K1300GT rear shock failure - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 2013, 9:54 am Thread Starter
Noob
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Redditch, , UK
Posts: 8
K1300GT rear shock failure

2009 K1300GT SE 24k miles and the rear shock is fubar

Basically there is no damping, looks as though the seals have gone and the oil has leaked out.

So, what are the options? A new BMW unit is 1400 , second hand units are on the market for 850 but could suffer the same fate after a few months or replace with a manually adjustable aftermarket such as Wilburs for about 600 plus fitting.

Do I have any other options guys? Is there anybody in the UK who can rebuild the OEM shock or any other aftermarket shocks I should consider?

I am in the West Midlands in the UK.
mharbon is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 2013, 10:08 am Thread Starter
Noob
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Redditch, , UK
Posts: 8
Found the answer!!!!

These guys are based in Yorkshire and do rebuilds of the ESA shocks for 169 plus 9.50 postage.

Result

http://firefoxracing.co.uk/
mharbon is offline  
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 2013, 12:25 pm
Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: New York, NY, USA
Posts: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by mharbon
Found the answer!!!!

These guys are based in Yorkshire and do rebuilds of the ESA shocks for 169 plus 9.50 postage.

Result

http://firefoxracing.co.uk/
I had the same failure at 30,000 miles on my GSA. Oil leaked out, blown seal. Will rebuild soon as I get it back from Europe, installed a slihtly used non ESA shock in the meantime.

I was just going to reply with a Canadian company that rebuild too, until I saw your location. Do they rebuild and make it serviceable too for future rebuilds. In Canada the company charges $470US for that.

Your price looks good. Let us know how it goes.

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project
lhendrick is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 5th, 2013, 2:18 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: bc, , canada
Posts: 178
Whats the company in Canada?

kbikeinbc
kbikeinbc is offline  
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 10th, 2013, 5:21 pm
Addict
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: New York, NY, USA
Posts: 676
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbikeinbc
Whats the company in Canada?

kbikeinbc
http://www.acceltechracing.com/about.htm

Good luck

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project
lhendrick is offline  
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2013, 10:59 am
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 77
My 08 GT just blew its rear shock oil out too. I'd be interested in a possible upgrade if there is an aftermarket compatible ESA shock available. Otherwise, I guess I'll rebuild as I want to keep the ESA function.

Ed Miller,
Calgary, AB, Canada
2008 K1200GT, 2009 F800GS
mcmxcivrs is offline  
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2013, 12:20 pm
IBR# 366
 
Meese's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Oxnard, CA, USA
Posts: 3,140
Works Performance is the only company that can retain the factory ESA function. They do this by removing certain ESA parts from your old shocks, and putting them onto your new shocks.

Wilbers has supposedly been working on an ESA compatible shock for the Slant/4 bikes, but I don't think it's available yet.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
Meese is offline  
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2013, 12:27 pm
IBR# 366
 
Meese's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Oxnard, CA, USA
Posts: 3,140
BTW, pulling/replacing the shocks can be quite difficult.

On the front, you need a special 30mm cutout socket and a 12mm allen wrench, plus it's a bit tight up in there. The allen wrench holds an inner bolt with a very small Nm torque on it, while the 30mm socket turns an outer locknut to a VERY LARGE torque setting, all without disturbing the very small torque on the inner bolt. If you've ever pulled a Paralever swing arm apart you know what I'm talking about.

It can be done at home if you have the proper tools and knowledge, but it's a better job for an experience mechanic than a home tinkerer.

The rear shock is easier, although you do have to remove a lot of stuff to get to it. Don't bother pulling the rear subframe like the manual says. Instead, just pull the oil tank and get in that way. Much easier, and you were planning on changing the oil anyway, right?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
Meese is offline  
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 17th, 2013, 7:25 pm
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Calgary, AB, Canada
Posts: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese
BTW, pulling/replacing the shocks can be quite difficult.

On the front, you need a special 30mm cutout socket and a 12mm allen wrench, plus it's a bit tight up in there. The allen wrench holds an inner bolt with a very small Nm torque on it, while the 30mm socket turns an outer locknut to a VERY LARGE torque setting, all without disturbing the very small torque on the inner bolt. If you've ever pulled a Paralever swing arm apart you know what I'm talking about.

It can be done at home if you have the proper tools and knowledge, but it's a better job for an experience mechanic than a home tinkerer.

The rear shock is easier, although you do have to remove a lot of stuff to get to it. Don't bother pulling the rear subframe like the manual says. Instead, just pull the oil tank and get in that way. Much easier, and you were planning on changing the oil anyway, right?
Not too scared of anything mechanical, I'm above average in the skills dept. and have a pretty good bunch of tools from my former career as an auto tech. I have the factory manual for the bike to reference the technical specs from.

But unless I'm upgrading, the front looks OK still, so I'd only be doing the rear if I go with rebuilding. Ill look into the Works shocks. Anyone have experience with them? is there a marked improvement over the stock ones?

Ed Miller,
Calgary, AB, Canada
2008 K1200GT, 2009 F800GS
mcmxcivrs is offline  
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Sep 30th, 2013, 4:31 pm
Noob
 
Deejay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Norwich, Norfolk, England
Posts: 1
Rear Shock

Quote:
Originally Posted by mharbon
2009 K1300GT SE 24k miles and the rear shock is fubar

Basically there is no damping, looks as though the seals have gone and the oil has leaked out.

So, what are the options? A new BMW unit is 1400 , second hand units are on the market for 850 but could suffer the same fate after a few months or replace with a manually adjustable aftermarket such as Wilburs for about 600 plus fitting.

Do I have any other options guys? Is there anybody in the UK who can rebuild the OEM shock or any other aftermarket shocks I should consider?

I am in the West Midlands in the UK.
Hi mharbon. sorry to hear about your problem. There is a Company in Stowmarket MCT suspension. Ask to speak to Darren or Tom great company our bike club use them a lot for advice and set up and they repair or rebuild most shocks also supplying wilbers for ESA. Also Ohlins supplier as well. You pay until you're a happy chap. All the best Deejay
Deejay is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2010 K1300GT, about 28,000 Miles, Rear Brake Failure edaniel K12/1300GT (Next Gen) 26 Jul 22nd, 2018 9:19 pm
UK: Rear shock failure.. Boncer K12/1300R/R-Sport 20 Aug 22nd, 2013 6:47 am
09 K1300GT front shock failure YAHBO K12/1300GT (Next Gen) 5 Dec 29th, 2009 8:49 am
K1300GT Rear Shock for K1200GT kriemer K12/1300GT (Next Gen) 2 Apr 13th, 2009 11:54 pm
K12RS Ohlin rear shock install Pathogen7 Technical, Repair and Maintenance 4 Jan 26th, 2006 7:27 pm

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome