Was cam chain tensioner, Now cam chain sprockets?? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2013, 3:56 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Was cam chain tensioner, Now cam chain sprockets??

We all know the story on the need for the jump guard and tensioner. But has anyone put a good amount of miles on the upgraded parts? How long do they last?

My bike was in the shop today for a 60,000 mile service today and I got this note from the shop

when the tech closed up your bike and started it, it seemed to be much louder than before. Part of it was not having the body panels on, but we looked into the noise further and found the cam chain tensioner at it’s most extended point, and the cam chain guide rails visually worn. The cam chain is also worn as are the cam sprockets. To replace all these parts is 450

My bike had the upgraded tensioner and jump guard installed at 38,000 miles. So the tensioner and guide rails wore out in 22,000 miles? Even if it did, those things are cheap. But the chain and sprockets aren't cheap. Are those things known to wear?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old May 23rd, 2013, 6:57 pm
Addict

well for me anyway and this is soley my opinion but i believe what happend to your bike is the cause of not changing the sprocket and chain and the loose chain is what caused the wear again my opinion...my mechanic at the dealer in which i have been going to for a decade suggested very strongly that i change the chain and sprocket's at the 36-k service, and i did!! he showed me the slack when the bike was being serviced and i agreed ,some slack is ok but this is the weakest point of the bike so what the hell
and 450 is alot cheaper than a new motor when it does decide to jump
my old sprocket's and chain hang in my garage now and my bike feel's tighter than a bulls ass in fly season at 44-k now and at this point i still would'nt trade her in for anything else and have gained alot more confidence in the bike since doing so ,hope this helps..

i've spent most my money on bike's boat's and broad's the rest i've wasted..
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old May 24th, 2013, 8:51 am Thread Starter
Rookie

That helps a lot! Thanks for your feedback.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2013, 9:19 pm
Addict

Since the tensioner is hydraulically operated by oil pressure created by a running engine I'd like to know how the dealer knows that it is operating at its most extended point?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old May 25th, 2013, 10:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller
Since the tensioner is hydraulically operated by oil pressure created by a running engine I'd like to know how the dealer knows that it is operating at its most extended point?
That's what I was thinking...and change out the works at 36K?? WTF? And repeat every 36? I may be a mile off here, but my belief is that if the guard and new tensioner is installed early in the bikes life, your gold. If you wait for the slop to start, you are chasing the problem.

Real curious about how the stealer determined full extension...?

kbikeinbc
07Kgt
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old May 26th, 2013, 7:11 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbikeinbc
That's what I was thinking...and change out the works at 36K?? WTF? And repeat every 36? I may be a mile off here, but my belief is that if the guard and new tensioner is installed early in the bikes life, your gold. If you wait for the slop to start, you are chasing the problem.

Real curious about how the stealer determined full extension...?

kbikeinbc
07Kgt
from what i understand he know's it because of the failures that have happend (chain jump) then examining the chain and sprocket ,also expeiriance,its also his recommendaition ,as a very knowledgable tech who also ride's a k bike and as i said has been working on my bike's for over a decade plus 450 bucks is alot cheaper than a new motor
he does admit's that bmw wont support thiis claim on paper and probably thinks (bmw) overall that the gaurds are working which they probably are but said if you want total piece of mind and plan on keeping the bike you mite want to consider it ,especially the way i ride (very spirited we'll say)
problem now is i have been eyeing the f800gt so who know's how long i'll be keeping her ..lol

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old May 26th, 2013, 8:07 am
Enthusiast

Get the worn parts replaced if they need it and install the APE tensioner. No more worries about BMW tensioners not doing their job, (even the "upgraded" model has incidents of jumping chains).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Message sent from my Radio Shack TRS-80 using a keyboard and electricity.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old May 26th, 2013, 6:01 pm
IBR# 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by moymurfs
Get the worn parts replaced if they need it and install the APE tensioner. No more worries about BMW tensioners not doing their job.
This.

36K is way too low for this, unless the old tensioner is weak and the chain has been slapping around. If you think the chain is worn/stretched, then replace it and the sprockets. Otherwise, just leave it alone. But add the APE tensioner and jump guard either way.

My '07 went 138K miles on the factory cam chain, sprockets, and tensioner. If I was still riding it, I might preemptively replace the chain/sprockets due to high mileage only.

But it would definitely have the APE tensioner and jump guard installed.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old May 26th, 2013, 8:06 pm

Which brings me back.....the AP set up is not the way I would go. I get that it holds steady tension. But I wonder, how much is enough? Too much? From what I have read its a "set by feel type of adjustment" Maybe I am missing something but if I get the kind of mileage Meese got before a sprocket change out, I will stick to stock rather than roll the dice on a "set by feel" set up...

Kbikeinbc

07kgt
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old May 26th, 2013, 8:50 pm
Addict

^^^^agreed

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode