K13GT Rear Brake Pads - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 2013, 2:24 am Thread Starter
Rookie

K13GT Rear Brake Pads

Mmmm

I'm scratching my head a bit here . . .

Just had my 2010 K1300GT serviced and the rear brake pads will need replacing soon.

As the bike is under I warranty I want to use original BMW parts, but happy to fit them myself.

Unfortunately I can't find OEM K1300GT pads online anywhere! The only ones that pop up are the ones with the brake sensor fitted (that are for use on the K1200GT). They look to be the same size but I don't need the sensor wire!

I loathed paying the crazy price for the pads with a sensor wire on my K12; I'll be damned if I am doing it on my K13 (which doesn't use the sensor anyway). Are you supposed to just buy the pad and throw the wire away if you have a K13?

Can anyone shed any light??

Doug
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 2013, 11:59 am
IBR# 366

According to the Max BMW Parts Listing for the K1300GT you want part # 34 21 8 527 518 SET: BRAKE PADS KIT, REAR $109.33. This gives you two brake pads, but no sensor wire.

For the K1200GT you want part # 34 21 8 527 517 SET: BRAKE PADS KIT W BRAKE PAD WEAR INDICATOR $125.45. This gives you two brake pads, plus the sensor wire.

Honestly though, I'd just go with the FA438HH Rear Pads from EBC. They do have the cutout for the wire sensor, but don't include the sensor, so they'll work on the K12GT and the K13GT.

I've picked these up for $30-$40, depending on who has them on sale. A Google search will get you a full set of quality EBC pads front and rear for less than the cost of one set of BMW pads. Note that EBC is a UK-based company, so I'm sure you can find a local distributor or shipper.

Some riders have also used SBS brake pads, but I never tried them, as I never had any issue with the EBC pads in well over 100K miles.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 2013, 5:13 pm
Addict

I've been using EBC per Kens' advice for years. Much better price and no problems. Simple drop in replacements.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 4th, 2013, 9:29 pm
Addict

KEN THE LEGEND!!!when he talks about beemers people listen

i've spent most my money on bike's boat's and broad's the rest i've wasted..
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old Nov 5th, 2013, 12:52 pm
IBR# 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes-ss
KEN THE LEGEND!!!when he talks about beemers people listen
Sometimes, I wish it was BMW that was listening . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 2013, 6:04 am
Enthusiast

The EBC pads I was sold for my 13GT were not correct, but did fit. Both of the EBC pads were the same thickness and they shouldnt be, they also wore to the metal in 7K miles. Ive since swapped to CL pads which I prefer, much less dust and wet weather braking seems better too, also at 15K miles and still plenty left.

Tim
------------------

2011 K1300GT
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 2013, 8:05 am
Addict

ride that thing like a sport bike and you'll need brake's every 10-k,thats how it was for me ,maybe my style of riding not sure but now on the G.S same type of riding ,maybe even more aggressive and brake's fair much better ,i'm sure the weight of the gt is one of the reason's..

i've spent most my money on bike's boat's and broad's the rest i've wasted..
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 2013, 2:30 pm
Veteran

There is an interesting discussion of the EBC vs. SBS brake pads in this thread:

http://www.i-bmw.com/showthread.php?t=30899

At the time, I was using the EBC pads, and had carefully moved my still-working sensors over to the new EBC pads. My philosophy was that you want to replace the pads before the sensor wires wear through, so that you can use the sensors over and over, reserving them for an "emergency warning" when you forget to check your break pads for wear. That said, the sensors are not dependable, and should not replace periodic visual inspections. One of the two front rotors does not have a sensor and may wear out before the other rotor's sensor wire breaks. Furthermore, I noticed that the non-sensored (non-moving) brake pad on the same rotor as a sensored brake pad may wear out and damage the rotor before sensor wire breaks on its piston-side mate.

After I read the discussion about EBC vs. SBS brake pads in the thread above, I replaced the EBC brake pads with SBS brake pads, mostly out of concern for proper ABS function. I carefully removed the sensors from the EBC brake pads and used cable ties to keep them out of the way. That way, they are still available if I want to put the EBC pads back. The SBS brake pads do not have cutouts for the sensors.

Interestingly enough, the EBC pads showed almost no wear at all, despite having ridden 17,213 miles on them. Admittedly, many of those miles were on the Interstates, but I frequently ride my K1200GT in urban areas and on twisties, too. The lack of wear may confirm the assertions about EBC brake pad hardness and rotor wear in the thread above. I have not measured rotor thickness, but they look good.

Subjectively, the SBS brake pads do feel more like the original BMW pads, but perhaps I am susceptible to suggestion.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode