I've doubled the mileage and had a couple of mishaps. First was my foot sliding out in a gravel parking lot-rock damage on the right side. Second was dropping in a parking lot where the tail came out from underneath me. I was fine, but the insurance company wrote the damage up for $7400!!! Part of that was a damaged speedometer display which was cracked during the fall. Nuts

I'm laying down paint right today/tomorrow-Infinity pearl white. I bought a set of Besteem carbon fiber side case covers and can't get the OEM cover separated from the inner shell. Can anyone advise?

I have spent about 2hours working on the OEM covers trying to fix them-but I'm not that great at mudwork and having trouble getting the lines just right....knowing that imperfections will be magnified under the pearl/clear and it WILL haunt me everytime I look at it.

Otherwise, the K1200GT is the balls I will be installing the Boosterplug while putting the bike back together-hope to get ride of the occasional nasty shut down problem where I would be riding at speed, pull to a stoplight and completely lose the ability to idle. Then it would exhibit a 'hot shutdown'. Don't know what else to call this-she would be very difficult to crank, had to wait 5-10 minutes sometimes in order to start it-then she would start right up. After getting a replacement battery, this didn't happen-kind of odd, no other cold start issues w/ crank speed.

I'll share my other goodies soon including the windscreen order debacle, new topcase with fancy lights and pictures of the paint-after completion. Next on the to do list is figure out how to get lower to the ground-30" inseam contributes to making for a challenge touching the ground.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2013, 3:57 pm

If the carbon fiber coves are anything like the "City Lids" I bought they are not double walled and not very well weather sealed. What color is your bike? You can certainly find a color matched set of outer bag lids on eBay.

"CAN YOU SEE ME NOW?"
Jeff Guntert - Schenectady, NY
2008 K1200GT
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old May 19th, 2013, 10:50 pm
IBR# 366

The OEM saddlebag covers are glued together - they're not meant to be separated. You might be able to do it carefully, but you'd probably damage something.

Are you sure the carbon fibre covers need to replace the existing painted cover shells? Or do they replace the entire case lid (like the City Lids mentioned here)?

As for your existing lids, might be worth a few $$ to have somebody else prep them for paint for you . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 7th, 2013, 10:53 am Thread Starter
Noob

do you have any idea what/how they are glued? I've already painted everything including the new covers. The new covers don't seem to slip over the original case-they don't bottom out and they weren't meant to latch to the inner shell.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 2013, 8:49 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72chevy4x4
do you have any idea what/how they are glued? I've already painted everything including the new covers. The new covers don't seem to slip over the original case-they don't bottom out and they weren't meant to latch to the inner shell.

I think they may be "fused" together, not glued per se. Give me a couple hours I'll find out with the zipcut or bandsaw. I have an old cover here that I have been torturing, learning to repair/polish scratches etc...etc....!

You said right hand fall??? If so check the radiator bracket, fairing may have pushed against the air snorkel then in turn pushed the rad sideways a little. My rad is slightly bent now but I also had to straighten the bracket, I couldn't get the clips back in there easily. Straightened for "best fit".

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 2013, 1:24 pm
Veteran

Fused as I tought but just at a few "pins". Insert screwdriver and they break right off....pop!

I guess you could also drill them out.

And then...can't post pics of that seems to be glued together with double sticky tape in places. A flush with solvent or contact cement remover should get rid of that adhesion. Don't use brake cleaner, bad for ABS plastics.

Benelli 50cc at 14
Yamaha RD 200 at 16
Yamaha RD 350 at 17
Honda CB 750 F at 18
Honda V45 Sabre at 24
BMW K100RS at 27
BMW R100GS at 34
BMW K1200RS at 53

Last edited by H96669; Jun 8th, 2013 at 1:31 pm.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Jun 8th, 2013, 8:43 pm Thread Starter
Noob

mine was a left hand fall and the bracket near the top of the left fairing panel and cowl was bent, but nothing a little hammering and an anvil couldn't fix

thx for the note on the case. I don't recall the rivets-I'll check again. I separated the entire circumference by inserting a screwdriver/wedge/scraper between the shells. I can feel the bond of something holding it together-if it's sticky tape I'll try mineral spirits for 10 mins and it should pull apart, unless it's uber-industrial German sticky tape bwahahaha

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode