2006 BMW K1200 GT O2 Sensor replacement - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 2013, 6:22 pm Thread Starter
Addict

2006 BMW K1200 GT O2 Sensor replacement

The following is my attempt at DYI for varying updates/maintenance.
Parts/tools required:
Bosch O2 sensor to fit all BMW models equipped with an O2 sensor
Item# BB11781464492N $79
http://www.beemerboneyard.com/11781464492n.html
OR
O’Reilly Auto Parts
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...&keyword=15730
Bosch - Universal Oxygen Sensor
Part Number: 15730 $57
22mm open end wrench
Wire cutter/stripper
Soldering gun/wand
Shrink tubing (3/32” or 24 AWG)
Zip Ties
Heat gun (hair dryer)

Replacement:
When doing the wire connections for the O2 Sensor some folks decide to ‘unclip’ the connector which is located under the pilot’s seat on the right, inside the frame. Then when loose the wires can be cut and rewired with the new O2 Sensor’s wires, Getting to this ‘connector’ is arduous and really doesn’t have any advantage other than ‘working’ on the wires at your work bench versus on the bike itself. Much less hassle leaving it all intact and just working with the wires on the bike. No need to touch the ‘connector’.
Disconnect your battery (very important)

Cut the zip ties holding the O2 wire bundle (rubber cover) to the bike.

Pull up the rubber wire cover which covers the O2 wires. Clip or zip tie this cover as high as possible on the wires to give you access to the (4) wires (grey, black, white, white) involved. Cut the wires at intervals so when you wrap up your work there isn’t a bulge where all the connections (soldering) are made.

Using the 22mm open end wrench remove the old O2 Sensor from the exhaust manifold. This may take some torque on your part and spraying the area with Liquid Wrench prior may be of help.
Screw in the new O2 Sensor tight using the 22mm open end wrench. There are no torque settings that I know of so just do it nice and tight. Make sure you do this first and NOT solder the wires first. (You don’t want to be screwing the O2 Sensor in while the wires twist themselves around and around.) Remove rubber wire cover that came with your new O2 Sensor.

Pick a wire (grey to grey, black to black, either white to either white) determine the length and cut. Make sure the length you cut reaches the wire you cut on the bike. Also make sure the length is enough (but not too much….notice my pic on this) so to be zip tied back where the original was zip tied to. Strip enough insulation off each wire and slip a length of shrink tubing sufficient enough to cover your solder work over each wire. Solder each wire (grey to grey, black to black, either white to either white) and slide shrink tubing over the connection and use heat gun to shrink.

Also make sure the length is enough (but not too much….notice my pic on this) so to be zip tied back where the original was zip tied to.

Cut your temporary Zip tie holding the rubber cover tubing and pull the cover over your work. Zip tie to other cables.

Note my error in wire length judgement.

You are done.
I hope all this was helpful.
KBMWRS (Mike)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode