I worried I may have killed her - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 68 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 2013, 10:57 am Thread Starter
Rookie

I worried I may have killed her

My '07 K12GT has 62k miles. At 60k I had a new clutch and new cam chain/sprockets installed. Yesterday I had to have her towed into the dealer - who is closed today so I won't know for sure what is wrong until tomorrow.

I can't even describe very well what happened. The engine seemed to skip or kind of trip over itself. The first time it happened I was passing about 6 cars in a row (boy was that fun! two lane road with a long straight section and no one coming in the other direction.)

I pulled out to pass doing about 50 mph in 4th gear. I ran to about 90 mph in 4th and shift to 5th. At about 100 mph I felt little blip or skip. At 110 mph it did it again. Finished the pass closing in on 120 mph and pulled back into my lane. It's pretty rare that I get to near redline in 5th gear, so I thought it might have been the bike just hitting peak HP or some other silliness.

But when I got to my next pass (this one was much less aggressive) it got worse. I was in 5th gear and when I grabbed throttle the engine definitely skipped/jumped. It did it two or three times. I thought if I just rode gently I could make it home. But I hit an uphill section and while just holding speed in 5th the bike skipped/jump 3 or 4 times in rapid succession accompanied by louder, more concerning noises. So I just parked it and called a tow truck.

I don't really expect anyone to diagnosis it based off this vague email. I'm just typing it out and using the forum as a shoulder to cry on. I'm just terrified the engine or tranny is toast. I can't afford this shit!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 2013, 11:08 am
Addict

Maybe it was the rev limiter kicking in.

Doug Turner
'86 Concours
'99 K1200LT - gone
'06 K1200GT - the new kid in town
'08 Wing - gone
Marshall, TX
post #3 of 68 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 2013, 11:14 am
Addict

Gulp...you got me worried.

Keep us informed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 68 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 2013, 11:50 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsdad
Maybe it was the rev limiter kicking in.
I wish that was the case, but I was only at 5k rpm or so when it really made a commotion and I decided to opt for the tow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmwrs
Gulp...you got me worried.

Keep us informed.
I'll definitely reply and let you know the diagnosis when the dealer gets to it tomorrow.
post #5 of 68 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 2013, 8:54 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by univibe88
So I just parked it and called a tow truck.
Probably a wise move. If anything in the cam drive is wonky (perhaps from the work a few thousand miles ago) then you definitely want the bike examined before valves kiss a piston, vs. after. Same with the clutch, i.e. prevent a minor problem from causing major damage. If you're not sure then parking the bike is always the best option.
post #6 of 68 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 2013, 10:12 pm

How did the bike sound at idle? If it sounded ok your probably ok. If it was running when you shut it down but sounded like a box of rocks you may have jumped a tooth on your cam chain. One tooth you may luck out. two or more and you will be bending some valves. Good luck. Give the dealership the best description that you can so they can determine whether or not they should start the bike.

Brian Ley
2007 GT
2010 650GS
2000 LT sold but not forgotten
post #7 of 68 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 2013, 10:39 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjaun2
How did the bike sound at idle? If it sounded ok your probably ok. If it was running when you shut it down but sounded like a box of rocks you may have jumped a tooth on your cam chain. One tooth you may luck out. two or more and you will be bending some valves. Good luck. Give the dealership the best description that you can so they can determine whether or not they should start the bike.
I really can't recall what it sounded like when I pulled over. I was hauling it down on the side of a busy road. I was more concerned with safely stopping and pulling over.

I did start it to get it onto the flatbed tow truck. It rattled like a sumbitch. The usual cam chain noise, but worse. Although it seemed to quiet down when I clicked it in gear and moved onto the truck.

Who knows. I hope I have an update when the dealer gets it tomorrow. What I put in my post here is a cut and paste from the email I send to them. I really don't know how to describe it any better. If it is a cam chain issue it's going to be a VERY interesting conversation with the dealer considering they just replaced that whole setup 2 months ago.
post #8 of 68 (permalink) Old Aug 26th, 2013, 10:52 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by univibe88
If it is a cam chain issue it's going to be a VERY interesting conversation with the dealer considering they just replaced that whole setup 2 months ago.
Yes, that coincidence is a bit much.
post #9 of 68 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 2013, 12:10 am
Addict

The dealers work on the cam chain sprockets sounds suspect, but at least that work should be warrantied.....you hope.

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project
post #10 of 68 (permalink) Old Aug 27th, 2013, 12:18 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhendrick
The dealers work on the cam chain sprockets sounds suspect, but at least that work should be warrantied.....you hope.
I do hope. I also worry if they will own up to it and admit their mistake if it is their mistake. Who backs dealers for the warranties on their repairs? It's not like the originally factory warranties? Dealers have no problem doing that work b/c they get paid by BMW.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode