Rear wheel wobble - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old Dec 26th, 2013, 11:10 pm Thread Starter

Thanks

Last edited by CanAmK12GT; Dec 28th, 2013 at 4:20 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 2013, 11:22 am
Addict

I would think it is not a coincidence that the wobble came after a recent tire change, which included rear wheel removal. I would take the wheel off and make sure the fasteners were done up right and that the wheel was mounted properly to the hub. After that it gets $$$$.

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 2013, 8:35 pm
Addict

Yep, I missed the brake rotor wobble. Good luck.

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old Dec 27th, 2013, 9:07 pm
Addict

can you post a vid??

i've spent most my money on bike's boat's and broad's the rest i've wasted..
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old Dec 28th, 2013, 6:49 am
Addict

We are assuming since the brake rotor is out of true that the wheel RIM must be, which excludes the tire?

The rear wheel bearing should not go out of true like you said. Is this something you just noticed after the tire change, or could it have always been there?

"It is the rear end and not just the wheel" - are you sure it is the brake rotor relative to the casing of the rear drive and NOT the complete drive itself (swingarm bearings?)?

The only thing I can think of is the rear wheel has taken a big knock from a road hole and the wheel shaft/hub has bent?

You should also rotate the hub/wheel and check the ABS sensor spacing at several wheel positions. If the hub is badly out of true, you may even spot zero clearance and wear on the sensor surface from the ABS ring teeth making contact.

Remove the rear wheel and confirm the rear brake rotor is running out of true as well as the ABS ring. If they are then I am sorry but you have to do some serious investigation on the rear drive hub.

It is not good to keep riding the bike like this, more expensive damage can be done and there is always the risk of a total rear end failure at speed. I am surprised you have not noticed something through the rear brake pedal, but then with servos, maybe not.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 2013, 2:41 pm Thread Starter

We removed and replaced the wheel flange with another one, which seemed to help a little. My feeling is that the hub is either bent or the threads were not correctectly machined. Perhaps I will replace the brake rotor, but it seems that no one, other than BMW, seems to manufacture these anymore, unless someone out there knows where to get one, but $400 from BMW is too steep.

The alternative is to replace the entire final drive, but I may wait until it actually fails. I'm willing to pony up the $$$ if that solves the wobble and potential future FD failures. I heard the replacement is made slightly different, possibly averting future failures. Anyone know if this is the case?

What to do??
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 2013, 3:57 pm
IBR# 366

EBC makes brake rotors for the Slant/4 bikes. I may even have a new one sitting in my garage . . .

The K13GT final drive does have some internal improvements. There were a few outer oil seal leaks (not catastrophic at all), but no major bearing failures that I'm aware of.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old Dec 29th, 2013, 10:35 pm Thread Starter

Ken, r u sure? The local repair shop said he couldn't get them for the rear anymore from EBC. I too have perused the web and have had no luck... The front rotors are avail, but not the rear... :dunno:

Last edited by CanAmK12GT; Dec 30th, 2013 at 9:11 am.
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 2013, 1:33 am
IBR# 366

I'm sure I have one new in the box somewhere in the garage, along with the mounting bolts. Let me see if I can find it . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old Dec 30th, 2013, 10:42 am Thread Starter

Meese, I just found one MD688 on perfectbrakes.com, so will give that a shot. Certainly a lot less expensive than oem, and I think EBC has a pretty good reputation..?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode