2006 BMW K1200 GT Stepper Motor Relocation - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 23rd, 2013, 6:40 pm Thread Starter
Addict

2006 BMW K1200 GT Stepper Motor Relocation

2006 BMW K1200 GT Stepper Motor Relocation

The following is my attempt at DYI for varying updates/maintenance.
Remove the Battery (see separate DYI in HOW).
Remove side fairings (plastics) (see separate DYI in HOW).
Remove the Fuel Tank (see separate DYI in HOW).
Per “152HP”
The throttle-stop is a plunger like device that engages a white plastic roller that is connected to the rod that all of the butterfly valves are connected to. At some computer determined RPM (I think) the plunger pushes out to prevent the throttle from opening all of the way. That’s right; your GT is not 100% in lower gears. A safety feature for first and second gear I guess. It’s between the 2nd and 3rd throttle body. If you actually remove it from the bike, a code will be thrown for the service tech to see. Shimming it doesn’t worked because it calibrates itself at boot-up. So the trick is to leave it plugged into the system and zip-tie it off out of the way. There is a nice little void to mount it so the plunger can move in and out without making contact with anything.

The ‘Stepper Motor’ is located at the rear center portion of the airbox. The fuel tank is needs to be removed to locate it.
Also shown in the pic is the capped off manifold nipple done for the Charcoal Canister by-pass.

Remove two Torx screws (T-25) and remove ‘Stepper Motor’. Do Not unplug.

Void after removal

Zip tie to side with room for plunger to operate.

Others have suggested to shim the ‘Stepper Motor’ in its current location which would move the device rearwards preventing the plunger from doing its job. The objective in this operation.

Pic from Fergie

JCW noted that zip tying it to oil line which can reach 200F is an argument for shimming.

Stepper Motor Relocation is complete.

Re-install fuel tank, battery, fairings plastics.

I hope all this was helpful.
KBMWRS (Mike)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 25th, 2013, 10:47 pm
Enthusiast

Garage
quote "Shimming it doesn’t worked because it calibrates itself at boot-up. So the trick is to leave it plugged into the system and zip-tie it off out of the way. There is a nice little void to mount it so the plunger can move in and out without making contact with anything." unquote

Shimmed out far enough that it doesn't contact with anything at full extension does the same thing, and there is plenty of room to do that.

'07 K1200GT Crystal Gray Metalic
'00 Ducati 900 Monster
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 26th, 2013, 9:33 pm
Enthusiast

Please let us know what if any improvements occur with the stepper motor having been disconnected.

Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 27th, 2013, 11:10 am Thread Starter
Addict

Well I went for a 80 mile ride last Saturday. Since I did ALL the upgrades I noted it would be hard pressed to decern which actually felt different.

I can say the bike ran very, very smooth. Throttle response was immediate. I tried rolling it on hard in first and second gears....what can I say ...it was fast.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Nov 29th, 2013, 12:21 pm
Addict

Talking

It was fast BEFORE you removed the stepper motor.

bert brumfield
kernersville, NC
1998 K1200RS [TAXI],
2007 K1200 R-SPORT
207 k1200GT
MSF RIDER-COACH
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Dec 8th, 2013, 1:16 pm
Rookie

I can honestly say I can't remember the last time I used W F O in first or second gear. The first time I ever wacked WFO in first was from about 5mph. The front end started climbing off the ground. I definitely don't need more power there.

McWideglide

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode