K1200GT Awesome-ness - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 2013, 9:35 pm Thread Starter
Addict

K1200GT Awesome-ness

I've had this bike for a few years, but have been using my R1200GSA recently, but -

I just rode my 2008 K1200GT from CT to Florida, all highways (I-84, I-81, I-77, I-26, I-95), and wanted to report that this bike is incredible. All that power is intoxicating, cruising in traffic, need to pass, just think it and you're done. Smooth power delivery with no apparent end. Cruise at 60, 70, 80, 90.....the cruise control is handy.

Ergo's are good, seat (Sargent) not really good for more than 2 hours at a time. Fuel range at 250 miles with 5.6 gallons to refill for $21 or so. BC fuel readings are spot on fo me.

Pegs, even with lowering thingies are still too high and legs get tired (I'm 64), really need some highway pegs to stretch out once an hour.

Plenty of storage with the two side cases, and I added a GIVI E52 for more. Clothes and tools, computer crap, rainsuit, etc all fit. I added a HUGE tank bag for access to goodies up front.

Bike is stock, no gizmos. I added Michelin PR3's great in the wet.

I have added an Aeroflow with side guards. Great protection, but adds to side wind sensitivity, which is NOT a strong suit of this bike anyway.

I would have to say this is a great touring bike for paved smooth roads, highways and twisties.

Knock wood my bike has been reliable, only losing it's ABS pump last year ($$$) but other than that reliable.

Time for me to do the 12K service, which I will do at home.

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project

Last edited by lhendrick; Aug 25th, 2013 at 12:33 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 24th, 2013, 11:42 pm
Addict

I couldn't agree more. I've been riding for over 40 years and my 2006 KGT that I bought new is still the best motorcycle that I've ever owned. I've certainly had my share of issues with it but It does everything great. The only real problem is BMW NA.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 2013, 4:32 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhendrick
I've had this bike for a few years, but have been using my R1200GSA recently, but -
Me too...bought an '06 GS in January and have been riding it almost exclusively.
Quote:
Ergo's are good, seat (Sargent) not really good for more than 2 hours at a time.

Pegs, even with lowering thingies are still too high and legs get tired (I'm 64), really need some highway pegs to stretch out once an hour.
I had a Sargent on the first GT, and opted for a Russell on the '08. Kinda funny looking, but I can be on it all day with no issues. I only had about 22 miles on the Sargent seat, so I can't really give an honest opinion other than to say it was a hell of a lot better than the stock torture device. (First GT got totaled a couple of days after I put the Sargent on it.)
I haven't had issues with the pegs so far, other than taking a few days to get used to the position again after riding the GS.
Quote:
I have added an Aeroflow with side guards. Great protection, but adds to side wind sensitivity, which is NOT a strong suit of this bike anyway.

I would have to say this is a great touring bike for paved smooth roads, highways and twisties.
I also have the Aeroflow system. I love it. Raising the windscreen up about an inch puts me in "The Cone of Silence". I take the lower side guards off in Summer to get more air, too (Los Angeles).
I've become used to the way the bike handles the wind, and I actually like it. I describe it this way:
Normally on a bike, the wind pushes you over (as you would expect). But the GT does this sort of dance that was scary as hell at first. The bike likes to move under you instead of getting pushed over. It feels like it's going to get blown out from under you at times. But once you get used to it, you realize that your body is remaining more or less motionless while the bike does its thing under you.

I agree with John06KGT. This is a fantastic motorcycle. It does everything well. I spend more time in the canyons and twisties than anywhere else I ride it.
Between the '08 GT and the '06 GS, I've got all my moto missions covered. Long tours, canyons, twisties, off road, just about everything but the track. But I know guys that take the GT to the track, and I've thought about it...
It is by far the best motorcycle I've ever owned or ridden. All quirks and design flaws aside, of course.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 25th, 2013, 8:00 am
Addict

nice report!!i had yo modify my gt aswell ,with bar risers ,changed a few seats but still overall a great bike
as far as comfort goes for me the G.S out of the box is ready for 5-600 mike day's wheras i could only do 350 4 on the gt before the nuts had enough!!

i've spent most my money on bike's boat's and broad's the rest i've wasted..
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 28th, 2013, 8:06 pm
Rookie

Thumbs up highway pegs for k1200gt

hello Ihendrick
i am 64 as well and have an old football injury that left my right knee unable to fold all the way.
there are some very good highway pegs that will move your foot 10 inches forward and look great. they fold up very.nicely when not in use and are nicely chromed. no drilling just attach to the existing bracket. e-mail [email protected] for more info. You won't regret it. He is in new mexico.I am near toronto(brampton) ontario and just got back from the blueridge parkway. They are awesome. if you need more info i am at [email protected].
Good luck,
Regards,
Vic
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Aug 29th, 2013, 11:33 am Thread Starter
Addict

thanks Vic.

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 2013, 4:00 pm
Addict-oholic

Hey Larry,
I ordered the "highway pegs" that you are possibly thinking of purchasing. I got them a few weeks ago and they are beautiful to look at and loom extremely well made. I am having Max pick up my bike this week for the 15000 mile service, fix a leaky tire or malfunctioning TPM gauge, as well as mounting these pegs.
So in another week, I can give a full report on these pegs. BTW, I am 76, 6ft 210 lbs and I have a bum knee on one side ( getting it replaced at the end of October).
Since, I ma not too far away, we can meet up for a short ride and you can evaluate them.
Do you ride weekdays or weekends. I am retired, so I can pick and choose. I ride mostly with the Westchester Beemers. This past Thursday 4 of us rode from Somers to Falls Village, CT to the Toymmaker caf for lunch.
Give a shout.

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 2013, 9:28 pm
Veteran

Any one have a picture of these "highway pegs" mounted on a GT?

I went back through this thread: http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26309

But his facebook page and other links there don't seem to have any pics of them actually mounted on a GT.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2013, 11:59 am
Addict-oholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_W
Any one have a picture of these "highway pegs" mounted on a GT?

I went back through this thread: http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26309

But his facebook page and other links there don't seem to have any pics of them actually mounted on a GT.
Robert, I will have them mounted over next weekend hopefully. I will take pictures and share. I did see some pics awhile back before I ordered them. See if this link works.

http://www.i-bmw.com/attachment.php?...5&d=1368360847

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2013, 9:03 pm
Veteran

Thanks Larry. They look good. But from the picture it's tough to tell if they fold up. Looks like they do. I think they'd kind of have to as I'm almost certain I can...(and do)...lay the bike over that far.

I look forward to a review and a couple of pics after you get them.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode