Brake Failure indicator with Fault 23968 - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 2013, 7:25 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Brake Failure indicator with Fault 23968

SO I get the red brake indicator failure. At first I though I might have trashed the pad sensor wires when doing my own FD service. They appear fine.

THen I think its telling me I I have an ABS failure. So a little test and sure enough I can lock up the rear brake. I did not try the front.

I get the gs-911 all updated and hooked up, (its been 2 years since Ihave used it) and the fault I see is:

23968: Rear Wheel Speed Sensor : No Signal
The fault is currently present.
I also run all other diagnostics for the GS-911 on the ABS unit and they all seem to work.

The speedometer works fine.

This appeared right after I did a final drive service, at home. IN fact when I put the speed sensor in I had a clip wrong so It raised the sensor and when I spun the rear wheel it hit the snesor hard a few times till I realized what I had done, in fact the sensor looks a touch elongated, hmmmm. (It seems my specialty is breaking things when doing service.)

2 Questions, if the rear sensor was truly broken, why does the speedo work? Has anyone replace the sensor. Its about 100 bucks?

Thanks

JH

2008 R 1200 GS ADV
2007 K 1200 GT Graphite
98 HD Sportster 1200C [Sold] (Mistake)
Various dirt bikes in my youth.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 2013, 7:54 pm
IBR# 366

The speed sensors are quite sensitive to position and gap. Might want to check that first and make sure that it's installed correctly and with the specified gap to the toothed wheel.

The 34 52 7 677 824 speed sensor (same part front and rear) runs $90-$100 new. This part is used on current RT/GS bikes as well as current S/R/GT/GTL bikes, so you should be able to find a used one for a good price. Check Beemer Boneyard, Rubber Side Up, eBay, etc.

The speedo is probably still pulling wheel rotation information from the front sensor. In fact, as a test, you could swap the front and rear sensors and see if the error code changes. Just make sure you get the proper gap set.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 2013, 8:28 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Thanks Ken. I'll give it a whirl. Never thought the front would be running the speedo

JH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese
The speed sensors are quite sensitive to position and gap. Might want to
check that first and make sure that it's installed correctly and with the specified gap to the toothed wheel.

The 34 52 7 677 824 speed sensor (same part front and rear) runs $90-$100 new. This part is used on current RT/GS bikes as well as current S/R/GT/GTL bikes, so you should be able to find a used one for a good price. Check Beemer Boneyard, Rubber Side Up, eBay, etc.

The speedo is probably still pulling wheel rotation information from the front sensor. In fact, as a test, you could swap the front and rear sensors and see if the error code changes. Just make sure you get the proper gap set.

2008 R 1200 GS ADV
2007 K 1200 GT Graphite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 2nd, 2013, 9:22 pm
IBR# 366

I don't know if the front sensor always runs the speedo, but I do know that on my GTL, when the front wheel speed sensor was out my speedo worked, but cruise didn't. Turns out I'd bent the wheel speed sensor ring during a tire change, which gave an erroneous reading, so the bike killed the cruise and ABS to compensate.

With the computer brains in these modern bikes, it isn't always quite as simple as "fix that wire" or "change that bulb". Sometimes, it takes a bit of digging, and a lot of luck . . .

I did see several sensors available on the various beemer parts sites the last time I looked though.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2013, 1:39 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Ken thanks for taking the time. Beemer Bone yard had 1 but it was sold. Any other good sites?

Also, where does the rear speed sensor plug into? When I get one, I wanna know is this an hour job, or a 5 hour job.

Thanks

JH

2008 R 1200 GS ADV
2007 K 1200 GT Graphite
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2013, 4:11 pm
Rookie

John,
My front sensor was showing that fault on my K12, so I replaced it and still no go. Took it to the dealer and had to have the ABS unit replaced - luckily under extended warranty.
Hope this is not the case for you.

Brian Louw
2013 K1600GT Light Grey Metallic
2011 R1200GSA
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2013, 4:46 pm Thread Starter
Addict

I hope so as well. I read your thread, and the error was somewhat different, but maybe only yours was throwing the front sensor.

THis appeared to happen after I did the FD old change, but why does the speedo still work? I have read here thats a sign of the fd going out. I dunno. We'll see.

JH

Quote:
Originally Posted by blouw
John,
My front sensor was showing that fault on my K12, so I replaced it and still no go. Took it to the dealer and had to have the ABS unit replaced - luckily under extended warranty.
Hope this is not the case for you.

2008 R 1200 GS ADV
2007 K 1200 GT Graphite

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode