2006 BMW K1200 GT Booster Plug Install - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Nov 22nd, 2013, 5:13 pm Thread Starter
Addict

2006 BMW K1200 GT Booster Plug Install

2006 BMW K1200 GT Booster Plug Install

The following is my attempt at DYI for varying updates/maintenance.
Remove the Battery (see separate DYI in HOW).
Remove side fairings (plastics) (see separate DYI in HOW).
Remove the Fuel Tank (see separate DYI in HOW).

Common experience for most of us:
After running on the interstate for many miles (using cruise control for most of it) I come into towns or side streets and the bucking, lurching, surging starts. Will the Power Commander or the Booster Plug resolve the issue?

Some say yes others say:
Devices like the PC or Booster Plug are designed to fine-tune fuel management, not resolve mechanical defects or running problems.

This DYI is for the Booster Plug:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BoosterPlug-...385468&vxp=mtr
US $149.95
It is delivered from Denmark within a few days. Simple device, plug and play.

Installation requires that the BP be connected in-line with the current fuel management electronics. This connector is located at the rear lower right of the airbox, right next to the 5 manifold hoses.

Unplug using un-locking clip. Plug in the BP (connections are type specific so a no brainer).
Stow the BP device in the are

Next is the routing of the lone remaining cable which has the remote sensor. Its is noted in the directions for the BP that the sensor be placed so that it is in ambient temperature, not near any drastic heat source as the engine, so it up to you where you locate it. I routed it to the right and under the airbox toward the front of the fairing.

I wanted to mount it close to the bikes temp sensor but not attached to it so I removed the right side computer module

and drill holes in the radiator fairing (plastic) and zip tied the cable.

I also wrapped the sensor/probe in a small amount of vinyl tubing to reduce the stress on the sensor cable itself induced by the zip ties.

Booster Plug installation is complete.

Re-install fuel tank, battery, fairings plastics.

I hope all this was helpful.
KBMWRS (Mike)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 2013, 7:32 am
Noob

results

Thanks for the how to, but how is the Beemer running since the install?
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 2013, 10:56 am Thread Starter
Addict

I've only had it out once since (80 mile ride) and it was very smooth and ran like stink.

But then as usual I came to a stop light and it died. It took two tries with the starter to get it going again. Was okay the rest of the ride. I tried to go out last Sunday but the battery was dead. Just got a new Odessey last night so I'll get it out again on Saturday.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 2013, 11:01 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmwrs
I've only had it out once since (80 mile ride) and it was very smooth and ran like stink.

But then as usual I came to a stop light and it died. It took two tries with the starter to get it going again. Was okay the rest of the ride. I tried to go out last Sunday but the battery was dead. Just got a new Odessey last night so I'll get it out again on Saturday.

MY 08 GT runs fine until it warms up. Then the idle races and it dies at stop lights. Bucking bronco syndrome at small throttle openings makes it dangerous in slow traffic around town. I sometimes think it would be easier to ride an all out MotoGP 125 than this beast. Great on the highway though.

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 20th, 2013, 1:00 pm
IBR# 366

Swapping out the battery might be a good time clear the adaptive learning and reset the throttle position sensor. Then give it a few good rides to settle back in.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 2013, 12:34 am Thread Starter
Addict

I reset the throttle position when i did all the work. New battery in and took it for a ride last sat. Ran great with no problems. Very smooth now with immediate response.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 2014, 2:28 pm
Noob

I installed a BP last spring and have ridden 2-3k miles and it has not once died, unlike before when it would do so at inopportune times like coming off the highway to a stop light with traffic all about. Oh yea, the power is much smoother at times, and choppy on some other occasions (maybe when its cooler-but not a scientific observation).
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Jan 17th, 2014, 9:38 pm

Fuel mapping suck on these bikes.
I did everything you all have done and more.
The only thing that really did any good in the long term was Auto Commander PC-V with auto tune that i installed. The boost plug worked out some of the B/B but did nothing for the stalling ..(that almost got me killed a few times!!!.)
I do not run a tune on the bike, did not purchase it to increase hp. Where I did have to add fuel is in the first 2 columns in the auto tuner. This for some reason also increased the rpm at idle a little. So with the added fuel at idle and the increased idle rpm, I believe helps prevents the bike from stalling. Still stalls every now and again but nothing like it was. So I figure these bike are just way to lean at idle and while coming off the throttle. The idle is a little on the low side as well. These combination of these two issues cause mine to stall all the time.
The Bike has been running like a champ ever since...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 2014, 1:00 pm
Noob

Wuka King

I put the Booster Plug on my '07 K1200GT... Fixed about 95% of the throttle problem. Very happy with the results.

Initially I didn't think my '13 F800GS needed it but after a day riding in some cooler weather realized it had a small flat spot. So installed the Wuka King. About half the price and has a toggle switch for outside temperature. Had equally good results. Very easy 10 minute install on the F8. Was a PAIN IN THE ASS to install on the K12, but I did it. And it was worth it.

http://www.wukaking.com/products.html

Last edited by Beairmo; Mar 10th, 2014 at 1:12 pm.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode