Getting K1200GT on the Center Stand - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 2013, 11:17 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Getting K1200GT on the Center Stand

I have put motorcycles of various sizes on center stands for years (30 give or take) and never had a problem getting a bike on or off one, until I bought the K1200GT. It is not only a PITA to put it on the center stand, but it is also a PITA getting it back off the stand. Is there some special trick to this bike I haven't discovered.?

TexSon
1979 R65
2007 K1200GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 2013, 1:23 pm
Addict

Sorry nothing special that I know of. I'm all of 5'7" and I can easily put it up and off the center stand even fully loaded with the large top box filled.

I almost stand on the CS foot extension but it works.
That being said it also finally cracked and broke due to poor design but now I have it welded back up with a steel rod insert.

You might check the stand bolts and check if they are lubed...might help.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 2013, 1:29 pm

...or hit the gym....

just sayin....

kbikeinbc
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 2013, 2:50 pm
Sooper Dooper Moderator

Michael's mention of a cracked centerstand is worth thinking about... if you're having more trouble than you used to, check the stand to see if it's cracked or bent, and therefore not raising the bike efficiently. If that's not a problem, it's a good thing...

Not meaning to offend by saying obvious things, but here's my own version of putting the bike up on the centerstand:

Left hand holding the left grip, right hand holding the left tie-down rail with palm up, push down the centerstand with the right foot....

Push the bike upright and feel the centerstand bottom with both sides...

Full weight on the centerstand with the right foot while pulling up with the right hand. It's a motion which is sort of akin to trying to pry apart the bike with the right foot and right hand than it is lifting the bike...

Taking it off the centerstand works best for me when off the bike:

Extend the sidestand...

Left hand holding the left grip, right hand holding the left tie-down rail with palm up, left foot positioned just in front of the centerstand to prevent it from sliding forward....

Turn the front wheel slightly to the right so the bike will lean to the left as it comes off the centerstand...

Push the bike forward so that it comes off the centerstand and let it lean into the sidestand.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 9th, 2013, 5:40 pm
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexSon
I have put motorcycles of various sizes on center stands for years (30 give or take) and never had a problem getting a bike on or off one, until I bought the K1200GT. It is not only a PITA to put it on the center stand, but it is also a PITA getting it back off the stand. Is there some special trick to this bike I haven't discovered.?
My bet is that its bent. They weren't designed the greatest. If you go and try somebody else's GT and compare it side by side you'll know. That's what I'd do. My bet it that its a bent centerstand. They bend really easy.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 2013, 10:58 am
Veteran

I park the thing's rear tire on a small 8" square of 1" thick plywood. Makes it a whole lot easier to get it on the centerstand. Just aim for the plywood and drive over it until the rear wheel is on top of it. Sidestand it, and hoist it up onto the centerstand. Less strain on the cheap-ass breaking and cracking centerstand too. Anyplace else gets the sidestand only that has a wide foot plate attached to it (Wunderlich I think, or Fat Foot?).

Sometimes I think the setting of the electronic suspension comes into play as well for ease of hoisting it or not. I know a full tank of gas does with full bags and trunk. I need to fuel the thing 'after' every ride else the fuel strip goes bad for some reason. Seems to have stopped doing that after the third replacement if I keep it full and not partially covered with gas.

Mack
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 10th, 2013, 11:36 am
Rookie

Yup - Great idea. My sister does this (She's tiny) with her K1200RS as well I cut a 2X12 for her a foot long and cut one side on a 60 degree angle so she can push it up.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 2013, 1:44 am
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexSon
The K1300GT and likely the K1200GT have a design issue with the centre stand. Technique likely isn't much of a help if you have been putting other bikes up for years. Brute strength is an asset but proper design should have been the answer. I am coming up on 100 K miles with my K1300GT and have travelled loaded for most of those miles. I seldom attempt to put it up loaded. My '05 R1200RT has about 125 K miles on it and I can put it on the centre stand fully loaded and have likely a few hundred times.

With the K bike, I carry a small plastic block, you can use plywood as was suggested, about 4"x4" to roll the rear tire on just before putting it on the stand. The slight difference in height gives you more leverage. It can still be a pull when loaded. The block can also be used under the side stand when needed, as when loaded, the side stand is sharp enough to drill through almost anything except concrete, especially warm pavement. When I put the bike on the centre stand in my garage, I put a rubber mudflap under the legs. This gives the centre stand grip so you can push it off. Without the mudflap, I could push the bike around the garage all day on the stand. Good luck, great bike.

DA
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 11th, 2013, 12:02 pm
Rookie

I'll echo the remarks about pushing the bike all over the garage on the center stand.....I have a sealed concrete garage floor and it seems like just about every time I try to get it down off the CS, it pushes forward a few times before I give it the right amount of pressure to get it down.

The only time I ever put it up on the CS fully loaded is when I'm on a long trip and I'm fueling it up. Other than that, it's always on the side stand, even though it looks like it's gonna fall over!

This bike is definitely more difficult to pop up on the CS than my past bike was (05 Triumph Sprint ST) but it is also heavier and a longer wheel base.

2007 K1200GT
Dark Graphite Metallic
Bought it with 2,055 miles on the clock - June 2013
Rode 1,100+ miles to get it home
Current miles: 10,350+
Xenon, Remus Hexacone slip-on
BMW small top box (that now likes to fly away on it's own) with pad for the lady

Other Toys
1987 Buick Grand National
2007 Trailblazer SS
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Oct 18th, 2013, 11:13 pm

Centerstand effort

I'm thinking it's a bent centerstand. Very difficult to diagnose because there are no published dimensions to check.

Mine slowly bent over a couple years. Got more and more difficult to get up and down. Finally broke and put the bike on its side in a gravel parking lot. Will need some paint work this winter. Got support from my dealer. They were able to get BMW to chip in the parts free.

New new stand is definitely better. I forgot how easy it was to get up/down.

If possible have your dealer check it. It is a known weak point on the 1200's. 1300 has a new design that retrofits onto the 1200.

Looks like winter is about to make it's entrance here in MN. Crappy summer. Hoping for better riding next year. Time to strip her down and start maintenance stuff.

06 K12GT DGM - Bavarian 'Bahn Burner
08 X6 Sapphire Black - The Batmobile

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode