Auxiliary Lighting - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 2014, 11:52 am Thread Starter
Noob

Auxiliary Lighting

Last year I saw a post about a lighting kit that mounted low on the front fork - near the wheel axle - of course - now that I want to install long range lighting I can't find it anywhere. Does anyone have a recollection about this particular kit - it was kind of expensive - like $300.00.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 2014, 12:43 pm
Addict

Motolights http://www.motolight.com/product/Cal...%20Light%20Set

More like $400+

They came with my 08 GT. Look nice, not much light down the road, but add to front conspicuity with a triangle of light. You can add brighter LED bulb conversion

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 4th, 2014, 4:51 pm
IBR# 366

Motolights are nicely crafted (although they do tend to go through bulbs) and will increase your visibility to other vehicles by creating an unusual triangle of light, but they are expensive and don't give very much down-the-road illumination for the rider.

If you want useable light thrown way down the road (as well as increased conspicuity), I'd look at the Clearwater LED Lights. They're not cheap either, but they are well made and put out a ton of useable light. Clearwater even has bracket kits for many common bikes, including Beemers.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 6th, 2014, 8:27 pm
Noob

Alternative to Motolights

I had similar ideas in that I thought the GT needed additional lighting particularly where I live in the Sierra's with deer etc. (although I was blindsided in broad day light by a deer which took care of the left side of the bike). My negatives for the Motolights were the location, lack of power, and cost. My alternative was to add two LED instruments (#44) from ADVmonster (http://stores.homestead.com/hstrial-...StoreFront.bok)
and placed them under the oil cooler.

I then added a smart controller from Skene Design (http://www.lights.skenedesign.com/IQ_175.shtml). Jerry has a specific controller that works with the Canbus system. The advantage of his switch is that you can leave the lights on with your low beams at a lower setting so they act as running lights, but then switch on with the high beams to full power. They give a wider pattern to cover the roadside as well as more power than the high beams.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lights.jpeg
Views:	22
Size:	86.7 KB
ID:	15249  
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old Jan 7th, 2014, 2:54 pm
Enthusiast

Garage
I just wanted the triangle of lights, and I am cheap.

9 watt led "fog" lights found on e-bay for $6 and a deer whistles $3 (the ones with the round bell work best)
Drilled out the whistles and added the lights to them, very bright, almost annoying.
Double sided tape on the light system, lets you mount almost any where.

Too cold to go out to the pole barn and uncover the bike and take pictures of the installation. (-3F and a foot of snow).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lights.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	587.0 KB
ID:	15265  

'07 K1200GT Crystal Gray Metalic
'00 Ducati 900 Monster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode