Neutered K1300GT -clutch slipping! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 20th, 2013, 10:45 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Neutered K1300GT -clutch slipping!

I have a 2010 K1300GT that I purchased in June 2013 (with 11k on clock).

Shortly after purchasing it I did a quick oil/filter change (I'm anal I know) and put in Motul 300v 5w-40 oil after a good hard run.

I then did a 1,500 mile tour of Scotland with no problems

However in the last couple of days I have started experiencing severe clutch slip - most noticeable under hard acceleration in second or third gear. It's so severe in fact that it's like half the power has gone; the bike is neutered! Lots of revs and no go!

My question is, is this likely to be the Motul 300v (which I used in my K12000GT without issue) and as the 'champagne of oils' is certainly fine for a wet clutch or, is my clutch failing?

It seems odd that, if it is the oil, that I did not have any problem during my 1,500 'spirited' miles around the highlands

Does it take time for an oil to fark-up a wet clutch or is it just coincidence?

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 2013, 11:46 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Update . . . .

Unfortunately the problem with my clutch rapidly became so severe I had no choice but to drop my bike in with my nearby dealer - not the one who sold it to me.

Verdict . . . . the clutch is cooked i.e worn out.

As it's 'wear and tear' I'm not covered by the BMW warranty so I'm looking at £550+ for the repairs.

I spoke with the dealer who sold me the bike and they are reluctant to do anything, saying they would have liked to have seen it for themselves. Given the state of the clutch that riding it to them was not an option.

So, now I'm waiting to hear if BMW 'Goodwill' (the dealer who has the bike is speaking with them) can do anything to soften the blow. I'm not holding out much hope however.

Sheesh! £11k on a warrantied bike and it needs repairing within 6 weeks; definitely looking at a Honda next time.

Oh, and my final drive is leaking too!

J
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 27th, 2013, 5:38 pm
Addict

sorry for your issue's but dont blame the brand,you bought a 3 year old bike with 11k!!! blame the previous owner...prolly did'nt know how to ride it..

i've spent most my money on bike's boat's and broad's the rest i've wasted..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2013, 2:56 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

So, picked the bike up this evening . . . . £600 bill and no dice from BMW 'Goodwill'.

Unimpressed . .
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2013, 11:08 pm
Enthusiast

I'm inclined to agree with Mike....11k for a clutch The previous owner would almost hafta be holding it while under way..................OR........ be a commuter in the Northern Virginia / DC area

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Message sent from my Radio Shack TRS-80 using a keyboard and electricity.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 2013, 8:26 pm
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougunn
Update . . . .

Unfortunately the problem with my clutch rapidly became so severe I had no choice but to drop my bike in with my nearby dealer - not the one who sold it to me.

Verdict . . . . the clutch is cooked i.e worn out.

As it's 'wear and tear' I'm not covered by the BMW warranty so I'm looking at £550+ for the repairs.

I spoke with the dealer who sold me the bike and they are reluctant to do anything, saying they would have liked to have seen it for themselves. Given the state of the clutch that riding it to them was not an option.

So, now I'm waiting to hear if BMW 'Goodwill' (the dealer who has the bike is speaking with them) can do anything to soften the blow. I'm not holding out much hope however.

Sheesh! £11k on a warrantied bike and it needs repairing within 6 weeks; definitely looking at a Honda next time.

Oh, and my final drive is leaking too!

J
Check your play on your final drive. If you can wiggle the rear wheel on the center stand, your drive is cooked too. May as well check it. My seal was leaking and I rode it home from a 600 mile trip from Virginia and fried the large bearing in the drive. Great bikes but BMW needed to step up the game on a lot of components for the HP this bike delivers. Clutch, trans, final drive....
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 2013, 3:08 pm
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougunn
That's nothing. I bought a brand spanking new Chevy Trailblazer SS in 2007 (still driving it ) with 12 miles on it and the damn gears in the rear end started failing within 200 miles. I'll bet they didn't put the limited slip additive in the gear oil from the factory. Gears started eating themselves immediately. That vehicle cost me $32K and it basically broke a month later.

It can happen with anything. I have a laundry list of high-dollar purchases that failed well before their intended life expectancy.

Hang in there buddy. Bad luck happens to us all in various forms.

2007 K1200GT
Dark Graphite Metallic
Bought it with 2,055 miles on the clock - June 2013
Rode 1,100+ miles to get it home
Current miles: 10,350+
Xenon, Remus Hexacone slip-on
BMW small top box (that now likes to fly away on it's own) with pad for the lady

Other Toys
1987 Buick Grand National
2007 Trailblazer SS
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Sep 1st, 2013, 6:20 pm
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by moymurfs
I'm inclined to agree with Mike....11k for a clutch The previous owner would almost hafta be holding it while under way..................OR........ be a commuter in the Northern Virginia / DC area
Geeze - I hope that's not the case - I commute in Northern VA!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode