Center Stand bolt removal help needed - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 2013, 12:24 pm Thread Starter

Center Stand bolt removal help needed

HELP!! I may have screwed up...

I removed the right side CS stand stud with a 6mm allen and when I tried to removed the left side...it came out about half way and then STOPPED!

I took it to a local auto repair shop and asked him to put the impact on it for me...well the head is now stripped out.

I tried to tap a Torx head into the stud allen head and I ended up driving the head of the stud back into the countersunk position the stud sits in when tight...and now the head spins and their seems to be a compression nut spinning behind the frame.

How bad did I screw up?

I was thinking I could tap the compression nut back into the hole and use an easy out, but figured I should ask before I took that route.

Thanks!!

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Oct 25th, 2013, 4:05 pm
Enthusiast

So you "tapped" the screw back in?....... You are boned
That is a $13 metal-threaded bushing..part #46 52 7 691 633 (#2 on the diagram)

I assume it's still on the bike? The bushing has a notch/shoulder on it that corresponds to the black bracket that is sandwiched between the frame and stand. The only way the bushing would spin is either without the black bracket(#1) or you sheared the "keyed" mating surfaces of both (doubtful but not impossible I would think). The stand rotates on two O-rings on the bushing (2 each side).
Normally, you back out the screw half-way then tap it to push the bushing out of the bore. Can you drill the head off then use a punch to push the bushing through? When you tapped it did you push the bearing in the bore (good) or did you drive the screw in stripping the threads (bad) ? Hopefully, you pushed the bore and should be able to push it through. You can put it in a vice and get the screw out...which saves the bushing.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ Message sent from my Radio Shack TRS-80 using a keyboard and electricity.

Last edited by moymurfs; Oct 25th, 2013 at 11:16 pm.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Oct 27th, 2013, 12:00 pm
Noob

Those bolts are "one use" then renew I replaced mine with stainless ones which are harder and the head wont strip, medium strength threadlock and away you go, I bought slightly longer bolts and put a half nut on to lock it in place. I know it's a belt and braces approach but that just me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode