Some questions from a new K owner - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 2013, 12:07 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Some questions from a new K owner

Hello,

This is my first post so be kind! I just did a 600 mile fly and drive on a new-to--me 2008 K1200GT. I also own a 2011 GS and have owned a late model RT so I am familiar with Beemers and our special lingo.

Bike has 14,000 miles on it and is in flawless mechanical condition. The long ride gave me a chance to do a shakedown / ergo's assessment which lead to my questions. What a great machine!

Here goes:

1. I have both the stock seat (heated) and a Sargent seat (unheated). I rode the Sargent in the raised and lowered positions home and it was a killer for me. Has anyone tried a RDL on this bike and what's the trade-off in height, leaning, etc., if I were to switch the seat out for a RDL?

2. The windshield (both stock and the OEM tinted in the same size) do not sufficiently reduce head buffeting at even the highest setting. I am only 5' 10" so it's not my height. What windshields or additions to the stock screens have you had success with? Keep in mind, I like to look over the windshield when riding and on hot days do like the air when the screen is in the lower position.

3. The riding position is a bit cramped for my long (32") inseam. I am curious about the lowering pegs and wonder if I would lose serious lean angle by going that route. I did drag both sides on ramps (it was fun) and I do live in western NC so I will be riding lots of twisties. What do you recommend?

4. The bike comes with a Garmin 550 on a mount just above the tank. I have a 660 I will be using on all the bikes and need a mount for that unit. I would like to place it above the speedo / tach. and also be able to mount and power my phone right along side. What products (mounting bars?) would you recommend for this situation?

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 2013, 12:54 pm
Enthusiast

Congrats! on the purchase and the shakedown cruise.
I run a RDL and it will add a little height. I had a Mayer but it didn't have the cushion nor support I was looking. I wish there was a way to jack up the front of the seat (Like I could on the 1150gs) but it's ok. If I want long distance comfort I run the seat in the high position.

If I hit the twisties I like the lower position. I also run the peg lowering kit http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/mot...6/8162515.html
yes, you may scrape them a little more but I think they are worth it for comfort.

As for the windshield, I have the shorter stock screen for summer and even in its lowest position I cannot get perfectly clean air at my helmet. If I raise off the saddle about 8 inches I can get the smooth air and everything is very quiet. In the winter I run a Cee Bailey's tall screen (that I can look over when low or through when raised) Looking through it is quiet. I'm 6'

For gps mounting I run this
http://www.bmrproducts.com/proddetai...=010_CPK1300GT
But it won't work with the Aeroflow windshield system that a few guys really like.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Message sent from my Radio Shack TRS-80 using a keyboard and electricity.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 15th, 2013, 7:48 pm

Smile

welcome Doc,

I can only reply to a few

I invested in the RDL last fall, my oh my, why didn't I do it sooner?
I also have a corbin setup with a smuggler that I can also run, when I'm doing short miles and can stand to sit on an oak stump.

I run the stock windshield most of the time, I'm 6'1", but short torso'd. Partially raised it gives me the best visbility and coverage. When I have a pillion I switch out to the Cee Baily +2+4 because it helps the wife a lot, but I don't care to ride with the barn door on the front all the time.

My bike came with the mount for a 550, which I changed out with the 660, and run it right on the bars. It works for me, but I can understand the appeal of a shelf.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 2013, 10:45 am
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSteve
The bike comes with a Garmin 550 on a mount just above the tank.
Sorry to steal the thread temporarily, but.....are you interested in selling your 550?

2007 K1200GT
Dark Graphite Metallic
Bought it with 2,055 miles on the clock - June 2013
Rode 1,100+ miles to get it home
Current miles: 10,350+
Xenon, Remus Hexacone slip-on
BMW small top box (that now likes to fly away on it's own) with pad for the lady

Other Toys
1987 Buick Grand National
2007 Trailblazer SS
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Aug 16th, 2013, 11:24 am

I have a 2008 K12GT and will address what I've done to mine based on my 5'9" height (alas 27" inseam though).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSteve
Hello,

This is my first post so be kind! I just did a 600 mile fly and drive on a new-to--me 2008 K1200GT. I also own a 2011 GS and have owned a late model RT so I am familiar with Beemers and our special lingo.

Bike has 14,000 miles on it and is in flawless mechanical condition. The long ride gave me a chance to do a shakedown / ergo's assessment which lead to my questions. What a great machine!

Here goes:

1. I have both the stock seat (heated) and a Sargent seat (unheated). I rode the Sargent in the raised and lowered positions home and it was a killer for me. Has anyone tried a RDL on this bike and what's the trade-off in height, leaning, etc., if I were to switch the seat out for a RDL?

I use the stock low seat due to my inseam so I can't help you on this one. I have driven 10 days and 2800 miles on the stock seat at one clip and it has been comfortable.

2. The windshield (both stock and the OEM tinted in the same size) do not sufficiently reduce head buffeting at even the highest setting. I am only 5' 10" so it's not my height. What windshields or additions to the stock screens have you had success with? Keep in mind, I like to look over the windshield when riding and on hot days do like the air when the screen is in the lower position.

Initially I had the BMW "Tall" shield installed and experienced the same issues you mentioned. This spring I installed a Cee Bailey's screen that was a couple inches taller and what a big difference it makes. I honestly was impressed with the envelope it creates and reduction of buffeting at the helmet - definitely worth looking into. Others will chime in on what they have like AeroFlow or others but for the money I'm very happy with the CB.

3. The riding position is a bit cramped for my long (32") inseam. I am curious about the lowering pegs and wonder if I would lose serious lean angle by going that route. I did drag both sides on ramps (it was fun) and I do live in western NC so I will be riding lots of twisties. What do you recommend?

I purchased a peg lowering kit to try out but it didn't really do anything for me - there will be others to chime in.

4. The bike comes with a Garmin 550 on a mount just above the tank. I have a 660 I will be using on all the bikes and need a mount for that unit. I would like to place it above the speedo / tach. and also be able to mount and power my phone right along side. What products (mounting bars?) would you recommend for this situation?

Installed the BMW GPS mount that goes under the handlebars for my first year riding (Nuvi 1490) and it worked well but I didn't like taking my eyes off the horizon that long. Late last year I purchased the GPS mounting system from Wunderlich which is really easy to install, adds a Powerlet on your dashboard and puts the GPS in your heads up visual range - LOVE IT! Works great, is stable and doesn't get in the way of tank bags or the instrument cluster.

http://www.wunderlichamerica.com/motorcycle/K1200GT06/8600886.html

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Steve

"CAN YOU SEE ME NOW?"
Jeff Guntert - Schenectady, NY
2008 K1200GT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode