K1200GT ASC Retrofit - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old Sep 11th, 2013, 10:51 am Thread Starter

K1200GT ASC Retrofit

I was wondering if anyone out there has retrofitted your '08 GT with ASC, and , if so, what was your opinion of it? Did It cause any problems afterwards? Always nervous about messin with the electronics....

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 11th, 2013, 2:58 pm
Addict

I really can't see it being worth the considerable effort (and risk of screwing something up) as ASC isn't really that big a deal. I think I've seen mine activate only once, going uphill on a dirt driveway. I couldn't really tell anything but I noticed the ASC light flicker. I suppose if I rode the bike harder (a lot harder) it might be of some value, but I don't think I'd live very long riding a K1200 that hard on the street.
Old Sep 11th, 2013, 3:14 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller
I really can't see it being worth the considerable effort (and risk of screwing something up) as ASC isn't really that big a deal. I think I've seen mine activate only once, going uphill on a dirt driveway. I couldn't really tell anything but I noticed the ASC light flicker. I suppose if I rode the bike harder (a lot harder) it might be of some value, but I don't think I'd live very long riding a K1200 that hard on the street.
Thanks for the reply. I just recall how traction control saved my arse a few times, especially on the Tail of the Dragon, going thru a sharp curve and hitting gravel. Without TT, I would've toasted my brand new Connie.... As u say, it may not be worth the upgrade... Money better spent elsewhere...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old Sep 11th, 2013, 11:31 pm
Addict

Well to answer your question more specifically, first you must have the later version of the ECU (BMS-KP) but this change was made in mid-2007 so on a 2008 model you probably do. You then need a cooperative and knowledgeable dealer (and the dealer needs permission from BMW) to re-flash the ECU, and of course there is a fee for adding the option in addition to any other labor or parts (as in the handlebar switch, etc.) There was a thread a while back where someone was attempting to do this but I don't remember the outcome. But even if possible it's not easy or cheap so you would really have to value ASC a lot to even consider it.
Old Sep 12th, 2013, 10:13 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller
Well to answer your question more specifically, first you must have the later version of the ECU (BMS-KP) but this change was made in mid-2007 so on a 2008 model you probably do. You then need a cooperative and knowledgeable dealer (and the dealer needs permission from BMW) to re-flash the ECU, and of course there is a fee for adding the option in addition to any other labor or parts (as in the handlebar switch, etc.) There was a thread a while back where someone was attempting to do this but I don't remember the outcome. But even if possible it's not easy or cheap so you would really have to value ASC a lot to even consider it.
Lets face it squarely, We will add ASC to our KGT's for the same reason that we bought the bike in the first place, because we can.

Is ASC worth the cost? Who cares? It is cool, it is complicated and we have BMW's so let's get on with it, and someone dig up the reference to the thread that details how to do it.

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project
Old Jan 1st, 2014, 6:28 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhendrick
Lets face it squarely, We will add ASC to our KGT's for the same reason that we bought the bike in the first place, because we can.

Is ASC worth the cost? Who cares? It is cool, it is complicated and we have BMW's so let's get on with it, and someone dig up the reference to the thread that details how to do it.
Took the plunge and had it installed a month or so ago. Relatively simple to do as I watched the dealer do the work. Haven't tested it yet, but will take BMW's word that it does so, as described.
Old Jan 4th, 2014, 11:03 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAmK12GT
Took the plunge and had it installed a month or so ago. Relatively simple to do as I watched the dealer do the work. Haven't tested it yet, but will take BMW's word that it does so, as described.
Good for you, that's what I'm talking about.

I recall a nasty slip on a patch of slick pavement at an intersection where I did a major tank slapper and thought, wish I had the ASC/traction control.

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in