Drawbacks to Purchasing 2008 K12GT?? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 2013, 10:10 am Thread Starter

Drawbacks to Purchasing 2008 K12GT??

Hello - I was thinking about purchasing a 2008 K1200GT with 5k miles on it. It looks to be in awesome condition but I was wondering, what would the drawbacks be to purchasing something with so few miles on it? While I agree that it's still like new, my concern is whether it's "too" new, i.e., hasn't been broken in while under warranty. It makes me wonder whether I'll be stuck with some unforeseen repair at the outset that the bike has yet to encounter as a "newish" bike. The seller claims that all the recalls have been done (I will confirm via VIN) and has been started and driven short distances regularly to keep everything lubed.

Any thoughts from the forum on this??? I would appreciate any advice as I'm about to purchase...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 2013, 10:36 am

I did something very similar - in 2011 I purchased a 2008 K12GT with 5605 on the odometer that was a "Program Buyback" from BMW. I now have 15k on the odometer and it has been trouble free.

After reading about the potential issues and related costs, I purchased an extended warranty that covers the bike for 7 years from date of original sale and 100,000 miles while the bike was still under BMW warranty.

If you contact Second Wind BMW in New Hampshire they can sell you a warranty just like I did for peace of mind.

Love my bike!

"CAN YOU SEE ME NOW?"
Jeff Guntert - Schenectady, NY
2008 K1200GT
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 2013, 11:25 am Thread Starter

NJ - is the extended warranty cheaper if the bike is nearer the end of the 7yrs, since one wouldn't have as much time to experience additional costs? Also, what would be the ballpark cost of an ext warranty? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 2013, 12:43 pm
Addict

I have a 2008 KGT. Bought it with 1,700 miles a few years ago. At 10,000 miles the ABS died (the electronic part of the ABS unit), just out of 3 year warranty. BMW split the repair cost with me, but I laid out $1K for that. I do all my own service so those costs are OK. Put a new battery in after 5 years for peace of mind.

This can be an expensive bike to own. Either buy an extended warranty, or set aside you own "repair insurance fund" as I have, for the inevitable $$$$$ cost of repairs. I like to set up my own fund, rather than bet against myself by paying for an insurance policy when I have the money, but many on this site have benefited from a warranty.

The bike, if it is running nicely is a joy to ride. If it has the fast idle issue it is a horror. Make sure you get to test ride it on a really hot day to make sure the throttle is not hanging up.

Check rear end play to avoid a FD $$$$ repair.

Make damn sure the cam chain anti jump guard has been installed to avoid a $$$$ life threatening explosion.

If all this sounds OK to you, buy the bike for a really discounted price and ride.

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 2nd, 2013, 3:59 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAmK12GT
NJ - is the extended warranty cheaper if the bike is nearer the end of the 7yrs, since one wouldn't have as much time to experience additional costs? Also, what would be the ballpark cost of an ext warranty? Thanks!

Couldn't tell you for sure.
Jeff

"CAN YOU SEE ME NOW?"
2008 K1200GT
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2013, 2:42 am

I also bought a 2008 with 1100 miles on the clock. I bought the extended warranty while it was still covered under the original BMW warranty. Money well spent. I have about 11,000 miles on it now, and have had a few things go wrong. The warranty has more than paid for itself. But when it runs out next year, it's all going to be out-of-pocket.
But even knowing that you will probably end up sinking more money into it over the years, IT'S WORTH IT.
It's the best motorcycle I've ever owned or ridden, by far.
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2013, 8:44 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by robday
I also bought a 2008 with 1100 miles on the clock. I bought the extended warranty while it was still covered under the original BMW warranty. Money well spent. I have about 11,000 miles on it now, and have had a few things go wrong. The warranty has more than paid for itself. But when it runs out next year, it's all going to be out-of-pocket.
But even knowing that you will probably end up sinking more money into it over the years, IT'S WORTH IT.
It's the best motorcycle I've ever owned or ridden, by far.
I'll second that statement! I've owned (4) BMW's over the past 20 years and this bike has by far been the most enjoyable to ride...

1985 BMW R80RT - 3+ years 30,000 miles (just married - no kids)
1993 K75RT - 11 months 1500 miles (too small of a bike for me)
1997 K1100LT - 12 years and 35,000 miles (2 small kids tend to limit the mileage)
2008 K1200GT - 2 years and 10,000 miles so far (kids are getting older)

With every BMW I've owned there is always "something" that gives you grief but overall you get what you pay for, and if you fail to maintain the bike it will bite you in the end... Some things just can't be anticipated - ride the hell out of it and get your money's worth!

"CAN YOU SEE ME NOW?"
2008 K1200GT
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2013, 10:45 am
Enthusiast

So it boils down to this: Get a bike that has already had its impending failures (doesn't necessarily mean you will be failure free BUT it increases your odds a bit). If it's the ABS then hope it has already failed and the owner sent it to Module Master.

Or

Get some kind of warranty.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Message sent from my Radio Shack TRS-80 using a keyboard and electricity.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 3rd, 2013, 3:13 pm Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the replies. I actually spoke to the service mgr where the bike has only been serviced and while he didn't know this bike in particular he said to stay away from this model. I spoke to another dealer and he said you can't go wrong for the $, so I will opt in for this reason alone. Gasp....

Here's what's been done to the bike, under warranty, recalls, service bulletins:

1) Abs module, pump and sensor ($2k worth)
2) Clutch housing replaced
3) Strut part repair
4) Brake line
5) New battery
6) Airbox

Apart from the final drive, it seems that the biggies have been done, but then again it's my first foray into the world of BMWs. We'll c what happens....

Thanks again to all who have replied.

Last edited by CanAmK12GT; Sep 3rd, 2013 at 3:19 pm.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Sep 8th, 2013, 9:13 am Thread Starter

I decided to purchase the bike on Wed and I have to say that it's the best bike I've ever ridden. The only complaint is the low windshield, but the CeeBaileys on order should rectify this. Overall, I couldn't be happier. What an awesome handling bike; there's no comparison vs my 2010 Concours, which was the worst bike I've ever owned, handling wise, that is....

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode