my bike is lifting the front end in first and second-what's wrong??? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 2013, 5:41 pm Thread Starter
Noob

my bike is lifting the front end in first and second-what's wrong???

seriously though...I installed the little temp sensor doo-dad (crap, what's the name of THAT thing again). took a couple of weeks before I REALLY noticed the difference. I get on the throttle and it the tail lets loose. I let loose at a stop light and have to be going straight because it lifts the front end in first and second.

This did not happen before the installation and the tire has a good tread (haven't checked tire pressure though). The only other differences are the a new wind screen was installed and the bike was painted.

Oh yea-I have a Topcase that was installed at the same time. Never had this insane acceleration with the old topcase though.

This bike is crazy powerful now-think I should trade it in on an older Honda 350
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 22nd, 2013, 7:39 pm
Rookie

Wow...this one is rich with possibilities.

How long have you had the K1300GT?

So the temperature thingy, was it the thermostat for the radiator? Was it always broken and was the motor protecting it self by cutting the power it should have always had?

You mentioned that you have a new top case, has it been loaded up with lead, or hopefully gold ? Too much weight back there could affect the balance a bit?

I can confirm that the K1300GT is an impressively powerful motorcycle. In my humble opinion, it is the best reason to buy one of them. Growing up riding 2 strokes and loving the power band they offer. I sometimes get frustrated by the ESA system that cuts power when I am "getting on it" and the front tire ever so slightly is hovering above the ground and thus is not accelerating as fast as the rear tire delivering the power to the road. Any chance the ESA was not working properly before?

Eric S.
2009 K1300GT - Red
1986 Harley Davidson FXRT - Sold
1982 Yamaha Seca 650 Turbo - Sold
1982 Yamaha XT 200 - Traded in
1980 Yamaha IT 125 - Traded in
1975 Honda XR 75 - Traded in
Honda Z50 - Traded in
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 2013, 12:47 am
Enthusiast

Booster Plug ?

Tim
------------------

2011 K1300GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 2013, 11:27 pm

My money is on a non functioning throttle stepper - the one that prevents full throttle at low speed.

06 K12GT DGM - Bavarian 'Bahn Burner
08 X6 Sapphire Black - The Batmobile
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 23rd, 2013, 11:59 pm
Enthusiast

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Message sent from my Radio Shack TRS-80 using a keyboard and electricity.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 2013, 10:57 am

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricS
Wow...this one is rich with possibilities.

How long have you had the K1300GT?

So the temperature thingy, was it the thermostat for the radiator? Was it always broken and was the motor protecting it self by cutting the power it should have always had?

You mentioned that you have a new top case, has it been loaded up with lead, or hopefully gold ? Too much weight back there could affect the balance a bit?

I can confirm that the K1300GT is an impressively powerful motorcycle. In my humble opinion, it is the best reason to buy one of them. Growing up riding 2 strokes and loving the power band they offer. I sometimes get frustrated by the ESA system that cuts power when I am "getting on it" and the front tire ever so slightly is hovering above the ground and thus is not accelerating as fast as the rear tire delivering the power to the road. Any chance the ESA was not working properly before?
ESA doesn't cut power, it's merely a system for electronically altering the damping and preload of the suspension.

ASC (Automatic Stability Control ... or anti sillyness control) will cut the power if it detects differences in the wheel speed of either wheel. Not sure about the 13's but my 12 has a huge button marked ASC that if I press it flags a yellow warning light on the dash to advise ASC is deactivated and will then allow, wheelies/laying darkies etc.

I have one road near thats has some regular rises and dips and with asc off, whacking the throttle in third on the rises makes the K pop her nose up nicely as it crests .... I should grow up I guess
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 2013, 12:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by slparry
ASC (Automatic Stability Control ... or anti sillyness control) will cut the power if it detects differences in the wheel speed of either wheel. Not sure about the 13's but my 12 has a huge button marked ASC that if I press it flags a yellow warning light on the dash to advise ASC is deactivated and will then allow, wheelies/laying darkies etc.

I have one road near thats has some regular rises and dips and with asc off, whacking the throttle in third on the rises makes the K pop her nose up nicely as it crests .... I should grow up I guess
I'm escared to turn off ASC.

Dave
2008 K1200GT
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 24th, 2013, 6:53 pm
Rookie

Splarry, thanks for correcting my reference to ESA, you are right that I should have indicted ASC. Yes, on the K1300GT, ASC can be disabled and you get a yellow warning light on the dash.

Flowbee...you are wise.

Eric S.
2009 K1300GT - Red
1986 Harley Davidson FXRT - Sold
1982 Yamaha Seca 650 Turbo - Sold
1982 Yamaha XT 200 - Traded in
1980 Yamaha IT 125 - Traded in
1975 Honda XR 75 - Traded in
Honda Z50 - Traded in
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2013, 7:59 pm
Enthusiast

Garage
Hmm, I do not understand why it's a problem.

I thought you were supposed to shim out the throttle stop solenoid, to be able to cause that phenomena, or be lucky and have a bad throttle stop solenoid.

It helps improve front tire wear.

what was the problem again??

'07 K1200GT Crystal Gray Metalic
'00 Ducati 900 Monster
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2013, 8:53 pm
Enthusiast

Man, I have my bike all apart...it would be the optimal time to do this mod... Has anyone done this mod and installed a booster plug also?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Message sent from my Radio Shack TRS-80 using a keyboard and electricity.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode