Ssdd - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 2013, 2:59 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Ssdd

Well, I pulled the gas tank today in order to start replacing the crapped out fuel strip I also wanted to try a theory about refitting with a 13gt float system..more later.. As I inspected the exterior of the pump assembly I noticed the small cracks around the quick connect bung that others have mentioned on occasion. It's pretty obvious that the QC was threaded in too tight and if it didn't crack the base immediately when it was put in by BMW, it probably happened very shortly thereafter. The cracks are all around it vs only in one spot. The bike only has 13k miles on it. I took some pictures with the wife's camera but of course now I can't find the cable to load them At any rate, I am doing the JB Weld job on the bung to give it serious support and possibly avoid a $500 Bill for a new pump assembly later and a flaming meteor-bike if let loose on the engine/exhaust below . I have also pulled the ABS unit for its surgery
As for thinking you can possibly refit the strip with a float system the answer is NO I had come across a 13gt float system/filler neck as well as a 13gt gas cap assembly (these are the only differences MECHANICALLY between the bikes related to this). Yes, the 13gts' fuel cap must be used with its filler neck/float. The 13 has 2 wires and the 12 has 4. The connector is the same inside of the tank. I jumped 2 the wires in all possible combinations with no change at all on the panel. It still flashes the error...I haven't tried to clear the error then do it so maybe I'll try that with my gs911 if I get ambitious.
Oh yea, I called my local BMW and asked if there were any TSBs etc for the cracks or the strip...I already knew what he was going to say..... He did admit to seeing the cracks on other bikes but said they just replace the units (at the owners expense of course). He said the Ethanol is what is wrecking havoc on the strips....but, no, BMW wasn't doing anything about them either....SSDD

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Message sent from my Radio Shack TRS-80 using a keyboard and electricity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 25th, 2013, 5:21 pm
IBR# 366

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

Beemer Boneyard sells a R1200/ K1200/1300 Fuel Pump Flange Repair Clamp that helps with this problem.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2013, 8:29 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Tks for the link. I had already put 1 coat of weld on it. Today I put the second layer on it so it should be more than good to go. I fished out the fuel strip and ordered another from a dealer...(not my local dealer who quoted me a $30 higher price Visually, I can't see any breaks in the copper but I think the problem may lie where the 4 wires are attached and set in a glue mold at the top. The glue seemed a little crunchy in places. I suspect fuel/ethanol gets in where the wires go in....(just a suspicion). Also sent off the ABS module so that problem will be behind me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Message sent from my Radio Shack TRS-80 using a keyboard and electricity.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 2013, 6:38 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

UPDATE.
I got the ABS unit back from MM in lightning fast time (almost unheard of in this day and age). But first is the fuel strip. I calibrated it using my GS911. Very easy, it gives you a bar to show progress. It does take about 10-15 minutes, strip must be absolutely dry. All connections have to be made (except the bike to fuel pump), and the key turned on. This is without the tank.
After that's done getting the strip to sit correctly in the tank is a bit tricky. The small hose on the filler neck keeps wanting to get in the way and knock the strip out of the molded "pocket" at the bottom side of the tank. With finesse and time it was reassembled and the pump reinstalled. Prior to reinstalling the tank I have some wires that need tidying up and a fuse block to install..then the ABS..

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 2013, 7:50 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by moymurfs
It's pretty obvious that the QC was threaded in too tight ...
Maybe, but this problem is extremely common even on bikes that haven't had their fuel system touched, in fact so common that the NHTSA is formally investigating the problem for a forced recall due to the danger presented by leaking fuel. As usual BMW knows very well about the issue (in fact the part has been mysteriously upgraded with a metal ring around the boss) but has said/done nothing for owners.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 2013, 9:07 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

I totally agree. That's my point. Mine had not been touched and it was cracked. The boss is too thin and the QD is threaded in too tight. I personally will fix something, myself, now, rather than wait for some giant corporation to admit they did something in error....$$$$ Although most of us would think (myself included) Hey, they made a dangerous mistake...they should accept the responsibility and simply make arrangements to fix it with the least impact to the consumer... That just ain't gonna happen...at least not until multiple deaths occur, I'm not holding my breath nor worrying about it.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 2013, 6:02 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Update....Although I hope no one has to go through this, if you do here are a couple of items that my failures may make it easier for you....

Here's what happened to me (most of which I claim as my own fault). After getting my bike completely back together, I fill it with 5 gallons of premium, fire it up, it's running great,....what the hell is that puddle forming under the bike?!?! Well of course, its gas. The fuel gauge still reads empty and the Yellow triangle is still on . I am now pretty sure I hold the quickest time world record for stripping all the plastic off a KGT and pulling the tank ...in the dark....while gas is running out. Yes, fumes keep mosquitos away
After the tank was out it was quickly apparent that I had not gotten the pump flange seal correctly seated. It's not a seal that simply fits between the tank and the pump. 1/3 of it sits inside the tank, 1/3 of it presses against the side of the pump as it slides into the tank and 1/3 of it seals the exterior of the tank and exterior pump flange. Sliding the pump in tends to pull the seal with it...(use spray silicone).
Don't fill the tank up..put about a gallon or 2.
Don't put all the plastic back on until you have tested your work
The fuel gauge would not reset until I went up to the gas station and filled it completely up even after putting more fuel from the can in it for a shakedown flight. Don't know why...but I was cussing until I pulled out of the gas station

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode