Broken Air Box-Need Advise - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 2013, 7:49 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Broken Air Box-Need Advise

Today I disassembled my 06 K1200GT in preparation for a PC-III which should arrive in a couple of days. I was lifting the air box up and this nipple on the left bottom of the air box broke off. Attached to the nipple is a hose approx. 8" in length with a plastic plug in the end (capped off). I can't imagine what this hose is for. Is it for some function in another market? Will I be OK throwing it in the trash and plugging the hole in the air box with silicone? I will greatly appreciate you guys help. Attached pics may make more sense!

Thanks, Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0134.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	1.75 MB
ID:	14761   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0133.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	1.86 MB
ID:	14769  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 6th, 2013, 11:04 pm
Addict

That is a drain for any accumulated oil in the airbox housing (from the crankcase ventilation system.) I'd try to repair it if I could, it's not under any particular stress or pressure so maybe a careful application of JB Weld would do the trick.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 7th, 2013, 6:25 am Thread Starter
Noob

Thanks for the response. I couldn't see any other possible use, however the plug in the hose end puzzled me. I'll crazy glue it back together!

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 2013, 12:18 pm
Rookie

Don't know if you have fixed it or not, but you may also use some brass fittings. Home Depot and Lowes both have brass fittings I have been able to use to fix things like that. Fittings with hose nipples and the like that you can make the hole bigger and thread onto the box. I agree with the JB Weld, I use the hell out of it and it holes once cured in gas and petroleum. But, in case you need back up fix...

TexSon
1979 R65
2007 K1200GT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode