Helmets - K1200/1300GT specifically - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 2013, 9:14 am Thread Starter

Helmets - K1200/1300GT specifically

My Arai Corsair RX-7 is no longer safe to wear... I have tried on the Arai RX-Q which is supposed to be almost the same shell as the RX-7 and Corsair V but it's too short in the chin.

I've been contemplating a HJC FG-Jet 3/4 helmet but would like to know if anyone rides their K12/13GT next gen with anything other than a full face? How is the air, the noise, your thoughts...

I hate buying new helmets - to much like shoes or a pocketbook IMHO (not that I buy those BTW)

Thanks in advance for your insight...
Jeff

"CAN YOU SEE ME NOW?"
Jeff Guntert - Schenectady, NY
2008 K1200GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 2013, 10:12 am
IBR# 366

I watched my brother get his jaw wired shut so it could heal after a car cut him off while wearing a 3/4 helmet. He was lucky that they were going relatively slow in a residential area, or it would've easily been much worse.

I'll never wear a 3/4 helmet on the street . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 2013, 10:52 am

Helmets

When I crash I prefer to have my Shoei full face helmet on my head, however, when cruising around locally, I wear my Bell Magna 3/4 helmet with retracting shield and sun visor with ear plugs. Much more comfortable for short rides.
EJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 2013, 11:19 am Thread Starter

Meese I hear ya - I've always worn a FF helmet with Arai's being my lid of choice in the past 15 years. We don't have a huge selection locally so I guess its off to Lake George and Americade this week to see if I can get another Arai to fit this melon of mine...

"CAN YOU SEE ME NOW?"
2008 K1200GT
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 2013, 11:48 am
Veteran

Shoei Multitech. Best of both worlds. Full face at speed... flip it up when needed. I've had two and it's the only thing I wear.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 2013, 12:56 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_W
Shoei Multitech. Best of both worlds. Full face at speed... flip it up when needed. I've had two and it's the only thing I wear.
Thanks Robert - the helmet that I had with my first BMW was a System I and while noisy, loved it. I'll look at the Multitech and the new Neotech Shoei today. Found a local place that has them.

I also found a place online closing out the Multitech for $299 vs the Neotech which is $630 locally (gulp).

"CAN YOU SEE ME NOW?"
2008 K1200GT
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 5th, 2013, 10:56 pm
Enthusiast

Jeff, you are correct. It is like buying shoes or that other thing... It's a personal choice that starts with a personal fit. I'm a Schuberth C3 fan, it just plain works for me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Message sent from my Radio Shack TRS-80 using a keyboard and electricity.
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 2013, 10:09 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikonJeff
Thanks Robert - the helmet that I had with my first BMW was a System I and while noisy, loved it. I'll look at the Multitech and the new Neotech Shoei today. Found a local place that has them.

I also found a place online closing out the Multitech for $299 vs the Neotech which is $630 locally (gulp).
I looked at the "Neo" vs "Multi" thing a few months back while I was waiting at A&S for tires. And for the life of me when I had them side by side I could not understand what justified the extra cost. Yeah...they're like twice the price. But it's like so many other bike related things. It's an expensive hobby! The sales dude there tried to sell me on newer, more space age design, internal sun visor which I didn't like, new foam polymer, more aerodynamic, bigger, better, faster...blah blah blah. Next time I'm ready for a new helmet maybe but I've got a lot of trouble free comfortable miles in the current Multitec.

Modular is the way to go though. I don't think I could ever go back to a solid full face.

Check this Neo / Multi comparo out. Covers the differences pretty well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDpbDRSbFYQ

I know a guy with a Schubert modular too who is very happy with it.

You might want to try them on in person though. Fitting things like that online always worries me.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 2013, 10:24 am
Enthusiast

Helmets are like seats Jeff, a very personal buying decision. My Shoei X-11 is getting a bit long in the tooth and I'm considering a Schuberth C3 Pro. It's quiet & comfortable and will be my first modular. Don't Google the price unless you're sitting down.

As far as the actual purchase, save a few $$$ and consider ordering online. I dig Todd at The Helmet Harbor as well as Revzilla for the Schuberth line. Free shipping always gets my attention.

Good luck with your decision!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Jun 6th, 2013, 11:59 am Thread Starter

The Arai Signet Q it is...

I have literally have spent hours looking locally at helmets from Arai, HJC, Schuberth and Shoei. First the selection was pathetic, none of the newer models and *if* I was lucky enough they had both a L and XL in stock (not the color I wanted which is white btw).

I ended up taking the day off of work and rode the K12GT to the Americade in Lake George where "The Service Pavilion" out of PA had a trailer. The salesman (Robert) measured me, and looked at the size and shape of my melon - suggested that I the Signet Q and after a couple of questions, swapped out the helmet from a L to an XL so I had more chin room, swapped the standard cheek pads and liner for a 12mm cheek pad and 12mm liner...

Let's just say it fits nicely. They didn't have a white one in stock so I paid him for the helmet ($620-10% = $558) which INCLUDES the proper components to fit me. Will be shipped in 5 business days from their PA warehouse.

I appreciate all the feedback!
Jeff

"CAN YOU SEE ME NOW?"
2008 K1200GT

Last edited by NikonJeff; Jun 6th, 2013 at 1:00 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode