help with ebc pads need to check codes - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2013, 9:37 am Thread Starter
Noob

help with ebc pads need to check codes

Need to double check that these ebc pads will work on my 2006 k1200gt the code for the ones im ordering are FA335HH if anyone has them fitted or knows cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2013, 1:20 pm
IBR# 366

Yes, the FA335HH will fit on both front calipers, but they don't have the cutout for the brake pad wear sensor.

Since new wear sensor wires are not available from anyone except BMW (when you buy the full-priced factory brake pads), most of us simply disable the wear sensor by shorting the wire up at the first plug. See this thread for details and pics.

So a full set of brake pads would be:

One pair of Rear Pads, FA438HH

Two pairs of Front (Left) Pads, FA335HH (can be used on both front calipers)

I find that Powersport Superstore usually has them on sale for under $30 a pair. Fast shipping, too.

FA438HH Rear
FA335HH Front

In a pinch you could use Two pairs of Front (Right) Pads, FA441HH (with wear sensor cutout)

FA441HH Front

Note that the only difference between the FA441HH front right pads and the FA335HH front left pads is that the FA441HH pads have a cutout to fit the sensor wire. So if you don't care about the brake pad warning light, those two part numbers are interchangeable. I imagine there's a non-sensor-cutout version of the FA438HH rear pads as well, but I never bothered to chase it down.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Aug 13th, 2013, 2:24 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Talking

Thanks for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 8th, 2014, 10:32 pm
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese
Yes, the FA335HH will fit on both front calipers, but they don't have the cutout for the brake pad wear sensor.

Since new wear sensor wires are not available from anyone except BMW (when you buy the full-priced factory brake pads), most of us simply disable the wear sensor by shorting the wire up at the first plug. See this thread for details and pics.

So a full set of brake pads would be:

One pair of Rear Pads, FA438HH

Two pairs of Front (Left) Pads, FA335HH (can be used on both front calipers)

I find that Powersport Superstore usually has them on sale for under $30 a pair. Fast shipping, too.

FA438HH Rear
FA335HH Front

In a pinch you could use Two pairs of Front (Right) Pads, FA441HH (with wear sensor cutout)

FA441HH Front

Note that the only difference between the FA441HH front right pads and the FA335HH front left pads is that the FA441HH pads have a cutout to fit the sensor wire. So if you don't care about the brake pad warning light, those two part numbers are interchangeable. I imagine there's a non-sensor-cutout version of the FA438HH rear pads as well, but I never bothered to chase it down.
I am replacing my pads, front and rear. Got the EBC pads mentioned above. My sensors were in good shape, so I just transferred the sensor to the EBC pads. The question is - does one transfer the sheet metal backing plate from the factory original pads to the EBC pads, or is that not necessary or even detrimental? In my experience with car brake pads, this thin backing plate gets put on the new pads. However this backing plate is bonded to the pads and must be pried off and straightened out prior to putting them on the new pads. Since it's not bonded to the new pad and isn't absolutely flat, the new pads seem to drag a lot. I'm thinking too much maybe. What's the thinking here?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 9th, 2014, 12:44 pm
IBR# 366

I just put the EBC pads in straight, without any sort of backing plate.

Never had any issues.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Jul 10th, 2014, 10:55 am
Noob

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese
I just put the EBC pads in straight, without any sort of backing plate.

Never had any issues.
Thanks for the reply! Since I never saw any mention in any thread of transferring them to the new pads, I figured that it wasn't needed. So I took the new pads out and removed the backing plate last night. Thanks for confirming that was the right thing to do. Now for the test ride this morning - new pads and new Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT's!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode