Need help on a possible purchase - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 12th, 2013, 10:34 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Need help on a possible purchase

Hello, I am considering purchasing a 2008 K1200GT and need some advice.
I have owned many bikes of different manufacturers, mostly Japanese but have never owned anything German so I am not familiar with the hardware. After a test ride I REALLY like this bike but there are a couple of things I need advice on. When first taking off from a start I hear two clunks. Nothing really loud or alarming but it does seem pretty consistent and nothing I have ever heard from my Japanese bikes. It is an audible sound only and you can't feel anything mechanically that seems wrong. Never hear it again after leaving first gear. The owner indicated this was clutch chudder and just normal BMW stuff, nothing to be alarmed about. This bike also has the ABS alarm indication (Break Failure) warning light on and the owner said he just rides without ABS and ignores this. It looks like this could be a significant cost item to repair and it appears that a lot of these bike suffer from this problem. Is there any easy way to determine if this is a serious fault and can this bike be safely ridden without relying on the ABS but assume the brakes will work properly otherwise?
It has 13,500 miles on it and is indicating the need for service is due soon. What items are due for service at the next interval, I believe he said that was at 15000 miles and is this a costly trip to the dealer? He is asking $10,500 so while this seems like a fair price to me, it may not be if the service interval and brake issues will be costly to repair. I am open to any input or advice here. Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2013, 12:09 am
Enthusiast

As for the ABS issue, you can safely ride without ABS if you want. I did for many miles until I got mine fixed. To get it fixed you have 3 options;

1 take it to a BMW dealer and let them install a new one for a crapload of money (BMW does not consider the module to be a serviceable part. They will charge you for a new one to the tune of $1600 and then charge to install it.)

2 disconnect the ABS module yourself and send it to Module Master who will fix the issue, give you a guarantee and ship it back fast, all for $285. When you get it back you will need to reinstall it and bleed the brakes but that's it.

3 attempt to fix it yourself if you are mechanically inclined (and want to) for free. Do a search and you will find the process.

The clutch issue (if that is in fact the sound) sounds like it could be normal IF there is no slipping anywhere. I wouldn't worry about it if pulls fine throughout the band with no other noise or felt bumps.

ANY trip to the BMW dealer is a costly trip to the dealer. It sounds like you have intentions of taking the bike to the dealer. Which is fine if that's what you want to do. Be forewarned it will be pricey
Many people here, myself included, do their own wrenching and save a lot of $$$. But saving the money is only part of it. After you do the work, you know exactly what's "in" the bike.

They do have their known issues but they are great bikes.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Message sent from my Radio Shack TRS-80 using a keyboard and electricity.

Last edited by moymurfs; Aug 14th, 2013 at 10:17 am.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 14th, 2013, 1:30 pm
Rookie

You have some negotiating leverage on that bike given that the ABS is in failure. That's a $2,000 repair if you want it fixed by a certified dealer.

Work him on the price now that you know how much it would cost to repair, and then do the repair yourself and save the $$$.

2007 K1200GT
Dark Graphite Metallic
Bought it with 2,055 miles on the clock - June 2013
Rode 1,100+ miles to get it home
Current miles: 10,350+
Xenon, Remus Hexacone slip-on
BMW small top box (that now likes to fly away on it's own) with pad for the lady

Other Toys
1987 Buick Grand National
2007 Trailblazer SS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 2013, 7:49 am
Noob

Not sure about the US, but in the UK the 18k mile service is the big one and costs nearly 500. The 12k is about 250ish. If it hasn't got a dealer warranty, do the service yourself.

The clunk could be the slop in the shaft drive/hub being taken up. They all do that and it takes a bit of getting use to if you've only had bikes with chains.

If it is the clutch, don't worry, they all do that too.

Steve.
------
Kawasaki BN125 - Died
Honda CR125 - Sold
KTM 200EXC - Sold
Honda XL125 Varadero - PX
Honda CB500 - Died
Suzuki Gladius - PX
BMW R1200S - PX
MZ ETZ250 - Sold
Bmw R1150RT - PX
BMW K1200GT SE
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 2013, 9:27 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thataintworkin
After a test ride I REALLY like this bike
heh heh. Yeah.

$10,500 might be a fair price for a low-miles 2008 GT in perfect working order, but he's going to have to knock a fair amount off if he wants to sell it with a failed ABS unit. Ditto the clutch noise, a light rattling sound at idle in neutral from the clutch/transmission is normal, but I'm not sure what the two clunks mean. They may or may not be serious but they are not normal. Plus as mentioned you have an expensive service coming up (if you have a dealer do it.)

A lot depends on your mechanical abilities and desire to DIY. If the most common fault is causing the ABS issue then it can be fixed inexpensively by an owner with some skills (BMW's only answer will be $2,000+, or no ABS for you.) Same with the major service, can be done by a reasonably skilled home mechanic in a day but expect to pay BMW at least $800 to do it for you. These bikes are incredible performers but you have to pay to play, in either dollars or your own time.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 20th, 2013, 9:46 pm

Gs911

The Brake Failure light might also mean the speed sensor at the front wheel is not communicating. Replacing it is significantly less $$ than the ABS module.
It can be damaged if you are not careful when changing the front tire. (I have only myself to blame for this one.)
Mine went bad and a quick read with the GS911 told the story. The GS911 is a very useful tool and many of us have it. Even if I have the dealer do the repair its nice to know what needs to be done.

Does the owner know what the Brake error is pointing to?

2016 R1200 GSA, 2007 K1200 GT, 1981 CBX, 1975 Norton, 1968 Moto Guzzi
The Banks Tour - Fair to Outer
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 21st, 2013, 9:58 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks for all of your responses. I decided to take my chances and purchase this bike after some negotiating. I can do some wrenching myself and actually enjoy learning about the machines that I ride.

So far I've been riding it and ignoring these issues just to get used to it and have a little fun.

What I have learned so far from researching is that I may need to purchase this GS911 device. Also, the term I used for the clutch problem is incorrect. What I referred to as a clunk is really more of a squeal. I was able to find some limited info on this but nothing I perceived as absolute in terms of the problem or the resolution. Still looking though. I also now have a brake howl from the front that did not show up during my two test rides. Sound like a drum brake noise and does this almost always. The pads look good both front and rear so not sure what's up with this? Any ideas, I'm listening?

Thanks for the input, greatly appreciated.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 2013, 11:53 pm
Addict

The clutch squel, sometimes accompanied by a shudder when pulling away has been well discussed on this site. You can ride the bike with this noise for years without harm, just noise. A few have had early clutch wear, not me. Some may just have abused theirs. There USA company called module masters who may fix your ABS for "only" $250-500 instead of BMW's $1200-2000....

Enjoy your great new machine.

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode