Installed the Booster Plug today-and other fun things - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2013, 12:20 am Thread Starter

Installed the Booster Plug today-and other fun things

Again...I would like to thank all the people on this board who post helpful hints and provide guidance on maintenance and improvements.

Thanks to you this weekend I did the following:

1. BB Metal QRs - I had a small leak with the OEM and it looks like there are small cracks in the plastic where the male end goes into the tanks. I installed the metalQRs using the goop BB provided and it leaked like crazy on power up so I used some teflon tape on the pipe threads and re-installed and the leak is gone.
2. Booster Plug -
3. Removed stepper solenoid
4. Capped off SRS to eliminate the backfires with the 2 Bros
5. Capped off charcoal canister
6. Replaced O2 sensor
7. Cleaned air filter
8. Tried to remove my broken and bent center stand, but one bolt will not even move!!

Took the bike out for a quick spin around the hood and noticed quite a difference at low speed. No more chug chug chug going slow in first gear anymore. Smoother power from idle up to 6000 rpm. I can't wait to get the CS off so I can zip tie the bottom of the side panels into the holes and go out and flog the thing and see how she reacts.

Taking the tank off is no big deal at all and I made way too big a deal out of it. Yes Dave you were right....again!!! The first time you do something on this beast can be a little intimidating, but take your time and go slow. Once the plastic is off the tank can be removed in less then 5 minutes.

Thanks again for your support and help everyone!!!

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2013, 9:32 pm
Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by K1200GTDallas
.......I had a small leak with the OEM and it looks like there are small cracks in the plastic where the male end goes into the tanks. I installed the metalQRs using the goop BB provided and it leaked like crazy on power up so I used some teflon tape on the pipe threads and re-installed and the leak is gone.....

Mark
BB also makes a clamp to close up the cracks, used with a plastic specific epoxy (Loctite brand is one) this area will be stronger than new.

I think it will start leaking again if you have done nothing to inhibit the cracks from enlarging with temperature cycles of that area over the engine/tanny

'07 K1200GT Crystal Gray Metalic
'00 Ducati 900 Monster
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 21st, 2013, 10:01 pm Thread Starter

Ordered the clamp today...can't wait to tear the damn thing apart again!! NOT!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 23rd, 2013, 4:38 pm
Enthusiast

Nicely done Marky-Mark. Good on ya!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 26th, 2013, 11:29 pm
Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Ordered the clamp today...can't wait to tear the damn thing apart again!! NOT!!!!
At least you will still be able to ride for a few weeks after you are done.
Here the temperatures have caused the water to be very hard - I think its called ice
The rain has turned white and fluffy - there are many Eskimo words for it

You get to pull the tank, I get to put Stable in my tank, attach the battery charger, cover the bike, and maybe just maybe, get to ride a day between now and April

'07 K1200GT Crystal Gray Metalic
'00 Ducati 900 Monster
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2013, 8:17 pm Thread Starter

move south!!! :-)
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 2013, 11:26 am
Noob

Quote:

3. Removed stepper solenoid
4. Capped off SRS to eliminate the backfires with the 2 Bros
5. Capped off charcoal canister
6. Replaced O2 sensor
Can you give a little more explanation or link to threads on why you did these? I also have a Two Brothers V.A.L.E. slip on for my K1200GT and wondered about the backfiring.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Oct 30th, 2013, 2:36 pm Thread Starter

go to the Technical pull down and select the HOW area....everything is there. You can also search for even more info using the Search function too.

There is a post in the Forum titled My Bike is too fast and pulls the front end up in first and second...or something silly like that which has links and info too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode