Rescued 2008 K1200GT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 2013, 5:48 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Exclamation Rescued 2008 K1200GT

Hello everyone. First time posting here, first experience with 2008 K1200GT. Please be gentle.

So I just rescued a 2008 K1200GT with 44000 miles, from Copart junk yard in Spokane Washington. It has minor external damage- front fairing head light and windshield however the inspector estimated 13000$ for repair.

Since I know Nottingham of the bike history I plan to look in every corner and replace or update all the trouble areas like the clutch, air box, cam chain tensioner etc.

I needs recommendations for potential trouble spots and upgrades.
Thanks in advance.

Emanouil

Living one turn at a time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 2013, 5:56 pm

You should be able to get any dealer to run the serial number and tell you what recalls and updates have been done on it. That might save you re-doing those items.

Keep a watch on ebay and the like as body panels show up there periodically. Good luck getting it back on the road.

Ed Miller,
Calgary, AB, Canada
2008 K1200GT, 2009 F800GS
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 2013, 7:13 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmxcivrs
You should be able to get any dealer to run the serial number and tell you what recalls and updates have been done on it. That might save you re-doing those items.

Keep a watch on ebay and the like as body panels show up there periodically. Good luck getting it back on the road.

Thanks. That is a good idea. I have already found front panel. Now I am looking to see if I can upgrade the head light to Xenon or HID. Any advise on that?

Last edited by petvet; Sep 23rd, 2013 at 7:36 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 2013, 9:02 pm
Veteran

Geesh...13 grand? For about half that I'll sell you my 07. It runs and everything!

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 2013, 9:29 pm
Enthusiast

For 13 grand. ...either the adjuster found bent stuff underneath OR he was a friend of the previous owner who wanted it totaled out so he could get away from it. 13k is more than just cosmetics...

As Ed stated, go to a dealer and find out the history of repairs/replacements it has undergone. If their were never any ABS issues listed I would suggest pulling the left panel and seeing if the ABS unit has a Module Master sticker on the motor portion of the unit. If so, you are good to go. If not, you might still be ok with the amount of miles on it....the ABS usually fails rather early on. A little clutch "squak" is normal, don't sweat it unless you feel slipping. This guy : Member id cmscycleparts was parting out a K1300gt. I got a couple of items from him at awesome prices. Not sure what's left but send him a message, he will put up whatever you want if he has it. (just a place to start).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Message sent from my Radio Shack TRS-80 using a keyboard and electricity.

Last edited by moymurfs; Sep 23rd, 2013 at 11:52 pm.
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old Sep 23rd, 2013, 11:40 pm Thread Starter
Noob

I attached I copy of the VIN report got on this bike. I hope any one can find some more about it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf VinInspect.com_-_WB10597078ZN47914_-_Vehicle_History_Report.pdf (1.21 MB, 72 views)

post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 2013, 12:05 am
Enthusiast

Doesn't look too bad....I can't tell from the pics but were the handlebars hit? Are they straight with the wheel? Are the rims still true? From what I can see it does look "minor" (that's kinda a relative term when dealing with BMW damage). The vin report you have pretty much just reflects that it's a salvage/rebuilt title now, you already knew that. Take the vin to a dealer and you will get the info about anytime it was at any BMW dealer getting serviced. That's what you want.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Message sent from my Radio Shack TRS-80 using a keyboard and electricity.
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 2013, 12:32 am
Noob

does the fork look bent to anyone else?

Rt side doesn't look too bad. Have a body guy fix the panels ('bondo') and save some money. The panels can be fixed w/ 'bondo' if you have a good body guy doing the work.

I'm guessing the 13k loss may include the front end damage. all body panels (L, R, front, 1 lower) and bags w/ topcase, mirror, shifter and clutch run around $6500. Shop the panels and you'll be able to put it together on the cheap. I wouldn't expect a big resale on a salvage K12GT though-doesn't seem like a strong market.

have fun-it's a bad a$$ bike.
post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 2013, 2:45 am Thread Starter
Noob

Exclamation

72chevy, if I can fix her I am planning to keep her. Already talked to a body shop that is owned by a friend. But firs I will tare her down make sure all is well. Few upgrades as we'll.
I am open for suggestions but I am planning on a new control arm from Wunderlich, new HID head light since I need to replace it and new muffler probably Akropovich and fog lights.
Si

Any suggestions every one?

Any after market cluch packs?

Last edited by petvet; Sep 24th, 2013 at 3:07 am.
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old Sep 24th, 2013, 2:59 am
IBR# 366

That's a custom seat, probably a Bill Mayer, cut down for a shorter rider.

If you can find the entire headlight bucket complete with the factory Xenon HID bulb and ballast, then you could probably switch to factory HID (you would need a dealer to update the software coding).

If not, then stick with the factory H7 Halogen headlight assembly, then upgrade that with an H7 HID upgrade kit (under $50 for decent kits).

Body panels are pretty much the same on all years, except for minor differences on the newer '09-'10 side panels. They can either be repaired or replaced as needed.

Others have already mentioned the known weak spots for these bikes (ABS, clutch, cam chain guides, fueling issues). Do some reading on this forum to get more details of those things and suggestions for repair/preventative maintenance.

Other than that, you'll just have to tear it down and see what it looks like under there. If the frame/suspension/wheels are straight, the rest of it isn't so bad.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode