GT or LT? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 2006, 9:46 pm Thread Starter
Noob

GT or LT?

I stopped by the local dealer and asked him his opinion. Is it only these guys desire to get you riding what they have in stock? He was really pushing the LT over any other bike. I've always liked the looks of the LT, but I've never wanted the extra 200 lbs. to have to manage in parking lots or driveways. His impression of the S was the steering was too sensitive, ergo, the GT will be too. Is this guy selling a load or what?

What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 4th, 2006, 10:14 pm
Statmaster

I am an LT rider since 2000 (just rolled over 76K). It is the only bike that has been able to give me everything I have wanted in a motorcycle. I am betting the new GT can take me to the next level in what I want out of a touring motorcycle. I had the 2001 and 2002 RS, and even bolted all the previous generation GT stuff on the '02, but it just wasn't what I wanted. The LT is quite capable and surprisingly nimble, depending what you want to do with it, but it's no sport machine. Based on what I have read, heard, and seen, the new GT should fit what I am looking for in a touring motorcycle.

I'm very lucky. My wife rides her own bike, so I don't have a passenger. But if you are riding a lot with someone in the rear seat, it's been reported that there is no other seat more comfortable for the passenger than the K1200LT. Be careful doing that test ride with a passenger, you might just end up buying it.

Become a Supporting Member of K-Bikes.com
'04 Sprint RS Caspian Blue
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 2006, 7:45 am

Dealer Sales

I think, from within my experiences, that you are correct. The dealer sells what he has to sell. It's his job, we should respect that.

I don't think the LT is anything but an Interstate mile burner. Doesn't do twisties well without alot of rider work and experience. I also expect the GT will be a compromise bike for many people and a perfect fit for others.

I finally discovered (realized, ascertained, determined, settled???) that naked bikes light my fire and permit me the type of rides I want. Got off easy since BMW nakeds are the less expensive to acquire, maintain, and enjoy.

Never expected nor got any particularly helpful dealer inputs in that part of the sale.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 2006, 8:07 am
Enthusiast

If you told him you do a lot of two up touring I think he was giving you some good advice.Your SO will love every mile making trip planning a lot eaiser.I put 34K on one in 18 mts.,was very supprised how such a large bike handled in the twisties.I am enjoying my GT now though but my wife rides her own 1150RT,no more two up.

Enjoying The Ride. Eddie Layton
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 2006, 10:14 am
Enthusiast

Some salesmen will try to sell you what they have mostly to get it gone. I try to find out the type of riding you plan on doing to suggest a bike that meets your needs. People coming back to riding after a long layoff sometimes just don't know. Generally speaking the touring bikes have a better passenger seat and as passenger seats go the LT's is as good as they get.

Pete
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 2006, 2:36 pm
Sooper Dooper Moderator

El Jeffe, Just curious. Did you consider the Gold Wing? What prompted you to go to the LT over it? I've got a '03 RS now, with what I like to call the "GT package", which I am very happy with. But over the past couple of years (it's the age thing), I've come to realize that my riding style is probably more suited to the LT or the Wing.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 2006, 3:01 pm

Interesting time with these new bikes. I am personally not impressed with the new GT specs, but I guess if you look at it as a high performance LT then it might do the trick.

If you need all the extra stuff for a passenger who needs the comfort, then maybe its not a bad choice. Personally, I find my 02 RS as big as I would like to go, but that's just me. The RS still handles pretty well, and has excellent weather protection, with some good get up and go. The new GT is so ugly, that will not be my next BMW ride.

If you want to look at something that might be a little different, but looks like a decent tourer, have a look at the new Ulysees from Buell, or the Norge from MG. They have some character and look like they would do the trick. The ST3 is pretty nicely decked out from Ducati, and handles like a dream.

My 2cs
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 2006, 3:03 pm
Statmaster

I tend to forget that the LT is not a sport tourer. I think any of the Ft Worth RS guys can attest to that.

The local Honda dealer is a good personal friend of mine, and I had purchased several bikes from him over the years. He offered me a GL1800 for a weekend to test and give my impressions. I had it for about an hour before I turned it back in. While it has gobs of power, once you leave the interstate for the twisties, you are depositing parts all over the place. The LT stands a bit taller and seems to "fall into" the turns much easier than the Goldwing. For my purposes, the Goldwing just didn't cut it for me.

I still think the new GT will be the way to go. Truely a midpoint between the K1200S/R and the K1200LT.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 5th, 2006, 3:06 pm
Statmaster

I am looking forward to a test on the Ulysses. I am toying with a R1200GS, and want to make sure the new Buell isn't something special. I rode the KTM, and just didn't like the feel.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Feb 6th, 2006, 8:57 am Thread Starter
Noob

Great thoughts, thanks

Thanks for the insights. No, I don't think my wife will EVER ride with me, just not her cup-o-tea, so the pillion won't be used. I do like to take things with me and the type of rider I am is a tourer. However, I LOVE the twisties as I live and ride in the North Georgia mountains, so the bike must be able to lean with aplomb!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode