Updated K1200GT Arrival Date - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 2006, 3:54 pm Thread Starter
Statmaster

Updated K1200GT Arrival Date

I've talked with a few dealer principals who were up at the dealer meeting in New York this past week. Here's the info that I have:

1. May (most likely LATE May) is the arrival date at your local dealership -- Not April as was previously reported... this sucks!

2. Dealer allocation for the K1200GT will be based on pre-orders and how quickly dealers sell their first shipment units -- I'd get one on order now or expect a long wait after they arrive. Based on the pre-announcement orders and interest, BMW and the dealers expect this bike to "outperform the launch sales of the K1200S" (don't kill me, I'm just the messenger).

3. The people I talked to who attended the dealer meeting said that the Xenon (HID) lighting would NOT be an option for the USA. It did not pass the DOT certification as it was too bright -- not an issue, because I can get an aftermarket HID and have it installed cheaper anyway.

4. Your dealer should be receiving an electronic version of all the K1200GT collateral in the next week or so (along with info on the new R1200GS Adventure (June), R1200S (June), and the new R1200RT Police (July) bikes that will be coming this summer -- no word on the F800 bikes was shared with me.

5. As an interesting side note, one of the dealer principals told me that there were two "innovative" features on the GT that won't show up on other BMW bikes until the next model year. There will be a tire pressure monitor displayed on the dash (no details of whether this is an idiot light or a pressure gauge) and that the heated grips will be "automatic" based on the ambient temperature (I asked if there was a high/low override switch for really cold days when you want that extra heat), but got no word.

I'll keep you posted as I learn more.

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 2006, 4:20 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
3. The people I talked to who attended the dealer meeting said that the Xenon (HID) lighting would NOT be an option for the USA. It did not pass the DOT certification as it was too bright -- not an issue, because I can get an aftermarket HID and have it installed cheaper anyway.
Thanks for the information. Still a little confused by two things:

1. The new BMW website, just up today, shows an April delivery for the US.
2. The Xenon light is already availale on the '06 LT's. Is approval for this light a bike by bike process?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 2006, 4:54 pm Thread Starter
Statmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandera
1. The new BMW website, just up today, shows an April delivery for the US.
The May date was the information given to me by 3 dealer principals that were at the dealer meeting in NYC this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandera
2. The Xenon light is already availale on the '06 LT's. Is approval for this light a bike by bike process?
DOT certification for vehicles occurs on a model by model basis. Again, the information I have is from the 3 dealer principals I talked to who got this information first hand at the dealer meeting this week.

Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 2006, 5:01 pm
Lee
Enthusiast

I was at my dealer Thursday and he also said May.

Lee Fillian
Creston, Iowa
03 K1200RS
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 2006, 9:03 pm
jjt

Wink Ordered Graphite K1200GT

Just ordered a GT today, compared to any other bike avail. including yAMAHA THIS SEEMS TO fit a guy that has riden Hondas and Suzuki for years, I hope that the Zenon headlights become available and that delivery happens in April, this seems to be one incredible machine? ordered bike with all the goodies
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 2006, 9:35 pm
Veteran

Now that I am without the S, it sold, the May date seems very far away indeed. BMW Daytona pretty much confirmed your post; the owner told me April/May timeframe, but he knows how eager I am for the cycle and he did put emphasis on May.

I am presuming that I will see one in March at Daytona, Bike Week. Are you aware of anything different?

John
Jacksonville, FL, USA
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 7th, 2006, 10:34 pm Thread Starter
Statmaster

John,

Have you been able to confirm whether or not demo K1200GTs will be at Bike Week in Daytona? One of my sources contacted me late last week to tell me that the press bikes will be at BMW's Bike Week Booth and will be available for test rides. This source isn't as reliable as my others, but has sometimes been spot on.

I'd think BMW of Daytona might have the inside track on that.

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 2006, 8:00 am
Veteran

BMW Daytona says yes, so I will absolutely make sure that I at least sit on one and hopefullly take a test ride. I, perhaps like yourself, am hoping that the 'creature comforts', primarily weather protection even approaches the LT, but will be surprised if it does. The aggressive seating postion of the S doesn't bother me, but for 500-700 mile days, not sure if this old body would tolerate it, so of course seating/ergonomics important. Like many things I presume it will be a compromise, but a very nice compromise indeed!

If I am fortunate enough to take a test ride then assuredly will post a very detailed review for others to make judgment. And, having owned the S can at least make some comparative assessments with some degree of objectivity.

John
Jacksonville, FL, USA
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 2006, 10:01 am
Enthusiast

Been told by coworker that with the bars all the way up the bike sits very much like the RT, at least that is what his impression was. He also said May for delivery.

Pete
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old Feb 8th, 2006, 11:16 am
Veteran

Thumbs up K1200gt

Eljeffe wrote:

"Have you been able to confirm whether or not demo K1200GTs will be at Bike Week in Daytona? One of my sources contacted me late last week to tell me that the press bikes will be at BMW's Bike Week Booth and will be available for test rides. This source isn't as reliable as my others, but has sometimes been spot on."

===================
Here's a response from BMWNA that I received concerning the above subject on Jan. 26th..
----------------------
Hello Clay,
BMW plans to have the demo fleet with new models not yet available in
dealerships. I do expect to have a K1200GT for demo. We will be at the
speedway along with the other manufacturers.
Have a safe ride,
Myrrh Davis
===================

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode