After seeing the above links I tried it myself, first on a used front sensor as practice that was
replaced in Denver in Sep 2011 when the bike had 16,700 miles on it. Then on the rear
sensor that was becoming bad now with 34,000 miles. I needed to change the rear tire so it
was a good time to try this out.
Getting the battery out isn't difficult as shown in the youtube, just be careful while you are
prying away the rubber like coating. The battery is roughly in the center of the area about
1/16" of inch down. I carefully lifted the old battery out and pried away the tabs that are
spot welded to the old battery. The bottom tab will get bent upward a bit but that is ok since
it will assist with making a good contact to the new battery. I used these batteries with
tabs already spot welded on:
I bent the bottom battery tab down a little and put in so the existing tab from the sensor
would push against the tab from the bottom of the new battery. Next I quick soldered the
two top tabs together.
I found that the bottom tabs were pushing the battery up from it intended location so I
dabbed a bit of JB Quik Weld to the high side of the battery and to the case and held it in
place until the glue setup.
Next I layered the area with a hot glue gun to seal it up and let it set up for a couple hours
before putting the sensor back on the rear wheel. So mounted up the new tire and took it
for a spin. It works! So far I only have about twenty miles on it but am heading out to
Dawson City soon and will have 1500 miles on it by the time get home. I'll post again if it
Hopefully I've managed to attach two pics showing the finished project.
This is definitely do-able and worth trying to avoid $100+ for a new sensor and dealer labor.