Miles-to-go... any way to improve accuracy or lower variability? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 26th, 2013, 1:43 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Miles-to-go... any way to improve accuracy or lower variability?

Hi there

The miles-to-go indicator is way off as we all know. I did 70kms out and back from home commuting today, started at 500km (usual when I fill up), finished at 513 or some such. It is even worse when the tank gets low. I have had it drop 10-15 km over 1 km of riding. Upon filling (usually reads about 500km), I have had exactly the same trip under more-or-less the same conditions, show 430 one time and 530 another at the end of the ride to work. Note: overall, it does more-or-less the same total miles-per-tank every time on the daily commute.

I am a guy that loves to run the tank low, and I make the effort to fill right up... I hate having to stop to get gas... on the old LT I saw the '---' come up many, many times. Now that was very satisfying.

I do very much understand that it takes current readings from various locations to arrive at its basic calc of the amount of fuel * mileage_per_litre. I assume the root cause of the problem is that the averages that the bike computer generates are calculated over too short a timespan or distance travelled span. Is there some adjustment that allows the average to be calculated by a longer sampling period/distance? This might then help get a more realistic, less 'hyper' miles-to-go reading.

TIA.

Ralph

Located: Auckland, New Zealand...
but I left my biking heart along the Scenic Byways of America.....

"Come fill the cup that clears
Today of past regrets and future fears." ....Omar Khayyam

Last edited by longwayfromhome; Jul 26th, 2013 at 1:48 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 28th, 2013, 8:22 pm
Enthusiast

Garage
It is an ECU firmware calculation - aka - not correctable/tweakable.

I just ignore it, (have about 36,000 miles (60,000 K) on the GT and my riding style is fairly consistent) so at about 240 miles (400 K) the low fuel light comes on and I start looking for fuel. If I fill up within 20 miles it take a little over 5 US gallons
so there is usually about a gallon (3.7L) left in the tank.

I ran a previous fuel injected bike bone dry and the result was a burned up fuel pump.

All the cowards, I ride with think you have to get gas every 150 miles (everyone of their tanks hold over 5 1/2 gals and they all get mid 40's mpg) I always fill up after one of the premium users, on the single hose pumps.

'07 K1200GT Crystal Gray Metalic
'00 Ducati 900 Monster
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Jul 29th, 2013, 4:12 pm

I don't know why the Miles-to-go isn't more accurate, but I don't think you can do much about it. On the other hand, the MPG feature is reasonably accurate and, more importantly, quite consistent between tank-fulls. Using that along with your reserve light (if yours still works), and you can estimate your miles remaining at reserve to within a couple miles. I've details at "Accuracy of the BC mpg."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 1st, 2013, 11:50 pm
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by emzed
I don't know why the Miles-to-go isn't more accurate, but I don't think you can do much about it. On the other hand, the MPG feature is reasonably accurate and, more importantly, quite consistent between tank-fulls. Using that along with your reserve light (if yours still works), and you can estimate your miles remaining at reserve to within a couple miles. I've details at "Accuracy of the BC mpg."
My MPG isn't any more accurate than the Miles-to-go. Interesting how for some it is, and for others it is not.

12/2006 Build K1200GT
Tesla > Edison
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 2nd, 2013, 4:14 pm
Addict

My MPG meter isn't accurate in an absolute sense because it always reads about 2 mpg high, but the error always seems to be about the same so it's still useful once I make the mental correction.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 2013, 1:01 am

Miles Estimate

About the only value in the "miles to go" function is to coordinate it with the "low fuel" idiot light. When the light comes on I know there is about 1.3 gallons left available. Take note of the MTG reading and figure and estimate 40 to 60 miles before running dry. After 25K on an 07 GT and now 48K on my 08GT this has run true. Add this number to the odometer and you will know when the bike will park itself, usually at the most inopportune spot.
Good luck and ride safe.
EJ
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 2013, 1:25 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by erniejen
About the only value in the "miles to go" function is to coordinate it with the "low fuel" idiot light. When the light comes on I know there is about 1.3 gallons left available. Take note of the MTG reading and figure and estimate 40 to 60 miles before running dry. After 25K on an 07 GT and now 48K on my 08GT this has run true. Add this number to the odometer and you will know when the bike will park itself, usually at the most inopportune spot.
Good luck and ride safe.
EJ
Is the GT like some bikes where you (/dealer) can set the level when the light comes on? Or is that 1.3 gallons fixed?

TIA.

Ralph

Located: Auckland, New Zealand...
but I left my biking heart along the Scenic Byways of America.....

"Come fill the cup that clears
Today of past regrets and future fears." ....Omar Khayyam
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 3rd, 2013, 12:09 pm
IBR# 366

You can have the dealer set the level at which the low fuel light comes on.

You bring it in with the amount of fuel you want the light to come on at in the tank, and they set the light trip point to the "current" fuel level using their computer.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Aug 4th, 2013, 1:14 pm

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese
You can have the dealer set the level at which the low fuel light comes on.

You bring it in with the amount of fuel you want the light to come on at in the tank, and they set the light trip point to the "current" fuel level using their computer.
I wonder if it uses the same method as the earlier bikes?]

http://www.hexcode.co.za/techinfo/ta...n-ma2.4-models

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode